Levar Burton on Jeopardy

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mike Richards’s Rise to ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Sparks Questions About Past - The Ringer

I'm a lifelong fan of LeVar Burton, and have nothing but the utmost respect for him, but I honestly wasn't impressed with his Jeopardy stint. That said, this article puts into perspective the ways they really weren't ever interested in making him the host:

• Gave him only one week of shows when other hosts got at least two;
  • Crammed his sole week of shows into one day of taping, when other hosts got at least 2-3;
  • Put him up against the Olympics, where his episodes would be pre-empted on NBC affiliates carrying the games;
  • Received direction from Mike Richards not knowing that Richards wanted the job himself
That's not to say that LeVar deserves the job necessarily. I figured some of this had to do with the fact that he was never one of the original planned guest hosts, and only got the gig due to a fan campaign. But I have no doubts the new host (and EP of the show) Mike Richards would purposely sabotage LeVar, knowing that he was by far one of the most popular candidates and Richards wanted the job himself. :mjpls:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Mike Richards’s Rise to ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Sparks Questions About Past - The Ringer

I'm a lifelong fan of LeVar Burton, and have nothing but the utmost respect for him, but I honestly wasn't impressed with his Jeopardy stint. That said, this article puts into perspective the ways they really weren't ever interested in making him the host:

• Gave him only one week of shows when other hosts got at least two;
  • Crammed his sole week of shows into one day of taping, when other hosts got at least 2-3;
  • Put him up against the Olympics, where his episodes would be pre-empted on NBC affiliates carrying the games;
  • Received direction from Mike Richards not knowing that Richards wanted the job himself
That's not to say that LeVar deserves the job necessarily. I figured some of this had to do with the fact that he was never one of the original planned guest hosts, and only got the gig due to a fan campaign. But I have no doubts the new host (and EP of the show) Mike Richards would purposely sabotage LeVar, knowing that he was by far one of the most popular candidates and Richards wanted the job himself. :mjpls:

Nahhhh breh. Lavar Burton was terrible and only biased people think he deserved the job. He was at the bottom of the priority rankings as other high profile celebrities and athletes were going to get the priority spots and treatment over him because of who they were. Even then, a lot of the other celebs and athletes with no background experience like him did a better job and that’s no shot at him. They had to fit him into the schedule the best way they could to appease the fans who were complaining, so him getting less time makes sense.

I honestly think they wanted to give Mayim Bialik the job full time, but her Hollywood schedule wasn’t going to allow it to happen so they added her as host for prime time specials instead.

Last edited: