Lil Nas X album set to be outsold by CLB's week 3 numbers

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
There’s No WAY any reasonable person thought this. Lil Wayne doing a millie first week was a phenomenon built up through YEARS of him grinding, putting out hot music, and getting the right push at the right time. I’m not a Lil Wayne fan in the slightest nor do I even really like Carter 3 but Wayne was UNDENIABLE in 2008.

Lil Nas X in no shape, form, or fashion is, in 2021, UNDENIABLE. And that is for many many reasons. He’s popular yes, and in 2021 150K first week is exactly what “popular” gets you. But besides the hype centered on the CONTROVERSY he creates. Name me ONE thing about Nas X that makes him stand out in 2021? He was actually more organically viable as an artist back in 2019 when Old Town Road popped and he put out that 7 EP.

Lets keep it all the way real, with NO hate whatsoever intended to Lil Nas X. He would have sold more and had more of a chance of being UNDENIABLE as an artist if he hadn’t went the route of extreme controversy. Its EASY to be controversial. It is not EASY to be a genuinely engaging artist. You want to live your truth as a homosexual male? There’s no problem with that. Be who you are. But if you want to be a CROSSOVER pop star you’ve got appeal to a wide demographic.

Straight, Gay, Black, White, whatever. Old Town Road is an appealing song. My young daughter LOVES that song. Its fun to sing along to and the music video is funny.

Now ask yourselves, who REALLY fukks with songs where the video imagery is getting smashed by Satan? Ok that might fly as “pushing the envelope forward” type of statement. If Nas can get pinned to the cross in Hate Me Now. If Childish Gambino can shoot a black church congregation with an AK in This Is America. Then how can we begrudge Lil Nas X doing his thing? Ok fair enough.

But then your SECOND song/video portrays men in prison engaging in activity that has historically been juxtaposed with the RAPE of men. Forcefully emasculating them in captivity. If your goal as a “crossover” artist is to get as many people as possible to be fans of yours well then you just alienated any and every straight male who isn’t down with a visualization that implies the celebration of male rape.

When Lil Wayne dropped The Carter 3. People fukked with Wayne’s image, his persona, and most improbable his MUSIC. Nobody is really talking about Lil Nas X’s MUSIC. Just his image and persona. Frank Ocean can drop right now and do no less than 250k first week, and he’s been outwardly Gay for a decade. But Frank Ocean’s brand is focused on his MUSIC. Which is why he’ll be around for a long time. Lil Nas X is setting himself up to be a flash in the pan artist

I’m sure you made some points here but this is entirely too many words about Lil Montero

razassin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why ''sales'' still the unit for music?

:mjlol:

Spotify/Apple music streams and youtube views is the new unit standard

Also fukk this fakkit

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
People dont realize not many people are buying single tracks nowadays unless they're true blue fans.

It's funny we're in a digital age but even then we don't have accurate streaming numbers.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
People dont realize not many people are buying single tracks nowadays unless they're true blue fans.

It's funny we're in a digital age but even then we don't have accurate streaming numbers.
It’s cause legitimate streaming farms and streaming parties have ruined the numbers.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

He’s a singles artist not an albums artist. He got like 3 different #1 songs now. He making his label some good money