Lil Wayne calls Andre 3000's remarks about rapping over 40 "depressing"

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Yea because they trying to keep up and stay relevant to the youth instead of cultivating their own base. And we got other rappers who do their own thing;

Nas. Killah priest. Jay elect. Slick rick. Mos def. fukk even talib who i despise. Method man. Raekwon. Etc etc etc

So whos fault is it man? The world? The world cant take resposibility. Only man can. Stop making excuses. Its a dumb thing to say and hes been saying it for YEARS. literally can rap about anything and he crying he got no subject matter. The world is falling apat around us. We just had a global pandemic. We got a drug epidemic that eclipses anythjing weve ever seen. The streets are a mess. He wouldnt know i guess since hes playing flute wuth his nose up in the streets

Nas didnt rap about grown man shyt on life is good abou marriage and being a father? Are his raps played out?

Jay didnt attenot the same thing with 444?

He can write stuff like int playas anthem then but cant now? He could rhyme about relationships on art of storytellin but vamt now? Ok…

He can show and write a verse when asked for a feature tho. Thats no problem…

just admit hes not the creative genius yall took him for. Giys like ghostface rapping about a forest of cartoons, gettin whipped as a kid, looking at the sun, praying to allah underwater, and talking shyt to a wrist watch… like 20 years ago. Doom never did any of that young rapper shyt and became a top draw doing his own thing. Amdre has NO excuses
You're using songs and pretending that makes the lion's share of these albums. They don't.

After the "Mama did this when I was 8", "my son whipped over a hoe and won't listen", "I sat in the car for 3 hours and thought it was the Mother Ship", records, there's gonna be 10 more records. Which for everyone else was standard rapper content.

You even said Jay "attempted" to be grown up. Did he attempt or did he do it? Why is an attempt?

Cause niqqas didn't want to hear and/or wouldn't buy that talk coming from Hov.

You proving Andre's point every time you post lol

Yes, it's "the world's" fault. I'll keep "making excuses" because it's factual. These 40+ rappers are talking standard rapper shìt for 90+% of their material.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
No, it's not his fault.

Again, stop using Nas, or any of these rappers. They're not talking about anything specific to be his age. None of these dudes are.
Marriage, divorce, investing, health, having grown kids, navigating the industry as an older person, life lessons he learned as he’s gotten older. None of that is age specific? Nas speaks like a grown man. Why does hip hop have to have a fukking age when other genre’s don’t? As long as u can fukkin rap and do it effectively who fukking cares? U nikkas don’t like rap on this site anyway.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Marriage, divorce, investing, health, having grown kids, navigating the industry as an older person, life lessons he learned as he’s gotten older. None of that is age specific? Nas speaks like a grown man. Why does hip hop have to have a fukking age when other genre’s don’t? As long as u can fukkin rap and do it effectively who fukking cares? U nikkas don’t like rap on this site anyway.
That stuff makes up the lion's share of his material? And no, I'm not moving any goal posts before you try that move because I just made that point in my last response to someone else. A couple bars thrown in per song, and 3 records on a full length album don't justify being examples to discredit Andre.

If you have to ask why hip-hop feels/is restricted by age, I don't know what to tell you. You know the answer. You need to ask why the majority of 40+ rappers still talk about the things that relevant to them at 25.

If you think we don't like rap on this site, why are you here?

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because that one man is Andre 3000 and as such an influential figure in the game, he'd like him to feel differently. Especially when hip hop as a whole is fighting the "young man's game" gesture as the 2000s and newer generation of rappers grow older

If the old rappers aint willing to be OGs and go against what the young rappers are pushing. Get them outta here too:camby:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I hear you

But both of em so raw at rap

They could make the normal day to day sound spectacular,

Especially to someone not even in or removed from the world of fame

While I love Dre, I personally get tired of hearing about how much he doesn't want to rap lol, I got negged for it several times saying it jokingly but when he announced the flute project I'm like that's cool...but here's another I'm too old to rap/don't have anything to rap about campaigne.

Now that the hype has kind of passed, I get where he's coming from but I also see it from both ends. The genre (not the artform of rap nessecerily) can keep you stuck in a particular mindset or way of expressing when it's being done for an audience. But also, if you're a dope MC and a creative, there are no limits to what you can rap about at any age, I HATE the notion of putting that limitation on rappers as a whole, but Dre is speaking for himself.

The way that the RAP GAME (the industry, not the art or the culture) has gone over the last decade or so up til now, I can see the need to pivot into other types of expression so salute Andre for that.

But we don't know much Hip Hop (again, not the rap game) and the art of rhyming can progress and mature if we establish a cut off point and barriers around what can be talked about.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Yea because they trying to keep up and stay relevant to the youth instead of cultivating their own base. And we got other rappers who do their own thing;

Nas. Killah priest. Jay elect. Slick rick. Mos def. fukk even talib who i despise. Method man. Raekwon. Etc etc etc

So whos fault is it man? The world? The world cant take resposibility. Only man can. Stop making excuses. Its a dumb thing to say and hes been saying it for YEARS. literally can rap about anything and he crying he got no subject matter. The world is falling apat around us. We just had a global pandemic. We got a drug epidemic that eclipses anythjing weve ever seen. The streets are a mess. He wouldnt know i guess since hes playing flute wuth his nose up in the streets

Nas didnt rap about grown man shyt on life is good abou marriage and being a father? Are his raps played out?

Jay didnt attenot the same thing with 444?

He can write stuff like int playas anthem then but cant now? He could rhyme about relationships on art of storytellin but vamt now? Ok…

He can show and write a verse when asked for a feature tho. Thats no problem…

just admit hes not the creative genius yall took him for. Giys like ghostface rapping about a forest of cartoons, going to elementary school, gettin whipped as a kid, looking at the sun, praying to allah underwater, and talking shyt to a wrist watch… like 20 years ago. Doom never did any of that young rapper shyt and became a top draw doing his own thing. Amdre has NO excuses. Its called an imagination. Use it.

The real "ageless" part of Hip Hop is storytelling, you can rap a story in the present tense and not have it be bogged down by all the previous shyt you ever rapped about in your life. Using your words, "imagination" is really the only limitation to telling a good story. However, rap fans rarely separate a rapper's persona from the stories they tell. Rappers aren't authors, they're not given carte blanche to juggle different universes, different genres, etc. The listener expects the cast of characters to more or less be the same.

Using your examples, Jay-Z and Nas are now looked at as Hip Hop moguls & 1%ers, the "evolution" of their content is largely that when they brag, their fans now see it as "goals". However, both of them have experienced difficulties catering to fans of their earliest material when that material was essentially written by a different person living a different life.

The commercial narrative about Nas's career shifted due to his individual success as an investor/businessman. On his last six albums, when he raps in first person and takes his listeners for a limo ride down memory lane past his earliest Hip Hop inspirations and revisiting old street shyt, the underlying fan sentiment he's fishing for is that he progressed from that. For whatever reason, Nas cares a lot about framing what his fanbase thinks about his newfound wealth and not wanting them to see a disconnect between that and the street oracle persona that inspired his first ten or so albums. He spends the majority of his new albums rapping in past tense, holding onto the past on some origin story shyt.

Nas's best songs in the last 10 years have all been pure storytelling tracks rapped in present tense. That being said, he himself usually limits his storytelling tracks to the street oracle variety.

Jay-Z raps predominantly in present tense on every album because his persona has more or less always been hustling for the sake of hustling. He can still hustle in a boardroom so there's no real disconnect in his content. However, he also hasn't dropped an album in seven years, possibly because he got tired of rapping about hustling and there isn't anywhere "grander" per se to rap about. Also, 90% of the time he raps addressing "you", e.g. the listener who covets what he has. Jay-Z is not a "look in the mirror" type of rapper and he doesn't have any real type of point to make either.

Quoting what I said earlier in the thread, most rap music is caught up in making a point to someone, proving someone wrong, in response to someone else's bullshyt or trying to win someone over... 90% of the time, the energy behind a rap track is directed at someone. Rappers who obsess over what their fans think about them will always have someone to rap for. Rappers who chase p*ssy like their life depended on it will always have someone to rap for. Rappers who care about maintaining a street persona will always have someone to rap for.

A rapper who is happily married, despises fame, doesn't maintain a street rep, isn't being targeted by anyone in particular and isn't running for political office isn't necessarily gonna feel the same compulsion to rap for someone else. IMO when Andre 3000 says he doesn't know what to rap about, he means he doesn't know who he'd be rapping for. When you already made the point you wanted to make to your audience when & how you wanted to make it, either you're gonna have to repeat yourself or you have to find a new point to make.

A lot of fans would be more than happy for him to repeat himself for an album or five, but if he truly despises what comes with fame then that isn't enough motivation for him to put himself out there again like that unless he really had some shyt to get off his chest.

Last edited:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The real "ageless" part of Hip Hop is storytelling, you can rap a story in the present tense and not have it be bogged down by all the previous shyt you ever rapped about in your life. Using your words, "imagination" is really the only limitation to telling a good story. However, rap fans rarely separate a rapper's persona from the stories they tell. Rappers aren't authors, they're not given carte blanche to juggle different universes, different genres, etc. The listener expects the cast of characters to more or less be the same.

Using your examples, Jay-Z and Nas are now looked at as Hip Hop moguls & 1%ers, the "evolution" of their content is largely that when they brag, their fans now see it as "goals". However, both of them have experienced difficulties catering to fans of their earliest material when that material was essentially written by a different person living a different life.

The commercial narrative about Nas's career shifted due to his individual success as an investor/businessman. On his last six albums, when he raps in first person and takes his listeners for a limo ride down memory lane past his earliest Hip Hop inspirations and revisiting old street shyt, the underlying fan sentiment he's fishing for is that he progressed from that. For whatever reason, Nas cares a lot about framing what his fanbase thinks about his newfound wealth and not wanting them to see a disconnect between that and the street oracle persona that inspired his first ten or so albums. He spends the majority of his new albums rapping in past tense, holding onto the past on some origin story shyt.

Nas's best songs in the last 10 years have all been pure storytelling tracks rapped in present tense. That being said, he himself usually limits his storytelling tracks to the street oracle variety.

Jay-Z raps predominantly in present tense on every album because his persona has more or less always been hustling for the sake of hustling. He can still hustle in a boardroom so there's no real disconnect in his content. However, he also hasn't dropped an album in seven years, possibly because he got tired of rapping about hustling and there isn't anywhere "grander" per se to rap about. Also, 90% of the time he raps addressing "you", e.g. the listener who covets what he has. Jay-Z is not a "look in the mirror" type of rapper and he doesn't have any real type of point to make either.

Quoting what I said earlier in the thread, most rap music is caught up in making a point to someone, proving someone wrong, in response to someone else's bullshyt or trying to win someone over... 90% of the time, the energy behind a rap track is directed at someone. Rappers who obsess over what their fans think about them will always have someone to rap for. Rappers who chase p*ssy like their life depended on it will always have someone to rap for. Rappers who care about maintaining a street persona will always have someone to rap for.

A rapper who is happily married, despises fame, doesn't maintain a street rep, isn't being targeted by anyone in particular and isn't running for political office isn't necessarily gonna feel the same compulsion to rap for someone else. IMO when Andre 3000 says he doesn't know what to rap about, he means he doesn't know who he'd be rapping for. When you already made the point you wanted to make to your audience when & how you wanted to make it, either you're gonna have to repeat yourself or you have to find a new point to make.

A lot of fans would be more than happy for him to repeat himself for an album or five, but if he truly despises what comes with fame then that isn't enough motivation for him to put himself out there again like that unless he really had some shyt to get off his chest.

:whew:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Nobody has asked this question

Does Wayne fanbase, who grew up with him want to hear him still rap??

Also, is he rapping for his child hood, hot boy, the Block is hot fan base?

What fanbase is he still rapping for at the age of 42?

Who will he rap for when he hits 50?