Little Brother - May the Lord Watch (Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'The Booth' started by TheDarceKnight, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Deflatedhoopdreams

Deflatedhoopdreams Superstar Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The Rucker
    Coli Cash:
    $164641.47

Yes

Ironman, NYK Loyalist and TheDarceKnight dapped this.
  2. tru_m.a.c

tru_m.a.c IC veteran Staff Member Hall of Fame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
    Coli Cash:
    $102.00

Who owns the Little Brother name? I'm surprised 9th hasn't sued them over this. Doesn't Juicy J and DJ Paul both own the 3 6 name which forced DJ Paul to produce songs under different monikers?

3. aceboon

aceboon Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $1345000.00

Probably gave that up when he left the group

Ironman, TheDarceKnight and Ziggiy dapped this.
  4. Rekkapryde

Rekkapryde GT, LWO, GGKTA, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD! Hall of Fame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    TYRONE GA!
    Coli Cash:
    $1844315.00

church and repped

TheDarceKnight dapped this.
  5. TheDarceKnight

TheDarceKnight Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jiu Jitsu
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I should know but I actually don't.

The thing is that 9th cares so little about it compared to Pooh and Tay. I guess he could be super petty and sue if he owned the name, but it's like they've been saying when asked on this podcast run they've been doing...LB was mostly a side interest at best for 9th after The Listening. So I doubt he even cares like that.

And I don't want to comment too much on The Listening since half of it was done before I met any of those dudes, but sessions were going on every single night with the entire J League. For example I wanna say Away From Me by LB and How Big Is Your World by Median were recorded on same day.

Legacy and 9th would do 2-3 joints a day on some days, and all of this was in the same room and running concurrently with The Listening sessions. So LB would do a song or 2, and then Comanche or Median or Legacy or Sean Boog or Floe would step in and do one, then LB again...it was a revolving door. What I remember most in that 01-03 period about LB was Pooh and Phonte writing their verses in a car together with the beat playing. But the idea that 9th, Phonte, and Pooh all got together and recorded this album between the 3 of them is not at all how it went down. The Listening and the bulk of of what became Paper Gods by Comanche, Project Mayhem by Legacy, Relief by Median, and even Sleepers by Pooh, was all recorded in the same window of time, in the same studio (Comanche's living room). Not to mention all the joints recorded for albums that either never came out or came out years later from Chaundon, Joe Scudda, Away Team, Edgar Allen Floe, Thyrday, the list goes on.

Honestly 9th recorded way more joints with Legacy than anyone else during that Listening recording session era. Leg recorded as much as music as Pac. He and 9th probably made a good hundred joints in the stash from 2001-2003 alone.

One thing about LB in general is they have almost no material on the cutting room floor from any time period. Basically everything they've ever recorded (at least from 2001-2010) has been released.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. TheDarceKnight

TheDarceKnight Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jiu Jitsu
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Yep. I'd take it a step further and say he basically just let them use their beats. He liked recording during the day. They liked recording at night. He was in maybe the first quarter of the recording sessions and then tapped out. It might be in the liner notes, but I know Lovin' It, Not Enough, and Slow It Down were some of the earlier joints recorded. Maybe he was there for those. Khrysis recorded the bulk of the songs, and 9th would listen to the joints later. I remember when 9th heard Watch Me, Say it Again, and We Got Now for the first time.

Phonte really did the heavy lifting on TMS like you said. He pretty much came up with the album concept, the song concepts, the track sequencing, etc.

People also forget at this same time that 9th had a little label thing going before Jamla. The Allies (Remo and Novej), Tightman, Big Treal, Tyler Woods, and M1 Platoon.

I love The Allies music to this day. Tightman was pretty dope too.

Ironman, Abstract83, JBone4eva and 5 others dapped this.
  7. aceboon

aceboon Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $1345000.00

Energy still the same, I'm gonna have to take my old ass to a concert when they hit NY. First concert I ever attended was my freshman year of college and LB performed pre-The Listening when I had no idea who they were, need to hit up another one of their shows for sentimental reasons.

8. Blacknwhite

Blacknwhite Rookie

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $342759.00

Amazing album, they did it without 9th again. This may be their best and thats tough to say going up again tms. It just flows so flawlessly

9. Izanami

Izanami Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I would say def their most cohesive. The Listening would always be my favorite and their best imo

10. TheDarceKnight

TheDarceKnight Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jiu Jitsu
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I don't know if this makes sense or not. The Listening is my favorite because of some of the imperfections, because it's not as polished, and because it's just such a pure piece of art. I know that sounds pretentious and corny. But I think in every aspect that albums like Minstrel Show and Lord Watch are crisper. Production sharper. Phonte much better as an emcee. Pooh much better as an emcee. But if I had to take one of their albums and could never listen to the rest, I think it would have to be The Listening just because of how fresh it was at the time and unlike anything else.

I absolutely love how good this new album is though, and how much everyone else is loving it, and how much Phonte and Pooh love it as well. They seem rejuvenated and it is lame to already want another album, but I'm glad that it seems very likely that LB will continue to deliver music to us for a long time.

Ironman, Abstract83, JBone4eva and 2 others dapped this.
  11. Blacknwhite

Blacknwhite Rookie

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $342759.00

May the lord watch length works, but man by the time you get to all in a day and realize its almost over thats the only bummer.

MAY GOD BLESS OUR NATION AND THIS STATION

12. preach cxxley

preach cxxley All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    somewhere in southside
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

You are watching UBNNNN

13. NYK Loyalist

NYK Loyalist All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $339500.00

The Clifton Powell school for the performing arts is hilarious every time :russ:

14. x-factor7

x-factor7 All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    MI
    Coli Cash:
    $505785.78

I just listened to the ItsTheReal interview, damn that was a good listen. Glad the hosts didn't bring up 9th too much, I'm sure they are tired of getting questions surrounding that.

It's crazy how much influence ATCQ had on them. From their group name, and then it coming full circle with Pooh and Te reaching out to each other after Phife's death, which led to this comeback album.

When Te talked about seeing Phife in The Low End Theory booklet wearing North Carolina gear, someone was cutting onions :mjcry:

15. EA

EA A Pound & A Prayer

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    London, UK
    Coli Cash:
    $342400.00

I was playing this in the car when I was giving a lift to my dad and brothers and the skits had them cracking up. My dad basically breathes ESPN so nikkas Hollering hit home for him :mjlol: