Raleigh, NC
Papa John's founder gives $1M to historically black college
  • ByTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Sep 5, 2019, 6:36 AM ET
papa-john-ap-mo-20180718_hpMain_12x5_992.jpg

papa-john-ap-mo-20180718_hpMain_12x5_992.jpg
Timothy D. Easley/AP
WATCHNews headlines today: Sept. 5, 2019

The founder of Papa John's has donated $1 million to a historically black college in Kentucky after more than a year of backlash for his use of a racial slur.

News outlets report John Schnatter announced the donation Wednesday at Simmons College of Kentucky. The college's president, the Rev. Kevin Cosby, and its board of trustees chairman, Mark Lynn, emphasized that people should focus on Schnatter's actions and not his words.

Schnatter stepped down as CEO of the Louisville-based pizza chain in 2017 and later resigned as its chair after blaming disappointing sales on the NFL player protests and using the N-word during a company conference call .

WLKY-TV reports Simmons is Kentucky's only private historically black college. The Courier Journal reports Schnatter left the announcement event without speaking with reporters.

Papa John's founder gives $1M to historically black college

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Shout out to Simmon's College. Glad they got the bag. I wonder if Shaq had anything to do with that. For those who don't know, Shaq is currently a board member of Papa John's.
The worst part is the college is in a position to have to accept this money in the first place. I can't get mad at them if they need it. But where are the alumni?

Daps
Shout out to Simmon's College. Glad they got the bag. I wonder if Shaq had anything to do with that. For those who don't know, Shaq is currently a board member of Papa John's.

Nah, FUKK Simmons College. :pacspit:

Since this is about my hometown, I'll put y'all up on game.

Dude that runs it, Kevin Cosby, is also the pastor at the biggest black church in Louisville, and is a known scammer and finesse gawd.

Simmons College isn't even an authentic HBCU. It was a small ass Bible college that admitted blacks during segregation. On average only enrolled about 40 students a year.

Then in '05, Kevin Cosby bought the school through his church, changed the curriculum from Bible studies to general education, and lobbied to have it identified as an HBCU to get that government money. Its only been an actual college for 14 years.

He's uses the college the same way he uses the church, to pull in as much money from grants, politicians, corporations, etc as he possibly can. Dude is notorious for shaking down politicians for money in return for his endorsement. Tells them they need his co-sign if they want the "black vote". Black people in the city DO NOT FUKK WITH THIS DUDE.

Simmons College wants to grow but some in West End don't trust its leader

Since Black people in Louisville are pretty much hip to his game now, he's lost most of his clout, but he's still got clowns like racist ass Papa John (who according to a number of my white friends that know him REGULARLY says "nig-ger" in casual conversation) that will throw a big bag his way in return for some good press. :camby:

Fukk both of them.