Looking for non-Wacom Ebook illustration solution (please)

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I don't want to buy a Wacom or similar tablet for illustrating pages of an e-book that I might come out with, what sort of tablet/app/all-purpose stylus would any of y'all recommend?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I use an iPad Pro

I think the iPad pencil now works with regular newer iPads as well as the pro. Procreate stomps on photoshop these days. YOu can also use clip art studio with the iPads which i also like more than photoshop for illustration

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I use an iPad Pro

I think the iPad pencil now works with regular newer iPads as well as the pro. Procreate stomps on photoshop these days. YOu can also use clip art studio with the iPads which i also like more than photoshop for illustration
12.9 inch iPad is a dream to use
it's the best of both worlds

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really appreciate the replies. I am not a good illustrator so I don't want to spend too much on this and that 12.9 inch IPad Pro looks way too expensive for me.

Since I'd be pretty much buying the iPad Pro just for the illustration purposes, is there an older version of the IPad that I can buy that will still do the same thing (at least from an illustration purpose)?

I have an older ASUS tablet (ZenPad 3s 10). If I use this Procreate program, and a good corresponding stylus*, is it possible to achieve similar results?

Also what stylus works across multiple platforms and will allow me to draw smoother than using my index finger would?

*Alot of different stylus out there. I even saw a stylus at The Dollar Tree today.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Really appreciate the replies. I am not a good illustrator so I don't want to spend too much on this and that 12.9 inch IPad Pro looks way too expensive for me.

Since I'd be pretty much buying the iPad Pro just for the illustration purposes, is there an older version of the IPad that I can buy that will still do the same thing (at least from an illustration purpose)?

I have an older ASUS tablet (ZenPad 3s 10). If I use this Procreate program, and a good corresponding stylus*, is it possible to achieve similar results?

Also what stylus works across multiple platforms and will allow me to draw smoother than using my index finger would?

*Alot of different stylus out there. I even saw a stylus at The Dollar Tree today.
yeah when i was trying to get into illustation i had a wacom tablet that i used to like but then I bought a normal ipad air with a $5 stylus
this was back in 2011 though before the apple pencil was out
when the apple pencil came out i was surprised at how close it was to drawing in real life

as far as finding a cheaper ipad there's a couple of options here
you could get the normal ipad which starts at $329 but you can find one on sale and then buy the apple pencil gen 1 for like $80
the size is 10.2 inches
the apple pencil is considered the defacto for the ipad but you could also get the logitech crayon which is cheapter.
iPad 10.2-inch

the best part about the ipad is it has a lot of normal drawing programs now
photoshop(new)
illustator (new)
affinity designer
concepts

another big thing is like the poster above was saying you need to get a paper matte screen protector because it makes it feel like you're drawing on paper

if you don't want to take the ipad jump you could go the samsung tablet route but i realy don't know much about them

there's also the huion drawing tablets which are like cheaper wacoms
Huion Official Store: Drawing Tablets, Pen Tablets, Pen Display, Led Light Pad

Last edited: