Lord of The Rings: Rings of Power TV Series - Amazon (September 2, 2022/Official Thread)

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Last edited:

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That price is ridiculous, especially with no concept or talent attached. No way this makes the money back.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That price is ridiculous, especially with no concept or talent attached. No way this makes the money back.

I don't think it's too much. You can exploit the shyt out of Middle Earth like Star Wars. Many tales, and many seasons. And there can be multiple spinoffs. If done right, you could eat off this for decades.

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think it's too much. You can exploit the shyt out of Middle Earth like Star Wars. many tales, and many seasons. And they can be multiple spinoffs. If done right, you could eat of this for decades.

Deadline article indicates that the rights might be a bit limited

Plus, I hear that the rights for a TV series in the Lord of the Rights do not encompass all characters and are limited.

It might be worth it for Amazon I guess, given how bad they need a big hit. But Netflix doesn't really need this and HBO would be better off focusing on creating a GoT spinoff in house instead of buying outside rights.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Deadline article indicates that the rights might be a bit limited

It might be worth it for Amazon I guess, given how bad they need a big hit. But Netflix doesn't really need this and HBO would be better off focusing on creating a GoT spinoff in house instead of buying outside rights.

But look at it like this. The rights might be limited for KNOWN CHARACTERS. You can make up a whole new bunch of characters within Middle Earth, and its various kingdoms, that lead all sorts of directions. It's no different than the STAR WARS Universe. I think it's worth it to NETFLIX & AMAZON. Netflix doesn't have a GOT type series. And I doubt Witcher will become that.

There's so much real estate you can play with in Middle Earth. I'd be all over this.

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But look at it like this. The rights might be limited for KNOWN CHARACTERS. You can make up a whole new bunch of characters within Middle Earth, and its various kingdoms, that lead all sorts of directions. It's no different than the STAR WARS Universe. I think it's worth it to NETFLIX & AMAZON. Netflix doesn't have a GOT type series. And I doubt Witcher will become that.

There's so much real estate you can play with in Middle Earth. I'd be all over this.

Makes me wonder how much the TV rights to the Harry Potter Universe will inevitably go for. That's the one that I'd go big for. HBO would kill that.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Makes me wonder how much the TV rights to the Harry Potter Universe will inevitably go for. That's the one that I'd go big for. HBO would kill that.

Agreed. Harry Potter rights will be ridiculous. And really if Netflix or Amazon closes this deal for 250 (even without all characters) it's a bargain for the Middle Earth world and Lord of The Rings brand. Disney paid 4 billion for STAR WARS. And let's be serious it's already looking like a steal for them. As Disney will make money off Star Wars FOREVER.

If the right creatives are involved, I see no reason, someone couldn't make money off Middle Earth for decades.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I'd watch but that is an insane amount of money for just the rights.

To do it right you'd have to have a massive budget as well.

It would be very hard for this to be profitable

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd watch but that is an insane amount of money for just the rights.

To do it right you'd have to have a massive budget as well.

It would be very hard for this to be profitable

Netflix and Amazon are the only companies outside of HBO that can give it a proper budget. And they will. Look at how much money Netflix spent on Marco Polo. The series wasn't good, but the production value was amazing. And Jeff Bezos is chasing this personally, he'll spend whatever it takes it to make it look good. They just need great creatives involved.