MAJOR LABELS & THE BIG MONEY TRUTH BEHIND MAINSTREAM RADIO

Giselle

Daps
This article was inspired by the same interview that I already made a thread about, so I left those parts out, but If you want to read it, you can click the link to the full article.

You can read my other thread too, I you would like. :queen:

If you want to know how music lands on the approved playlist that mainstream radio so loyally executes you don't need to hack their computers, you don't need to infiltrate Illuminati boardroom meetings, although if you did you might discover that they're really, actually, seriously consipiring to make Iggy Azalea famous. All you need to do is look at their playlists. Here's the most recent one posted from Hot 97.

FETTY WAP - "679"
JIDENNA - "CLASSIC MAN"
THE WEEKND - "CAN'T FEEL MY FACE"
FETTY WAP - "MY WAY"
DJ SNAKE - "YOU KNOW YOU LIKE IT"
BIG SEAN - "BLESSINGS"
RIHANNA - "bytch BETTER HAVE MY MONEY"
FETTY WAP - "TRAP QUEEN"
DRAKE - "BACK TO BACK"
WALE - "THE MATRIMONY"

So this isn't just about Hot 97, let's also take a look at their New York City rival,Power 105 which is owned by the other giant, faceless media corporation that controls mainstream radio, iHeart Media, Inc (aka Clear Channel).

MISSY ELLIOTT - "GET UR FREAK ON"
JAY Z - "PART II (ON THE RUN)"
DRAKE - "ALL ME"
FETTY WAP - "TRAP QUEEN"
JIDENNA - "CLASSIC MAN"
DRAKE - "ENERGY"
THE WEEKND - "THE HILLS"
MEEK MILL - "ALL EYES ON YOU"
FETTY WAP - "MY WAY"
RICH HOMIE QUAN - "FLEX"

Wow, what a difference. It's almost like the "rivalry" between their morning programs just distracts people from realizing they're essentially the exact same stations. But maybe this is too focused on New York. How about L.A.'s biggest hip-hop radio station Power 106 which, you guessed it, is owned and operated by Emmis Communications? Here's their most recent playlist:

FETTY WAP - "TRAP QUEEN"
DRAKE - "ENERGY"
WIZ KHALIFA - "SEE YOU AGAIN"
YG - "TWIST MY FINGAZ"
JIDENNA - "CLASSIC MAN"
OMARION - "POST TO BE"
TREY SONGZ - "SLOW MOTION"
THE WEEKND - "CAN'T FEEL MY FACE"
DJ SNAKE & ALUNAGEORGE - "YOU KNOW YOU LIKE IT"
FETTY WAP - "MY WAY"

For those keeping score at home, the sole difference between New York radio and L.A. radio is one YG song. Do I really need to keep going? Fine, one more, just to really hammer the point home. Chicago's a huge market, let's check out Power 92, which is owned by faceless media corporation Crawford Broadcasting.

FETTY WAP - "TRAP QUEEN"
THE WEEKEND - "EARNED IT"
BIG SEAN - "BLESSINGS"
RAE SREMMURD - "THROW SOME MO"
OMARION - "POST TO BE"
CHEDDA DA CONNECT - "FLICKA DA WRIST"
K CAMP - "LIL BIT"
TREY SONGZ "SLOW MOTION"
DRAKE - "HOW ABOUT NOW"
NICKI MINAJ "TRUFFLE BUTTER"

Go ahead, check out every big radio station in the country, you're going to find the same playlist. Sure, there will be some minor differences, a T.I. track in Atlanta that doesn't get played in Chicago, apparently Chicago fukks with K Camp while New York doesn't, but that's just the same shyt with different flies. It's not that New York radio doesn't support New York artists, it's that geography is essentially a complete non-factor in the music that gets played.

That's what makes Ebro's "We play Fetty Wap who's from New Jersey, that's basically supporting a New York rapper" defense so laughable, as if the reason they're playing Fetty 47 times an hour, just like every other station in the country, is because he's local. And it's also why I chuckled at Ebro's contention that Stro needed to be more like Action Bronson and Joey Bada$$, as if "doing the work" of touring and building a career had anything to do with the music Hot 97 plays either. (And for the record, Hot 97 doesn't really play Action Bronson or Joey Bada$$ outside of Rosenberg's "Real Late" show, which they allow to exist primarily to protect their hip-hop credibility and oh so generously give that coveted Mondays from midnight to 2 AM time slot.)

No, the simple truth about how music gets on the radio, the fundamental truth that no one seems willing to just say, is that if you want Hot 97 or any of the other Siamese twin stations in the country to play your music you need to sign to a major label. End of story. Again, there may be that one in 100 exception - who's the lone 'indie" rapper above, Chedda Da Connect? Fetty is signed to 300, whose ownership looks like a major label Hall of Fame - but come on. Any intelligent, reasonable person should be able to take a look at those playlists above and figure it out. Chance the Rapper is, without question, one of the most popular rappers in the country, radio won't play his songs. Mac Miller's albums outsold most major label albums, radio wouldn't play his songs and that's exactly why he left Rostrumto sign to Warner Brothers, and exactly why Macklemore hired Warner's radio promotion arm (ADA) to push "Thrift Shop." Because they faced the truth that so many other indie artists and fans are seemingly blind to, that the last real power major labels have (besides their pocketbook) are connections with the faceless media corporations that decide what music mainstream radio plays.

So here, let's try that conversation between Ebro and Stro again, except this time let's strip away the bullshyt.

Stro: So what can I do to get played on Hot 97?
Ebro: Sign to a major label.
Stro: Ok, but check it, I hand you a song that's perfectly made for radio.
Ebro: Are you signed to a major label?
Stro: No.
Ebro: Then you're fukked.
Stro: What if I paid you?
Ebro: Emmis Communications took in $58 million last year. You think I'm risking getting fired for some cash from a struggle rapper?
Stro: But what if I get 'hot in the streets" and I....
Ebro: Major label.
Stro: But what if I get my 'buzz' up and...
Ebro: Major label major label major label.
Stro: How about...
Ebro: MAJOR LABEL MAJOR LABEL MAJOR LABEL MAJOR LABEL MAJOR LABEL MAJOR LABEL

And...scene.

It's particularly odd to hear Ebro continue to redirect responsibility back at artists, as if there's really anything Stro can do to get on air except go back to Epic Records, because two years ago on the Combat Jack Show he came shockingly close to simply telling the truth, explaining that it was Neilsen ratings, Clear Channel, banks and labels that were controlling what music got played, not artists, and certainly not DJs. But maybe he realized that the truth was boring and complicated and on air he needed to boil down the truth to ratings-producing soundbites. That he could bring Stro on for an interview because he had that power, but he can't play his music because he doesn't have that power. Whatever the reason, Stro really should have just watched this the first time around.

I'm not writing this because I take any joy in crushing the radio dreams of rappers, and I'm not even particularly angry at mainstream radio. Yes, there was a time not so long ago, before every major radio station was owned by data-driven corporations, when mainstream radio DJs had more freedom to play the music they wanted, and that was a better time, but that time is gone. That's a shame, but the bigger shame is continuing to watch indie artists put so much time, energy and money into chasing radio spins when that chase is nearly guaranteed to be a massive waste of time, energy and money, especially at a time when there are more ways to reach fans outside of mainstream radio than ever: Social media, YouTube, streaming services, independent radio (shameless plug) etc. etc. Watching these ongoing debates between rappers and Ebro is like watching someone bang their head repeatedly against the rock that is mainstream radio - who do you think is going to crack first, the head or the rock?

Should Hot 97 play more New York artists, and especially indie artists? This is business, there is no "should." There is only profit and loss, and make no mistake, radio is a business. Maybe if we all really accept that truth we can focus our collective energies on putting mainstream radio out of business, and hip-hop will be better off for it.

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F

nothing new here..or revealing..... :russell:

industry plants..blah blah blah....redundant playlists blah blah...no indy music..blah blah

I and others have been saying for years since i worked in the past for a commercial radio station and had the experience of running my own internet radio show that An artist can't go no where without A MAJOR DISTRIBUTOR......because they have the corporate relationship with these radio conglomerates i.e (emmis broadcasting..clear channel) etc.

and as far as the "alternative outlets" or methods to secure visibility and independence..........

THAT'S BULLSHYT TOO..cause VEVO controls YouTube..and without "them" you still will lack the exposure and connections to make it....

same with the streaming services if your not signed to a digital aggregator i.e (101 distribution, tunecore, ingrooves) etc. your "food" again

look at the deals Soundcloud been signing with majors like WARNER..further securing the major labels market share making it almost IMPOSSIBLE to be an independent...

to tell ya the truth an INDEPENDENT ARTIST is a OXYMORAN in today's digital era :manny:

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
Hollywood records had no problem selling icp to.the mainstream until Christians came along