Major League Cricket launches in US with 6 teams

Daps
Cricket is a big deal all over the world. The next step is a plan to make it big here. And it involves a former minor league baseball stadium in Grand Prairie, a handsome famous player from New Zealand, and a college kid from Frisco.

By Mike Piellucci | July 11, 2023|7:00 am |Portraits by Sean Berry
Ali Sheikh
Ali Sheikh is studying accounting at UTD in Richardson. He’s also a cricket star.

Daps
As the pandemic got underway in earnest, in March 2020, Corey Anderson found himself 7,500 miles from home and a world away from the fame he’d known for much of his life. Back in Auckland, Anderson’s was a household name. He’d been a star on the New Zealand national cricket team ever since he’d set a world record for the fastest player to score 100 runs—a “century,” in cricket parlance—in a one-day match at just 21 years old. He’d spent the better part of a decade as a globe-trotting superstar, a hulking 6-foot-1, with the blond stubble and effortlessly tousled hair to pass for the Hemsworth brothers’ Kiwi cousin. He’d grown accustomed to being cheered on by tens of thousands from Mumbai to Barbados and, at his peak, pocketing more than half a million dollars for two months of work in the Indian Premier League, the world’s biggest and most lucrative franchised cricket competition.

Then, just days before worldwide air traffic was grounded, Anderson flew from Auckland to Dallas, where his live-in American fiancée, Mary Margaret, was already visiting her mother in Highland Park. For the next nine months, he’d be cooped up in the guest room of his future mother-in-law’s house, acclimating to a life away from the game, stranded in a place where, he says, “cricket’s basically irrelevant for 99 percent of the country.”

A part of him had been preparing for such a transition ever since he got serious with Mary Margaret, whom he’d met at a party four years earlier while on vacation in Croatia. During their courtship, he’d visited Dallas often enough to imagine a life for himself here, growing so fond of the city—the flat terrain, friendly people, and tree-lined streets reminded him of his hometown of Christchurch—that it came to feel like “home away from home.” But that was supposed to be well into the future, after his playing days ended. He’d turned 30 only a few months earlier; he imagined five, maybe six, more years of top-class cricket in front of him. And there was none of that to be found in Dallas—or anywhere else in the United States.

Daps
“I knew in my head that I was going to move here at some point in time,” he says. “It just wasn’t yet.”

In the meantime, though, the borders were closed. He was stuck, with nowhere to play. So he may as well be of use. About six weeks after arriving in Dallas, he tracked down the phone number of Iain Higgins, then the chief executive of USA Cricket, and asked him two questions: what is the state of American cricket, and is there a way he could help?

The answer to the latter question, as it turned out, was he could. For 90 minutes, Higgins laid out a plan that, if successful, would change professional sports. As cricket surged to become the world’s second-most popular sport, the United States remained by far the largest market it had yet to penetrate, though not for lack of trying. In 2004, a domestic league called Pro Cricket lasted all of a season. A half-decade later, the American Premiere League was announced. It would take a dozen years, and the collapse of the governing body that sanctioned it, for any games to be played, at a far smaller scale than envisioned. But the national interest is there. Peter Della Penna, who covers the sport for ESPN’s English-language cricket site, says that the United States is neck and neck with the United Kingdom as the country providing the most web traffic, behind India. The domestic club scene is growing, too. One-off tournaments dot the country. But no one had ever blended fiscal might with the necessary cricket smarts to build a competition on par with the biggest franchised leagues in India, Pakistan, England, Australia, and the Caribbean.

Until now. Higgins told Anderson about an investment supergroup called American Cricket Enterprises, which had formed to create Major League Cricket, a six-team professional league that intended to succeed where everyone else had failed in the States. Four of the teams are backed by Indian Premier League clubs, who transformed cricket from stuffy to spectacle at a level unmatched by anyone else. Games would be played in July, a dead spot on the global cricket schedule, as well as the most wide-open time of year on the American sports calendar. There would be world-class stadiums, youth academies, and an accompanying minor league.

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
Hulu was broadcasting Test cricket for a while and then it just seemed to stop. It's a pretty chill sport. I liked watching the subcontinent teams like India and Sri Lanka. They seem to be what Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are to Baseball, just visibly passionate and having fun.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*related, Toronto Blue Jays had a cricket promo night last month.

baseballbrit-unexpected-promo-event-of-the-year-the-toronto-v0-36MxQ2fz8oOOJkeAKgAnTobjKM8uNgNGNHn9IRBQbOU.jpg

@Grand Conde @jj23
Who would this player be comparable to in an American sport?

Not sure if Mets or Yankees have done this, but I'm certain they could sell out the stadiums with all the South Asians/ Caribbean descent people in the metro area

Last edited:

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw Cricket a little when I was younger in Sierra Leone, and one off my uncles loves Cricket. But that shiiiit always confused me, and I never cared enough to learn.

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
Why some of these teams got the same names as the Indian Cricket League?

Super Kings, Knight Riders

.....Mumbai Indians New York? :dahell:

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
*related, Toronto Blue Jays had a cricket promo night last month.

baseballbrit-unexpected-promo-event-of-the-year-the-toronto-v0-36MxQ2fz8oOOJkeAKgAnTobjKM8uNgNGNHn9IRBQbOU.jpg

@Grand Conde @jj23
Who would this player be comparable to in an American sport?

Not sure if Mets or Yankees have done this, but I'm certain they could sell out the stadiums with all the South Asians/ Caribbean descent people in the metro area

Gayle for 20/20 you're talking goat tier player, probably Shaq. Somebody who used raw power to overwhelm.