Majority Black excellence areas are hella concentrated...

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Ok, back when I was looking for places to live depending on what city we were going to move to, I started crunching Census data, basically to see where the educated and affluent Black folks were at around the country. Much later I was looking at where the majority solid middle class Black areas where and how they were distributed. I thought I might throw this up on the Coli to get folks reactions.

I looked at Census tract data which are basically sub-county geographies that are groups of neighborhoods in simple terms; often the size of small towns but much smaller than cities and with several thousand persons in each.

Basically, if you look at the population of Black folks that a) lives in census tracts at least 50% Black AND b) census tracks where Black people have a median household income of at least 50k, you realize that a lot of the prosperous majority Black areas are really concentrated

About 3.8M Black folks, or a little under 10%, live in majority Black areas with a median household income of at least $50k. Again, these are majority Black areas not ALL areas where Black households are at least $50k (if you look at areas that are at least 20% Black and above $50k in HH income you double this to about 7.3M folks).

Of this 3.8M, about 1 in 8 lives in PG County alone, with NY counties, Chi-town and the ATL making up the bulk of the rest

bz5gR94.png

It's even more concentrated if you look at Blacks living in 50%+ Black majority census tracts with a median Black household income of at least, $70k (1.4M people). These are our majority Black upper middle class areas. Here PG County is almost 1 of 4 and almost 60% of these people live in three metros: NYC, Maryland DC suburbs, and ATL.

2P39PPM.png

Granted there are majority Black solid middle class income areas across the country, though they can be small in comparison to the surrounding population, and most Black solid middle class households are not in majority Black areas but it is crazy how concentrated these areas are---and most aren't in the South even though that is where the bulk of our population is.

For the more interested: @ab.aspectus @Get These Nets @Jcotton1 @

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Good thread.

Interesting to see Bronx County up there.

FrontoBama

U Can’t Reach The Sun
Daps
Reppin
Knicks & Dimes
They’re also places that Coli c00ns spend millions of posts calling the ghetto and telling us to move out of.

These areas have been socio-economic incubators for our people for centuries.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
How is The Bronx on this list? :what: North Bronx brehs must be eating cause the south bronx can't be the reason The Bronx is on this list :heh:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Ok, back when I was looking for places to live depending on what city we were going to move to, I started crunching Census data, basically to see where the educated and affluent Black folks were at around the country. Much later I was looking at where the majority solid middle class Black areas where and how they were distributed. I thought I might throw this up on the Coli to get folks reactions.

I looked at Census tract data which are basically sub-county geographies that are groups of neighborhoods in simple terms; often the size of small towns but much smaller than cities and with several thousand persons in each.

Basically, if you look at the population of Black folks that a) lives in census tracts at least 50% Black AND b) census tracks where Black people have a median household income of at least 50k, you realize that a lot of the prosperous majority Black areas are really concentrated

About 3.8M Black folks, or a little under 10%, live in majority Black areas with a median household income of at least $50k. Again, these are majority Black areas not ALL areas where Black households are at least $50k (if you look at areas that are at least 20% Black and above $50k in HH income you double this to about 7.3M folks).

Of this 3.8M, about 1 in 8 lives in PG County alone, with NY counties, Chi-town and the ATL making up the bulk of the rest

bz5gR94.png

It's even more concentrated if you look at Blacks living in 50%+ Black majority census tracts with a median Black household income of at least, $70k (1.4M people). These are our majority Black upper middle class areas. Here PG County is almost 1 of 4 and almost 60% of these people live in three metros: NYC, Maryland DC suburbs, and ATL.

2P39PPM.png

Granted there are majority Black solid middle class income areas across the country, though they can be small in comparison to the surrounding population, and most Black solid middle class households are not in majority Black areas but it is crazy how concentrated these areas are---and most aren't in the South even though that is where the bulk of our population is.

For the more interested: @ab.aspectus @Get These Nets @Jcotton1 @
I dunno if I'd say 50k is Black Excellence...

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
How is The Bronx on this list? :what: North Bronx brehs must be eating cause the south bronx can't be the reason The Bronx is on this list :heh:
Yeah Northeast Bronx is very middle class with good home ownership rates. A lot of Jamaicans.

But in the South Bronx sure there is a lot of projects and Section 8 and poverty but there are also tree lined streets with single and two family homes and brownstones and a good amount of black folks own those.