Mars One selects final 100 astronaut candidates

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
how long would it actually take to get to mars with their current transportation?

supposedly it would take 6 months to get there

:ohhh:

http://www.universetoday.com/14841/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to-mars/

http://www.mars-one.com/mission/roadmap

The total journey time from Earth to Mars takes between 150-300 days depending on the speed of the launch, the alignment of Earth and Mars, and the length of the journey the spacecraft takes to reach its target. It really just depends on how much fuel you’re willing to burn to get there. More fuel, shorter travel time.

gracchus

Rookie
Daps
Sure, but breh said we'll never colonise Mars.

Barring a catastrophic species ending event colonising Mars is obviously inevitable. The question is just when. This century? Next millennium? In 10,000 years?.

sure, I just doubt it'll be in our lifetime

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.universetoday.com/14841/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to-mars/

http://www.mars-one.com/mission/roadmap

The total journey time from Earth to Mars takes between 150-300 days depending on the speed of the launch, the alignment of Earth and Mars, and the length of the journey the spacecraft takes to reach its target. It really just depends on how much fuel you’re willing to burn to get there. More fuel, shorter travel time.
they might as well burn a lot of fuel to get there, its not like their coming back

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
there's places on our own planet that we can't colonize with current technology, and they don't even have problems with air/radiation
what places?
camp-site-cropped1.jpg

sand-storm-in-dubai-17-7-9.jpg

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So is the issue the thin atmosphere or the radiation?

And there are bunch of ways to protect them...

http://www.mars-one.com/faq/health-and-ethics/how-much-radiation-will-the-settlers-be-exposed-to

The atmosphere helps shields us from harmful radiation

there is no atmosphere on mars, plus where it's located the radiation is much stronger

which is why every space station there's ever been as only been 200 ft outside of the Earth's atmosphere

there's no craft that can withstand long term radiation of the van allen belt, which they would have to pass through in order to get to mars
which is there's never been a manned craft that has ever traveled anymore near mars

unless they discovered some magical ore that make the space craft out of , it's impossible for them not to be turned to be fried

and even without the radiation problem

these people wouldn't even be able to survive in the Arctic wild by themselves, let alone mars where the conditions are much worst

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
The atmosphere on Mars is 96% carbon dioxide, 2% nitrogen and 2% argon

Humans passed through the Van Allen belts in the Apollo missions

CHL

Superstar
Daps
Mars One plan to colonise red planet unrealistic, says leading supporter
Gerard ’t Hooft, Dutch Nobel laureate and ambassador for project, says he does not believe mission can begin in 2024 as planned

Hannah Devlin, science correspondent

Tuesday 24 February 2015 02.00 AEDT Last modified on Tuesday 24 February 2015 03.19 AEDT

The budget and timeline for plans by a Dutch organisation to colonise Mars are highly unrealistic, one of the project’s most eminent supporters has suggested.

Gerard ’t Hooft, a Dutch Nobel laureate and ambassador for Mars One, said he did not believe the mission could take off by 2024 as planned.

“It will take quite a bit longer and be quite a bit more expensive. When they first asked me to be involved I told them ‘you have to put a zero after everything’,” he said, implying that a launch date 100 years from now with a budget of tens of billions of dollars would be an achievable goal. But, ’t Hooft added, “People don’t want something 100 years from now.”

Last week the organisation announced its shortlist of 100 applicants, including five British hopefuls, to be the first members of a permanent human colony on the red planet.

According to the Mars One’s official timeline, a stationary lander and satellite will be sent to Mars in 2018, followed by a rover in 2020 and cargo missions starting in 2022. Humans would start arriving in 2025, and crews of four would be sent every two years to add to the settlement.

Bas Lansdorp, the founder of Mars One, remains upbeat about the prospects of the mission, which he is hoping to fund by selling rights to film it for a reality television series to be made by Endemol, the Dutch producer of Big Brother. “Don’t forget that when Kennedy announced the Moon mission he had less time,” Lansdorp, who has a background in mechanical engineering, told the Guardian.

Scientists, though, have remained doubtful that the mission will get beyond the hypothetical stage, citing its lack of funding and the lack of a spacecraft or habitat suitable for supporting life on a long-term mission.

A recent analysis by a team at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) identified crucial flaws with Mars One’s published plans and predicted that even if the astronauts got to the surface unscathed, the first person would suffocate within 68 days because of a lack of equipment to balance oxygen levels effectively.

T’Hooft, of Utrecht University, said he was concerned by the findings. “I understand the scepticism very well. People from outside will say ‘wait a minute, you have to be careful with what you’re doing and what you’re claiming’. Maybe there’s a need to reassess,” he said.

He added that the “proper thing” would be for Mars One to publish its own analysis to demonstrate that their own more favourable projections about life on the Red Planet were sound.

Despite being sceptical about the details, t’Hooft said he still supported the project’s overall goals. “Let them be optimistic and see how far they get,” he said.

Sydney Do, a graduate student at MIT and part of a team who tested the feasibility of the proposals, said they quickly realised that many of the technologies that were integral to the plan were not available or even under development. “There’s no deep-space habitat in development, there’s no lander in development,” he said.

The calculations highlight the complexity of simply trying to balance the gas levels inside the inflatable capsule in which the astronauts would reside. The amount of CO2 exhaled by the astronauts is not enough to keep the plants alive and if you manage to pump in enough CO2 from the outside, the amount of O2 produced by the crops is too great, creating a fire risk.

The first astronaut would suffocate within 68 days, in the absence of a new machine capable of selectively pumping oxygen out of an environment, the MIT study suggests. The assessment also estimated that an area of about 200 square metres would be needed to grow food to support four people, compared with the 50square metres that Mars One estimates would be needed to feed 12 astronauts.

Do said that Mars One representatives had treated the findings with a “mix of defensiveness and condescension”. “They haven’t provided any concrete dispute with the findings,” he said. “They’re not being as transparent as they should be, especially when human life is at risk here.”

Lansdorp said the MIT analysis had included “preposterous decisions” on the design of the simulation, which had led to incorrect conclusions. He said these would be challenged by a new assessment by Paragon Space Corporation, commissioned by Mars One. “They’ve been wrapping up their own study, which will be out in early March. They called the MIT analysis ‘very naive’,” he said.

There was potential for delays to the timeline, said Lansdorp, but added that he believed a 2024 launch was achievable in theory. “When we had to put back the launch date from 2023 to 2024, my co-founder said ‘great, our first delay. We’re starting to look like a real space mission’.”

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...nise-red-planet-unrealistic-leading-supporter

Houston, we have a lot of problems: is Mars One too good to be true?
The organisers claim everything is hunky dory with their plan to send 40 people to spend the rest of their days on the red planet, but sources suggest otherwise

An artist's impression of the Mars One colony may be as close as we're going to get any time soon.
Wednesday 18 March 2015 03.56 AEDT Last modified on Wednesday 18 March 2015 11.06 AEDT

Age: Going since 2011, but probably best described as nascent.

Appearance: Either a crazy, far-fetched story about a mission to Mars; or an actual mission to Mars.

Which is the reality? Good question.

It’s been a long time since I’ve heard those two words. What are the known facts? Mars One is a non-profit, Dutch-registered company proposing to send up to 20 people to Mars.

Wow. How do they come back? They don’t come back. They live on Mars, and they die on Mars.

What sort of idiot would sign up for something like that? According to Mars One, 200,000 people applied.

Seriously? Well, perhaps not. According to other sources, only 2,176 applications were received. In any case, they have now been whittled down to 50 men and 50 women who will begin their training this year.

How long will this take, and how much will it cost? According to Mars One, it will cost $6bn (£4.1bn), with the first colonists arriving on the planet in 2025.

And according to other sources? The physicist Gerard ’t Hooft, a one-time consultant to Mars One, says both the budget and the timescale are too small by a factor of 10. A 2009 Nasa project study priced a Mars mission at $100bn.

How do they mean to raise even the $6bn? They were planning to turn the whole thing into a reality TV show, but an Endemol subsidiary has just pulled out of talks. And a recent crowdfunding campaign aimed at raising $440,000 failed to reach its goal.

Any other potential sources? According to one shortlisted applicant, Dr Joseph Roche, would-be candidates are ranked on a points basis, and they can enhance that ranking by buying Mars One merchandise and donating their interview fees.

It doesn’t sound as if anybody is going to Mars any time soon. Even plans for an initial robotic scouting mission – in 2018 – look wildly ambitious. Mars One presently has no contracts with aerospace suppliers to build any hardware. Or training facilities.

Do say: “My cousin was selected to colonise Mars, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.”

Don’t say: “Why don’t they just fake the entire thing for TV? It worked great with the moon landings.”

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...t-of-problems-is-mars-one-too-good-to-be-true

CHL

Superstar
Daps
I’m on list to be a Mars One astronaut – but I won’t see the red planet
Joseph Roche

The organisers’ plan is ambitious but naive and unrealistic. It’s time to admit this venture won’t work and pour our energy into more viable space missions

An artist's impression of the Mars One settlement. Photograph: Bryan Versteeg/Mars One

Wednesday 18 March 2015 17.59 AEDT Last modified on Thursday 19 March 2015 21.16 AEDT

I am one of the final 100 candidates for the Mars One mission but it is unlikely that I will ever land on Mars. As much as I would love to be one of the first interplanetary scientists, a potential mission to Mars remains, for the moment, beyond our reach.

I volunteered for the Mars One programme because my research areas include astrophysics and the role of science in society. I am passionate about pushing the boundaries of scientific endeavour and that is why the ambitiousness of the Mars One plan appealed to me.

Although Mars One was never likely to overcome the financial and technical barriers during the proposed timeline, it was refreshing to hear a new idea that challenges us to think about our own role in the future of space exploration. Being part of the subsequent public debate over the ethics and morality of future missions has been one of the most interesting and enjoyable aspects of my candidacy with Mars One.

If a one-way mission to Mars ever became possible then I would always volunteer. For an astrophysicist that is not a difficult decision to make, but it is also a moot point because I do not think we will see a one-way mission in my lifetime.

As part of my work I have spent many years promoting astrophysics and space exploration and thanks to the support of my university I have been given a lot of opportunities over the last year to speak about the challenges of potential missions to Mars. In those discussions, I concentrated on the technical, physical and psychological difficulties of such missions, as I think that is where the most captivating science is to be found.

In October 2014 scientists in MIT, led by Sydney Do, produced a fascinating assessment of the feasibility of the Mars One mission plan. These MIT research scientists are experts in space habitation and life support systems and their input should have led to a discussion and possibly even a collaboration with Mars One. The fact that Mars One did not engage with these scientists would suggest a certain naivety towards the obstacles that their ambitious plan faces.

I stopped speaking publicly about Mars One towards the end of 2014. After completing the interview stage I felt that the selection process was not rigorous enough to reach the requisite standard of more traditional astronaut selection programmes. I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with several astronauts and if you spend any time with an astronaut you will soon see that they are as close to being superhuman as a person can be. To select such a person requires a comprehensive and exhaustive procedure.

Last month a list appeared with “the top 10 candidates” for the Mars One mission. This list was put together after “the organisers ranked the candidates by points”. These points are “Mars One supporter points” which “represent the degree of your support to Mars One’s mission”. These points serve only to show how much each supporter has donated to Mars One. I think that the shortcomings of the selection process, coupled with their unwillingness to engage and collaborate with the scientific community, means that the time might have come for Mars One to acknowledge the implausibility of this particular venture. They could then perhaps turn their efforts towards supporting other exciting and more viable space missions.

One thing that Mars One has taught us is that in order to get the public more involved and interested in space exploration, it needs to be relevant, inspirational and accessible to everyone. Later this month the US astronaut Scott Kelly and Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko will embark on a mission to the International Space Station that will see them become the first humans in history to spend an entire year off-planet. This will lead to an understanding of the challenges faced by astronauts during long-duration spaceflights and will be a significant step towards a future mission to Mars. As long as we continue to take small steps we will eventually reach our destination.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/18/mars-one-astronaut-joseph-roche-space-missions

Shortlisted Mars One astronaut: venture has taken one giant leap backwards
Astrophysicist Joseph Roche says selection process for one-way mission is not vigorous enough, Dutch organisers are naive and project is unlikely to happen

Joseph Roche has written for the Guardian expressing his grave doubts about Mars One. Photograph: TCD

Wednesday 18 March 2015 18.00 AEDT Last modified on Thursday 19 March 2015 11.05 AEDT

He is not the first person to express scepticism about Mars One, a vastly ambitious private mission aiming to settle humans on Mars from 2025. But Joseph Roche is different to most critics: he’s on the shortlist to be one of the astronauts.

Roche, an astrophysicist at Trinity College Dublin who was announced last month as among the 100 people in line for the mission, has written for the Guardian expressing his grave doubts about the viability of Mars One.

The selection process, Roche writes, “was not rigorous enough to reach the requisite standard of more traditional astronaut selection programmes”. He also says the Dutch Mars One team have displayed “a certain naivety” in believing they can succeed alone in the supposed $6bn (£4bn) mission and should now accept it is very unlikely to happen.

He writes: “More openness and transparency would benefit Mars One greatly but I think that the shortcomings of the selection process, coupled with their unwillingness to engage and collaborate with the scientific community means that the time might have come for Mars One to acknowledge the implausibility of this particular venture and turn their efforts towards supporting other exciting and more viable upcoming space missions.”

Roche also expressed worries about the way the mission organisers publicised a so-called top 10 candidates last month. The ranking, he said, didn’t mean these were the most likely potential astronauts, but was instead based on how many “supporter points” each had earned through acts such as buying official merchandise.

All of a sudden it changed from being a proper regional interview over several days to being a 10-minute Skype call

Joseph Roche

He writes: “These points are Mars One’s supporter points which ‘represent the degree of your support to Mars One’s mission’. These points play no role in the selection process and serve only to show how much each supporter has donated to Mars One.”

The official timeline for the mission says the group plans to dispatch a stationary lander and satellite to Mars in 2018, followed by a rover in 2020 and cargo missions starting in 2022. Humans would start arriving in 2025, and crews of four would be sent every two years to add to the settlement. They would not return to Earth.

Last month a prominent supporter of the project, Gerard ’t Hooft, a Dutch Nobel laureate in physics, said he did not believe this timetable was realistic. He said: “It will take quite a bit longer and be quite a bit more expensive. When they first asked me to be involved I told them: ‘You have to put a zero after everything.’”

Roche also spoke to Medium, a US blogging platform that has previously expressed grave sceptism about Mars One, reporting among other things that the supposed 200,000 applications to be astronauts in fact totalled 2,761.

He told Medium in more detail about the selection process: “I have not met anyone from Mars One in person. Initially they’d said there were going to be regional interviews… we would travel there, we’d be interviewed, we’d be tested over several days, and in my mind that sounded at least like something that approached a legitimate astronaut-selection process.

“But then they made us sign a non-disclosure agreement if we wanted to be interviewed, and then all of a sudden it changed from being a proper regional interview over several days to being a 10-minute Skype call.”

Roche told the Guardian he did not want to give more interviews as he was wary about being negative about the idea of space travel.

In his comment piece he writes: “I am passionate about pushing the boundaries of scientific endeavour and that is why the ambitiousness of the Mars One plan appealed to me. Although Mars One were never likely to overcome the financial and technical barriers during their proposed timeline, it was refreshing to hear a new idea that challenges us to think about our own role in the future of space exploration.

“Being part of the subsequent public debate over the ethics and morality of future missions has been one of the most interesting and enjoyable aspects of my candidacy with Mars One. If a one-way mission to Mars ever became possible then I would always volunteer. For an astrophysicist that is not a difficult decision to make, but it is also a moot point because I do not think we will see a one-way mission in my lifetime.”

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...t-joseph-roche-says-dutch-venture-implausible

Yeah this mission isn't happening.