Marvel Comics Soft Reboot coming

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
COMICS: Expect The Marvel Universe To Look A Lot More Like Its Old Self By The Fall

With the political climate so, well, controversial right now, it appears as if Marvel will be taking a step back from that sort of storytelling. While Secret Empire - a very political title thanks to the involvement of writer Nick Spencer and a character like Captain America - is too far along to be changed, Bleeding Cool reports that the company will be taking a different direction with stories moving forward.

Why should you care? Well, if you're fed up of seeing a teenage girl and villain as Iron Man or an "Unworthy" Thor, you'll be glad to know that a recent Marvel creative summit reportedly led to the decision to follow DC Rebirth by returning to the Marvel Universe to a place fans actually recognise.

According to the site, "as Marvel brings back the X-Men line with a bang, to expect a return to more of a status quo for titles such as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and more. A more familiar looking Marvel Universe by the autumn – although, just as with Captain America, as classic-look-characters return, expect new characters to keep a number of their books." That's definitely some welcome news.

However, it barely scratches the surface of Marvel's problems. Sales are plummeting, retailers are furious with them, and they're still launching new titles which confuse the hell out of new and old readers alike (after five issues of Rocket Racc00n, Rocket launches in May with a #1 issue). Will this back to basics approach make a difference? Time will tell, but it may be a good start for them.[/spoiler]

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
as Marvel brings back the X-Men line with a bang, to expect a return to more of a status quo for titles such as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and more. A more familiar looking Marvel Universe by the autumn – although, just as with Captain America, as classic-look-characters return, expect new characters to keep a number of their books." That's definitely some welcome news.

latest

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Hasn't Marvel been doing soft reboots for the past 5 or so years already?

I guess they were not expecting the backlash they got in sales for some of the decisions to diversify their characters or by burying one of their most popular franchises for silly reasons.

Wonder is this means they are going to make Nick Spencer remove all of the politics from Sam Wilson, Capt. America? Be messed up if they did since that book is pretty good.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
It's funny i read an editorial from IGN's comics editor about them doing this very thing once civil war ended

If I can find it, I'll post it
Honestly they shouldve put those resources to crating new characters. Outside of miles and kamala, they all suck.

Maybe they'll kill danvers too.

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Marvel and DC are terrible in managing their comics.
I'm done with both of them now.
The resetting shyt, writing mutants out, writing out people who are historically great because of licensing deals, reboot after reboot, meaningless death after death.

I give up

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Marvel and DC are terrible in managing their comics.
I'm done with both of them now.
The resetting shyt, writing mutants out, writing out people who are historically great because of licensing deals, reboot after reboot, meaningless death after death.

I give up
Agreed. I grow weary of crisises that reset everything, then you get used to the changes just for them to get thrown in the bushes

I liked New 52 a lot....shazam was fire, and had a great origin reboot, and i liked a more unhinged superman and his relationship with wonder woman. And darkseid being a tier zero badass as usual.

Nope,

We gotta go back to lois and clark....

shyt like this is why marvel has so many fukking spidermen that there was literally an island of just multiverse spidermen. Its insane.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
\
Agreed. I grow weary of crisises that reset everything, then you get used to the changes just for them to get thrown in the bushes

I liked New 52 a lot....shazam was fire, and had a great origin reboot, and i liked a more unhinged superman and his relationship with wonder woman. And darkseid being a tier zero badass as usual.

Nope,

We gotta go back to lois and clarke....

shyt like this is why marvel has so many fukking spidermen that there was literally an island of just multiverse spidermen. Its insane.
I hated the new 52 and it never should have been thought of doing, rebirth is a step in the right direction IMHO.
That said all in all the lack of editorial control, the laziness in not wanting to create new characters, hating their own readers, ignoring the customer base.
It just shows you why mangas and webcomics are taking over in korea

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
\

I hated the new 52 and it never should have been thought of doing, rebirth is a step in the right direction IMHO.
That said all in all the lack of editorial control, the laziness in not wanting to create new characters, hating their own readers, ignoring the customer base.
Why did you hate new 52?

I understand youre far from alone, and at i am in the minority, but i'm curious what people find so repug about it

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
And honestly, whas taking over in korea isnt that relevant, but it IS a reason that nobody is buying the shyt they're pushing like Carol Danvers' abysmally selling Captain Marvel book, and these changes are also why nobody is that into these major cross over events as of late....civil war ii was a fart in the wind compared to 1 or even secret invasion and thats before the marvel media empire exploded.

Comics selling less after more exposure is crazy

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Why did you hate new 52?

I understand youre far from alone, and at i am in the minority, but i'm curious what people find so repug about it
I hated the way it eliminated the teen titans from ever existing.
Hated the rewrite to deathstroke, which i was heavy into pre new 52.
Hated what it did to GLC which I was heavy into at the time, I mean having the old guardians get locked in a cube and all that BS. SMH.
It was just everything I hate about modern western comics, they disregarded everything people loved about the characters that had a fixed continuity for 25+ years, and then made certain characters lesbian or gay (alan scot being gay pre-52 was terrible by the way), had certain characters change personality changing backstories.

Just terrible to me. I don't understand why they don't create new characters instead of fukking up established ones.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I hated the way it eliminated the teen titans from ever existing.
Hated the rewrite to deathstroke, which i was heavy into pre new 52.
Hated what it did to GLC which I was heavy into at the time, I mean having the old guardians get locked in a cube and all that BS. SMH.
It was just everything I hate about modern western comics, they disregarded everything people loved about the characters that had a fixed continuity for 25+ years, and then made certain characters lesbian or gay (alan scot being gay pre-52 was terrible by the way), had certain characters change personality changing backstories.

Just terrible to me. I don't understand why they don't create new characters instead of fukking up established ones.
Very fair

EDIT: i'm probably biased because any time at shazam gets an upgrade of relevance i'm glad. The new 52 green lantern crisises were pretty everywhere and not in a good way.