Mass Shooters’ Most Common Trait—Toxic Masculinity—Gets Little Press Attention

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
It's arguable that addressing this will have a more substantial and quicker impact than "gun control"

Toxic masculinity

Newsweek: Misogyny and Mass Murder, Paired Yet Again

Newsweek (5/28/14): “Misogyny—and the sense of entitlement that comes with it—kills.”
The concept of toxic masculinity originated in the pro-feminist men’s movement of the 1980s, and argues that hegemonic ideals of masculinity that promote emotional repression, violence and power are deeply harmful, not only to society at large, but to men themselves (American Psychiatric Association, 9/18).

There’s also a significant connection between mass shootings and other types of misogynistic violence and ideology: Pulse nightclub shooter Omar Mateen allegedly emotionally, financially and physically abused his wife prior to the 2016 massacre (Rolling Stone, 6/13/16). Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza had a Word document on his computer explaining “why females are inherently selfish” (New Yorker, 3/10/14). University of California shooter Elliot Rodger posted a YouTube video in which he ranted about women not being attracted to him and swore to seek revenge (BBC, 4/26/18). Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho allegedly stalked and harassed two students leading up to the massacre (Newsweek, 5/28/14). Nova Scotia shooter Gabriel Wortman allegedly restrained and beat his partner leading up to—and just hours before—the shooting (Business Insider, 5/16/20). This list is far from exhaustive.

A 2021 study (Injury Epidemiology, 5/21/21) found that in 68% of mass shootings that injured or killed four or more people between 2014–19, the perpetrator either killed at least one partner or family member or had a history of domestic violence.

Between the Buffalo shooting on May 14 and June 9, more than two weeks after the shooting in Uvalde, Texas, US newspapers published more than 20,000 articles discussing one or both shootings, according to a search of the Nexis database and the website of the Washington Post (which is not in the Nexis database). But of those thousands of articles, FAIR found only 37 unique pieces that made links to toxic masculinity, misogyny, or differences in socialization of boys and girls. Seven were syndicated columns reprinted in multiple outlets, bringing the total times such pieces appeared to 51.

‘Differences in socialization’

NYT: A Disturbing New Pattern in Mass Shootings: Young Assailants

The fact that nine of the nine deadliest mass shootings since 2018 were committed by males is apparently a less disturbing pattern to the New York Times (6/2/22).
Only eight of those 51 total pieces were published in the news sections of newspapers; the rest were in the opinion sections. Four of the mentions of masculinity or misogyny in news articles (USA Today, 5/25/22, 5/25/22, 5/26/22; New York Observer, 5/25/22) referenced the successful lawsuit brought by the families of the Sandy Hook victims against Remington, the producer of the semi-automatic rifle used in the assault, which ran ads targeting young men and suggesting the weapon granted them their “man card.”

RickyDiBiase

The Health Inspector
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
I feel like the media talk about it, it's the public(usual suspects) who dismiss it

American society doesn't wanna feel like the bad guy even when they clearly be fukking up. It's why nothing will ever tangible and the betterment of society will get better, and why politicians ain't going nowhere along with private enterprise.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite poster's favorite poster.
It's never discussed properly in context and with actual solutions in mind that won't infringe on a person's right to fix. This is the issue I tend to have with these things. Entitlement issues is probably a better barometer for these things than something as amorphous as "toxic masculinity", even more so when I doubt masculinity in itself can be properly gauged, as many people have told me that such can't be decided by anyone and the same goes for femininity (I'd love to see how toxic femininity would work. Would a person spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen? I kid, I kid). If gauging masculinity can barely be done, at what point have we reached toxic levels? I don't think I'm being obtuse for asking this either.
:yeshrug: