Mathematicians and Statisticians time to Unite: Supreme Courts Rules against Sports Betting Ban

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
You don't commonly hear about weed driving families into debt and murder suicide situations.

Weed also isn't going to influencing athletes and the people around them to throw games and who knows what else.

Do you support athletes cheating and using steroids?

Bringing it out of the shadows can help the situation and many states, like mine, could really use the money it will bring in.

Sports gambling is already estimated as a 150 billion dollar industry..arguments based on constitutionality aside, it's foolish to act like the current law was effective in any way. Plus, dealing with established institutions will take away most of the crimes inflicted by shady bookies onto those in debt. The murder suicide situations you alluded to probably don't happen as much as you implied and there are plenty of violent crimes committed in the drug game regardless of the drug. You think legalizing weed would lessen the amount of crimes committed in weed related situations? Obviously. So legalizing both would also lessen the burden on the court system and open up more rehabilitative and support programs to those in need of it while also lessening the stigmatizing of it and thus encouraging more people to seek help.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
I'm happy this finally passed. Everyone gambles. The state sponsors gambling through the lottery. Its about time the juice goes to rebuilding roads rather than lining a bookies pocket.

I'm not one for more government agencies but the feds are gonna need a new department to ensure the integrity of sports games. New laws need to be put on the books to make sure no players, their family, team execs, etc do not profit from insider information. Similar to the stock market.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I'm happy this finally passed. Everyone gambles. The state sponsors gambling through the lottery. Its about time the juice goes to rebuilding roads rather than lining a bookies pocket.

If the money goes to the right places, I'll be honestly surprised.

I'm not one for more government agencies but the feds are gonna need a new department to ensure the integrity of sports games. New laws need to be put on the books to make sure no players, their family, team execs, etc do not profit from insider information. Similar to the stock market.

So you "solved" one problem and created two? How is this a good thing? :wtf:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
If the money goes to the right places, I'll be honestly surprised.

So you "solved" one problem and created two? How is this a good thing? :wtf:

I relate this to weed legalization. Legalization solved problems but created new ones. This new "reality" is not perfect but its better than how it was before.

Pot legalization at the state level in Colorado brought in massive tax revenue for the state which used the funds for education, law enforcement, infrastructure, etc. The windfall on legalizing a previously illegal industry was massive and hugely beneficial for Colorado. Ideally, the same could be done with gambling. All of the "vice" taxes on gambling should be ear-marked for specific programs such as infrastructure and education. That creates a win-win for people and the state.

This doesn't just solve "one problem". It solves many including loan sharking, organized crime, illicit funds, etc. This isn't "legalization"...its regulation. Regulation creates a great opportunity to make money without threat of jail or forfeiture but it doesn't create a flawless system. Within a legal system, people can still do illegal shyt. The stock market is a perfect example. Insider trading is illegal in most cases and the feds actively watch for it. In sports gambling, the same concept needs to be applied. Anyone with insider info has to be barred from profiting. Its an unfair advantage that games the system.

Having a new regulated market where transactions are traced, addiction can be addressed, people don't have to worry about having their legs broken, etc far outweighs having regulatory oversight.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
No they won't. There is another law that calls for all college sports to be treated the same. So if you pay college football players you will also have to pay women Field Hockey players and every college athlete in-between. And yeah, that's not happening.

That's nto what title iX says. IT's abotu equal access to college opportunities. If a football team is generating $25 million/year for a school, aint no way the women's lacrosse team is drawing the same salaries as men.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
That's nto what title iX says. IT's abotu equal access to college opportunities. If a football team is generating $25 million/year for a school, aint no way the women's lacrosse team is drawing the same salaries as men.
The $25 million/year football is generating pays for women's lacrosse, men's water polo, etc. So in order to pay them you have to cut other sports thus limiting other people's college opportunities.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Legalize it (Weed, drugs, gambling, prostitution etc).

I don’t agree with laws that criminalize behavior that is ultimately only harmful to the adult partaking.

:why:

Drugs, gambling, and prostitution don't only harm the adults involved, though.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You can say that about tobacco and alcohol to tho.

I was just pointing out the fallacy in @Robbie3000 's post. Also, I don't think it follows that because society allows a particular vice (or vices), we must allow them all. We do get to choose, and I don't think we have to be bound by consistency, either. We're free to use cultural norms, medical information, or whatever else to make our decisions.:yeshrug: