Mathematics, reading skills in unprecedented decline in teenagers

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Factor that in with the fact that compulsory schooling was never intended to provide the best schooling. Its largely a mechanism to ensure the proletariat can work production based jobs without worry of child care. Wonder what happens when the average worker is experiencing ennui and apathy about their place in the world? :jbhmm:

Overall, America has never addressed the context of our education system and its coming back to bite us.

Think about how much things have evolved in the last 150 years. 'Modern' schooling hasn't changed since the end of the industrial revolution. Which make sense because it was built with what was learned during the industrial revolution and to prepare workers for jobs in 'industry'.

They standardized everything in order to produce disciplined and punctual kids who could do math and write a coherent letter in cursive.

The education system needs to be changed. Dramatically. I whole heartedly believe in vocational education that's competency based education and micro credentials. The highly motivated student with resources are going to do well regardless of where they are educated. Middling students have a chance to make a decent life for themselves. And the kids with no role models resources or motivation are fukkED.

I 100% agree with both of you and part of my career revolves around trying to change this.

I also 100% agree with the people who say we need more education support and more teacher support, as the article showed.

The thing is, those structural problems with education have been around over 100 years. We're only now seeing these big drops because a flawed structure is falling victim to a perfect enemy. It's like we're the Aztecs, our crumbling education system is their crumbling society, and the mobile phones are Cortez.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Read and learning are not valued. What's the most common thing you hear on the internet "I ain't reading all of that":what:Nobody wants to figure things out.
Breh nobody wants to read your 20 page article dumps without a summary. Im not getting paid to be here.