Max Kellerman compares Roy Jones to Floyd Mayweather

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Bruh looking back, I really wish Roy woulda stayed at heavyweight ran it back with Toney after he gave Holyfield that work :wow:
Would've been a dope fight, Tony was focused during that period. Roy could have done that and forced/told loud mouth Tarver to just move up in weight if he wanted to fight him that bad.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Only haters were knocing Floyd for turning down the Margo fight. Yeah he turned down margo to movue up to 154 and fight Oscar.
I would say a shot Oscar at 154 is better than a prime Margo at 147.

aint no hating breh he should have fought margarito...fighting oscar was just financial nothing more nothing less..fighting (and beating) the most dangerous welterweight at the time who was in prime would have looked great on his record

luckily though a fighter i stanned stepped up to the plate and took his belt instead and beat that dangerous welter

Paul_Williams-Antonio_Margarito3.jpg
\

:salute: the punisher

*edit
275px-Margarito_vs._Williams.jpg

hbo cards of yesteryear

the split site shyt

gatti got brutalized into retirement by gomez and cintron showed that potential he used to have by sending lucas's older brother violently into the bushes

memories when welterweight had some life

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
aint no hating breh he should have fought margarito...fighting oscar was just financial nothing more nothing less..fighting (and beating) the most dangerous welterweight at the time who was in prime would have looked great on his record

luckily though a fighter i stanned stepped up to the plate and took his belt instead and beat that dangerous welter

\

*edit

hbo cards of yesteryear

the split site shyt

gatti got brutalized into retirement by gomez and cintron showed that potential he used to have by sending lucas's older brother violently into the bushes

I dont buy that Margo was the most feared, PWill was talking that noise about Margo when Margo was trying to setup the fight, and on top of what was said Floyd was trying to cut ties with Arum. then eventually won a lawsuit against Arum, so I just can't knock him not taking that fight and moving up to 154 to fight Oscar who was even more dangerous than Margo, IMHO.

That P Will ass whoopin on Margo is a think of legends though, Cotto was supposed to fight the winner and chickened out like usual when Margo didn't win. All just to wait to fight Margo just so his ass could bow down.. Kneeguel Cotto was born.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I dont buy that Margo was the most feared, PWill was talking that noise about Margo when Margo was trying to setup the fight, and on top of what was said Floyd was trying to cut ties with Arum. then eventually won a lawsuit against Arum, so I just can't knock him not taking that fight and moving up to 154 to fight Oscar who was even more dangerous than Margo, IMHO.

That P Will ass whoopin on Margo is a think of legends though, Cotto was supposed to fight the winner and chickened out like usual when Margo didn't win. All just to wait to fight Margo just so his ass could bow down.. Kneeguel Cotto was born.

if im not mistaken..oscar ducked margarito too..esp after margarito beat cotto (who oscar wanted to fight)..but margarito had a boogie man rep for a reason which ended with mosley

punisher-margarito is a classic fight to me..the workrate was just insane to me

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
if im not mistaken..oscar ducked margarito too..esp after margarito beat cotto (who oscar wanted to fight)..but margarito had a boogie man rep for a reason which ended with mosley

punisher-margarito is a classic fight to me..the workrate was just insane to me
I don't believe anyone at 154 was scared of Margo, not De La Hoya, Santos had beaten MArgo at 154 if I remember correctly

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

\

*edit

hbo cards of yesteryear

the split site shyt

he also didnt fight margarito at that time because he just broke away from arum (who was stealing from him)
and he didnt want to do business with him
if margarito could actually beat a top fighter withour cheating then floyd would of eventually got to him:yeshrug:
that walk straight pressure fighting shyt is Taylor made for floyds style

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
he also didnt fight margarito at that time because he just broke away from arum (who was stealing from him)
and he didnt want to do business with him
if margarito could actually beat a top fighter withour cheating then floyd would of eventually got to him:yeshrug:
that walk straight pressure fighting shyt is Taylor made for floyds style

for the last time we dont give hypothetical wins here...only actual wins

upload_2017-9-3_19-31-31.png

upload_2017-9-3_19-41-42.jpeg

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Kellerman has always been a Roy Stan.

The thing that really bothers me with boxing and sports media is they cant properly acknowledge Floyds accomplishments, without trying to find someway to detract from his success.

Dude took boxing to levels never seem, yet they claim its dying because he's the top dog.

Such a disingenuous position.
I've never been as sure of this statement as others have. Did Floyd take boxing to new levels, or did Floyd just reach levels boxers before him never saw? There's a big difference. With the way boxing is set up, so fragmented and what not, it has always seem to me an individual's success really helps the individual and whoever he fights against in that moment as opposed to the sport overall. For example, did, say, Timothy Bradley benefit from Floyd's success? The answer could be yes, I just feel like it's a hazy line.

I feel like if boxing itself was at a new level then there would be other fighters out here getting 2+ million buys unrelated to Floyd.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
for the last time we dont give hypothetical wins here...only actual wins

View attachment 18683

View attachment 18684
I like paul Williams so :yeshrug:

Ignoring the business aspect of why that fight didn't happen makes no sense though :yeshrug:

If your trying to become mainstream, fighting oscar over cheato is a no brainer

Cheato would of chosen de la hoya over Floyd if given the option as well:yeshrug:

Once in a lifetime opportunity to blow up in the mainstream and make the most money vs fighting a decent fighter that nobody knows about :patrice:

Again if cheato actually beat top
fighters without cheating he would of eventually build himself up. he didn't. some of yall got a weird obsession with this guy:what:

His resume is trash

CanesMiamiLakers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Floyd gets so disrespected by the media. All his compliments are back handed. Roy jones is a legend but I'll take Floyds career over his any day. While I think Floyd cares about his legacy more than he lets on you have to respect him for going after the money. A lot of these I'll fight any fighter boxers are brain dead and broke.

bxrfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Memphis Grizzlies/Auburn Tigers
I broke down Floyd's resume last year and the timeline showed that he did the best he could when it came to facing fighters that he was being clamored to fight against

Mosley moved straight up to welterweight in 99 in order to pursue a fight with De La Hoya. Can't really blame him there as De La Hoya was the big money fight, not Floyd, but that small window between 98-99 was the only time they could have fought until around 06-07 (and by that point Mosley was past his prime anyway).

A Trinidad fight was never a real possibility as he had moved all the way up to middleweight by 01 while Floyd was still at super feather.

Mayweather cleaned out 130 and beat the main man at 135 in Castillo. The only name fighter you'd have a case of Floyd not fighting at either weight was Joel Casamayor, who was too busy going back and forth with Corrales (at 130 three or four years after he fought Floyd). I really hope no one brings up that sparring video with Paul Spadafora as evidence that Mayweather ducked him.

Floyd moved up to 140 to pursue a fight with Kostya Tszyu but Tszyu got his ass beat by Ricky Hatton before Mayweather could get to him. Then he moved up to 147 to face Zab Judah and Judah in his tune up fight ended up getting embarrased by no name Baldomir.

Now here's where Margarito came in the picture. Arum and Top Rank started this campaign that Margarito was the most feared fighter at welterweight in order to make him a big name, and people fell for the bait by assuming Floyd was afraid of him when he chose to face Judah and Baldomir instead. If Floyd did fight and beat Margarito at the time though no one would give him credit because Margarito's resume was actually very thin. People would instead say that Floyd didn't go after the lineal champion in Baldomir after Baldomir beat Judah.

No one brings up Margarito literally being forced to fight Paul Williams after he and Top Rank tried to go straight for a fight with Cotto. Williams and his team had to threaten legal action in order for Margarito to fight him, so who really was the most feared fighter at welterweight?

06-07 was the only time for Mayweather to realistically face De La Hoya as that was when both were in the same weight range (147-154). Then Hatton was spewing off at the mouth saying Mayweather was afraid of him, so Floyd ducked Hatton's head into a ring post with a check hook to shut his ass up. Hatton literally fell into a depression afterward.

Cotto was being groomed as the superfight for Floyd and would've been after 07, but Cotto of course got wrecked by Margarito. Margarito then got exposed as a cheater before getting knocked the fukk out himself by an old ass Mosley.

Pacquiao wasn't even a possibility until around 08, and as another poster has said Mayweather wanted the fight with Pacquiao in 09 but Manny refused to do a drug test.

I fail to see who else Floyd was supposed to fight from his generation. He eventually did face most of the guys he supposedly ducked as quickly as he could, and he really had nothing else to prove after 07. The only thing that kept him going was the possiblity of a fight with Pacquiao. Guys like Maidana, Canelo and GGG are a different generation of fighters that Floyd didn't have to mess with at all. Hell Canelo's 13 years younger as well as bigger and stronger yet Floyd still took him on and beat him.

Look no fighter on earth has a resume that can't be nitpicked. There's always someone else that a fighter should have supposedly faced, or fought at a certain time. Floyd is no exception, but I believe he made the most out of his boxing career given the time and circumstances.