Meet The Guy Who Makes $1,000 An Hour Tutoring Kids Of Fortune 500 CEOs Over Skype Read more: http:

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
Dr. Umar Johnson says it is worth paying for a SAT/ACT prep course, may save you tens of thousands in tuition if your test score and grades are high enough.. He also advocates applying early to be eligible for scholarship money.

He says apply to 12 schools; 3 dream schools, 3 in-state, 3 reality schools, and 3 "boondock" schools that have no black people. The boondock schools are more likely to offer money to increase their black student population, especially black males.

He says if you graduate magna or summa cum laude you can apply directly to a PhD. program, otherwise you have to get a masters first. He said go to the school that offers the most money. I don't agree. Some schools grade harshly and may prevent you from getting into your major, medical school, or graduate school. STEM majors should ideally go to schools where your SAT scores are in the 75th percentile or the school is known to be generous with grading. Humanities majors have more leeway since your abilities can't easily be assessed with a standardized test.

Unfortunately there is a child talking through the whole video.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Dr. Umar Johnson says it is worth paying for a SAT/ACT prep course, may save you tens of thousands in tuition if your test score and grades are high enough.. He also advocates applying early to be eligible for scholarship money.

He says apply to 12 schools; 3 dream schools, 3 in-state, 3 reality schools, and 3 "boondock" schools that have no black people. The boondock schools are more likely to offer money to increase their black student population, especially black males.

He says if you graduate magna or summa cum laude you can apply directly to a PhD. program, otherwise you have to get a masters first. He said go to the school that offers the most money. I don't agree. Some schools grade harshly and may prevent you from getting into your major, medical school, or graduate school. STEM majors should ideally go to schools where your SAT scores are in the 75th percentile or the school is known to be generous with grading. Humanities majors have more leeway since your abilities can't easily be assessed with a standardized test.

Unfortunately there is a child talking through the whole video.

One time I picked up a local Jewish magazine, browsing through it what jumped out at me the most was the multiple advertisements for tutoring and college consulting services

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
One time I picked up a local Jewish magazine, browsing through it what jumped out at me the most was the multiple advertisements for tutoring and college consulting services

I don't know if she is Jewish but this woman spent years learning about Brooklyn schools and NYC high schools when her daughters were little. She then used that knowledge to start her own consulting business. She charges $50 for one question (15 minutes) to $450 for a 2.5 hour consultation.

http://www.nycschoolhelp.com/

I think her prices are very reasonable. I know a lot about schools because it is my hobby, but most parents don't have the interest or time to spend months researching schools for their children. The parents and the school counselor (as usual) in this NY Times story were completely incompetent and the children wound up not getting into any high school. $200 and an hour with a consultant would have saved them a lot of headaches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/n...-graders-find-a-maze.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited:

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
He used to have free information for parents on his website, but I can't find it anymore. He gave two important pieces of advise. One, the student should take the SAT as early as 9th grade. He considers SAT scores more important than grades. If a student in the 9th grade focuses on SAT prep and their grades suffer, they can raise their grades in future years. Colleges like to see improvement. However, if a student got good grades early in high school and gets lower grades in the 11th grade, due to SAT prep, that does not look good to colleges. Almost nothing comes before SAT prep, especially unimportant activities like junior varsity sports or bake sales.

Two, students should not be well-rounded. They should specialize in an area, whether it be sports, math, music, languages, etc. The only time they should be in random clubs is if they are in leadership positions.