Michelle Obama on dating, “Brothers Stop playing games”, “Sisters don’t lower your bar”

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
The bulk of the negative reactions in thread are interpreting her comments as if she was referring to not lowering the bar using the latter criteria. However, she clearly articulated what she meant prior to the "lower the bar" comment. .
I hear you, but in this current climate, it's not what you say, it's how it's received. I don't think the audience heard what you heard or even what Mrs Obama might have really meant.

I've had to advise my own mother to be careful about who she agrees with on SM bc, although the words might technically be right, the spirit behind it is not what she intends.

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
I hear you, but in this current climate, it's not what you say, it's how it's received. I don't think the audience heard what you heard or even what Mrs Obama might have really meant.

I've had to advise my own mother to be careful about who she agrees with on SM bc, although the words might technically be right, the spirit behind it is not what she intends.

You can only assume that people with take what you say at face value. Michelle talked about how Barack put in the effort and made his intentions clear. How he didn't play games and wasn't on some "We'll see where it goes" tip. How she was tired of the games and men that weren't keeping it 100. Then she said don't lower your bar. To me, it's clear as day what she was referring to.

If someone takes that as meaning it's okay to have high standards in terms of looks/money/status/swag/etc., then I would question their comprehension skills.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Mrs. Obama,

Before you and your husband resume your never-ending castigation of black boys and men as a group, wouldn't it be fruitful to "locate" our men before we heave further expectations upon them?

1.5 Million Missing Black Men

By JUSTIN WOLFERS, DAVID LEONHARDT and KEVIN QUEALY APRIL 20, 2015 - THE NEW YORK TIMES

For every 100 black women not in jail, there are only 83 black men. The remaining men – 1.5 million of them – are, in a sense, missing.

In New York, almost 120,000 black men between the ages of 25 and 54 are missing from everyday life. In Chicago, 45,000 are, and more than 30,000 are missing in Philadelphia. Across the South — from North Charleston, S.C., through Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi and up into Ferguson, Mo. — hundreds of thousands more are missing.

They are missing, largely because of early deaths or because they are behind bars. Remarkably, black women who are 25 to 54 and not in jail outnumber black men in that category by 1.5 million, according to an Upshot analysis. For every 100 black women in this age group living outside of jail, there are only 83 black men. Among whites, the equivalent number is 99, nearly parity.

African-American men have long been more likely to be locked up and more likely to die young, but the scale of the combined toll is nonetheless jarring. It is a measure of the deep disparities that continue to afflict black men — disparities being debated after a recent spate of killings by the police — and the gender gap is itself a further cause of social ills, leaving many communities without enough men to be fathers and husbands.

1.5 Million Missing Black Men

maybe when they get off of their multi-million dollar grossing book tour yucking it up about jay-z they can get on this :coffee:

Obama compares himself to Jay-Z during surprise stop at Michelle Obama's book tour - CNNPolitics

Gravity

Banned
Daps
You can only assume that people with take what you say at face value. Michelle talked about how Barack put in the effort and made his intentions clear. How he didn't play games and wasn't on some "We'll see where it goes" tip. How she was tired of the games and men that weren't keeping it 100. Then she said don't lower your bar. To me, it's clear as day what she was referring to.

If someone takes that as meaning it's okay to have high standards in terms of looks/money/status/swag/etc., then I would question their comprehension skills.
Well, if someone you’re pursuing a relationship with tells you that they’re going to take things slow and see how things go which is just another way of saying “take my time to get to know you better” then they’re not playing games. Even if someone you’re pursuing a relationship tells you that their going to keep their options open, they’re not playing games. In both of those scenarios the said person is being upfront and honest about 2 different reasonable positions. Playing games is stringing people along making them think it’s one thing when it’s really another.

Her comments were pandering bullshyt and there’s really no way around it. There was absolutely no logic to them, she was just telling a crowd what they wanted to hear.

Women aren’t shamed for keeping their options open and outside of scapegoating black men for their low marriage rate, black women are literally pushed to not be wives. For the last 50 years black women have pushed this “strong and independent” shyt while demonizing “patriarchy”, which basically just means “fukk black men”. Marriage and a traditional family structure is looked at as part of the patriarchy. Michelle herself has always pushed this fake feminism shyt. People have forgotten how she called herself a single mother 4-5 years ago. If anybody’s playing games it’s women like Michelle and these other fake feminists who “want it all”. They like looking at themselves as “superwomen”. The only thing worse are the people dumb enough to fall for their bullshyt.