Mick Jenkins - Pieces Of Man (Discussion Thread)

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I gotta be honest, this isn't what I hoped it would be. The production is very monotonous. Every beat has the same feel and vibe. Feels like one long jazz interlude. That plain clothes track is a classic though. Stress fracture and gwendolyns apprehension are mad dope too. But I was just hoping for a breakout album here. Don't think this is anywhere close to the healing component or the waters. Honestly feel like there was better shyt on his soundcloud tapes.

Need mick back on these type of jazz beats

Still love mick though. Just feel like he's capable of much more. I thought him and J.I.D. were gonna compete for album of the year. If J.I.D. disappoints I'ma be :mjcry:

El Jefe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I gotta be honest, this isn't what I hoped it would be. The production is very monotonous. Every beat has the same feel and vibe. Feels like one long jazz interlude. That plain clothes track is a classic though. Stress fracture and gwendolyns apprehension are mad dope too. But I was just hoping for a breakout album here. Don't think this is anywhere close to the healing component or the waters. Honestly feel like there was better shyt on his soundcloud tapes.

Still love mick though. Just feel like he's capable of much more. I thought him and J.I.D. were gonna compete for album of the year. If J.I.D. disappoints I'ma be :mjcry:

i feel like ive been waitin for mick to take that next step since the waters - and im more disappointed then anythin that i hasnt eventuated .. he gonna f round and lose the opportunity if h dont bring it altogetehr soon

i havent peeped the project yet so im hopin this is more then what your sayin

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

He went in on this album, the production early on doesn't match his lyricism, but around track 5-6 the production picks up and takes off.

While this album was pretty good off first listen, I'm confused why Bruce Banner and What Am I To Do aren't on this. It's not a clearance or sample issue either because both songs are available on all streaming platforms.

:mindblown:

How are these not on this album?

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
He went in on this album, the production early on doesn't match his lyricism, but around track 5-6 the production picks up and takes off.

While this album was pretty good off first listen, I'm confused why Bruce Banner and What Am I To Do aren't on this. It's not a clearance or sample issue either because both songs are available on all streaming platforms.

:mindblown:

How are these not on this album?

Actually I'm feeling it a lot more on the 2nd listen. Still feel like the production coulda been better but mick killed it with the rhymes and the harmonizing. The beats are growing on me too. This is an album you smoke and lounge to. The only track I flat out don't like is "grace and mercy". The beat is just weak as fukk to me. Overall I'd give it a solid 7.5 right now but it'll prolly go up after a few more listens.

Not really tripping off Bruce banner and What am I to do. Cause I can just make my own playlist on spotify and add em on there.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
i feel like ive been waitin for mick to take that next step since the waters - and im more disappointed then anythin that i hasnt eventuated .. he gonna f round and lose the opportunity if h dont bring it altogetehr soon

i havent peeped the project yet so im hopin this is more then what your sayin
It got better to me on 2nd listen, but still wouldn't call it great. Haven't been able to listen to the album faded yet though so I still can't make my final judgment. I know mick was prolly blown as fukk making this shyt, so it's only right to be in the same mindset when listening to it.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Actually I'm feeling it a lot more on the 2nd listen. Still feel like the production coulda been better but mick killed it with the rhymes and the harmonizing. The beats are growing on me too. This is an album you smoke and lounge to. The only track I flat out don't like is "grace and mercy". The beat is just weak as fukk to me. Overall I'd give it a solid 7.5 right now but it'll prolly go up after a few more listens.

Not really tripping off Bruce banner and What am I to do. Cause I can just make my own playlist on spotify and add em on there.
Yeah, I thought it was impressive off first listen. I'm a have to add those songs as well.

I did the same with Sean's I Decided album with No Interviews and Living Single

Last edited:

TezMilli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MD via Brick City
It got better to me on 2nd listen, but still wouldn't call it great. Haven't been able to listen to the album faded yet though so I still can't make my final judgment. I know mick was prolly blown as fukk making this shyt, so it's only right to be in the same mindset when listening to it.

My nikka, I don't know what the hell you're listening to but this album is FIRE. Already ran thru this two times. Production is amazing to me and Mick is spttin crazy as usual.