Microsoft announces $300 VR Headset

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Microsoft’s partners will ship a new line of virtual reality headsets to take advantage of Windows 10’s VR and holographic capabilities. At today’s event, Microsoft said that the headsets will start at $299 and will include inside-out tracking sensors, obviating the need for external cameras or laser systems like those on the current Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer are all listed as partners.

While relatively little is known about the headsets, the six-degree-of-freedom tracking system sounds similar to Oculus’ Santa Cruz prototype, which also includes inside-out tracking. They are distinct from Microsoft HoloLens, an augmented or “mixed” reality headset that projects virtual objects into the real world. While the headsets don’t need external trackers, the one we saw on stage today still looks to be wired, not totally self-contained like Santa Cruz.

SSP_156.jpg

Microsoft’s listed partners are all already working in VR to some extent. Acer is working with Starbreeze to produce the high-end StarVR headsets, and Asus showed off a leather-strapped headset behind glass at Computex. Lenovo and Chinese startup AntVR partnered for a mobile VR setup. While HP and Dell don’t have headsets, both have produced backpack-mounted PCs. None of these companies, however, are major players in the consumer headset space, which is dominated by HTC, Sony, Samsung, and Facebook-owned Oculus. In fact, given that Microsoft has worked closely with Oculus in the past, it’s interesting to see the company absent here — at the announcement of what is essentially a new line of Windows VR products.

Daps
Reppin
DMV

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It's NOT for gaming though,its for Windows 10 and developers of the platform. Now we probably can talk again if its for gaming when the Scorpio comes out and they upgrade those VR headsets. With no gyro,external tracking or gaming mentions I wouldn't be too excited about this headset yet OP.
it uses "inside-out tracking" which probably does involve a gyro. but I am skeptical how good/useful the tracking will be

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
VR is cool (I own all 3 major headsets (PSVR, Vive, RIft), but it kinda seems like a fad. I hate to say it, but, it is what it is :ld:

The future of VR is in Sony's hands (since it's the cheapest and has the largest potential install base). If they stop supporting it, it's game over for VR...

Truth be told, I play by OR like a few times a week (for like an hour or so at a time....anymore and it gets boring), but haven't touched my Vive in months. My PSVR gets play on Thumper and Rez, but that get's kinda gimmicky too.

VR might just be a fad :mjcry:

I've invested a lot in VR this year (over $2K), but it might just be a fad. No AAA games are being made for any VR headset (which they desperately need). The highest rated VR game is Rez Infinite, and that's a remake...so....:manny:

I predict that VR will be over in 2 years :sadcam:

It has so much potential, but the hardware just isn't there yet. If devs keep supporting it, it'll get there, but I'm skeptical of that. With such a low user base, it's gotta be hard to make money.

Only enthusiasts are on this shyt in the PC world. While they make up a vocal semi-minority, they are not the typical gamer. The typical gamer plays shyt at 1080p with a 970 or lower. That barely covers VR (which is like $800 a pop). The PSVR is only $400 (with no peripherals). It's the best chance for success of the three headsets. If it fails, so does VR

Last edited:

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
I will never buy one of those vr bullshyts

All this vr shyt looks wack to me. Tried the Samsung one. Impressive in no way, shape, or form.:snooze:

Really wish this VR shyt would die off

VR will never take off. All of these companies will lose money.

yall are the same :old: nikkas who looked at the 2600 in the 70s like ":skip: home video games will never take off :skip:"

actually even worse yall are the ones still hating on video games in the 90s when the n64 dropped :mjlol:

if you can't see the viability and 100% chance this will revolutionize the world you're crazy

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
yall are the same :old: nikkas who looked at the 2600 in the 70s like ":skip: home video games will never take off :skip:"

actually even worse yall are the ones still hating on video games in the 90s when the n64 dropped :mjlol:

if you can't see the viability and 100% chance this will revolutionize the world you're crazy

I luv biddieogrames though :old:

I just find myself being annoyed with VR, I understand the technology is new so it's not gonna work right just like how voice recognition technology but idk man I'd rather not go through the failures

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
I luv biddieogrames though :old:

I just find myself being annoyed with VR, I understand the technology is new so it's not gonna work right just like how voice recognition technology but idk man I'd rather not go through the failures

how is a developers set for win10 a failure? :heh:

this is like when the apps stores opened up to third party devs

now the flood gates really open