Microsoft goes all in on ChatGPT. In talks of a 10 billion dollar investment and more

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

Microsoft Considers $10 Billion Investment in ChatGPT Creator​

• ChatGPT has crowned a year of advances for AI applications
  • OpenAI already working on next generation of technology
By
Dina Bass
+Follow
January 9, 2023 at 9:50 PM ESTUpdated onJanuary 9, 2023 at 11:02 PM EST

Microsoft Corp. is in discussions to invest as much as $10 billion in OpenAI, the creator of viral artificial intelligence bot ChatGPT, according to people familiar with its plans.

The proposal under consideration calls for the Redmond, Washington-based software giant to put the money in over multiple years, though the final terms may change, the people said, asking not to be named discussing a private matter. The two companies have been discussing the deal for months, they added.

Semafor earlier reported that the potential investment would involve other venture firms and could value OpenAI at about $29 billion, citing people familiar with the talks. Documents sent to investors had targeted end-2022 for a deal closing, it added.

Microsoft and OpenAI representatives declined to comment.

ChatGPT has lit up the internet since launching at the end of November, gathering its first million users in less than a week. Its imitation of human conversation sparked speculation about its potential to supplant professional writers and even threaten Google’s core search business. The organization behind it, co-founded by Elon Musk and Silicon Valley investor Sam Altman, makes money by charging developers to license its technology.

The new technology is built on OpenAI’s GPT-3 language model and comes at the end of a year of headline-grabbing advances in AI. The company’s Dall-E image-generating model — which accepts written prompts to synthesize art and other images — also gave rise to a broad debate about the infusion of AI into creative industries. OpenAI is already working on a successor GPT-4 model for its natural language processing.

Microsoft has previously invested about $1 billion in OpenAI. It’s also working to add ChatGPT to its Bing search engine, seeking an edge on Alphabet Inc.’s dominant search offering. The bot is capable of responding to queries in a natural and humanlike manner, carrying on a conversation and answering follow-up questions, unlike the basic set of links that a Google search provides.

Still, concern about its accuracy — which Altman himself has said is not good enough for the bot to be relied on — has prompted caution about its premature use, and New York City schools have banned its students from accessing ChatGPT.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think Google could be in serious trouble when ChatGPT starts cannibalizing their market share of Search.

I read that it costs $3 million/mo to run Chat GPT, so it might be a loss leader for the next few years until it is fully baked into their algos et al.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I think Google could be in serious trouble when ChatGPT starts cannibalizing their market share of Search.

I read that it costs $3 million/mo to run Chat GPT, so it might be a loss leader for the next few years until it is fully baked into their algos et al.

yeah mainstream tech illiterate users who don't use search operators or routinely rephrase/refine their search query's are the ones who will jump ship to openAI chatgpt. google should have really tackled those SEO blog spam results thats now a staple in search results. those sites that constantly change their publishing date or doesn't display one at all are the worse offenders.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yeah mainstream tech illiterate users who don't use search operators or routinely rephrase/refine their search query's are the ones who will jump ship to openAI chatgpt. google should have really tackled those SEO blog spam results thats now a staple in search results. those sites that constantly change their publishing date or doesn't display one at all are the worse offenders.
I think it'll be the opposite in the near term actually.

The tech-illiterates won't see the full potential of ChatGPT until it reaches a mainstream tipping point beyond cool party tricks, while the early adopters are almost exclusively tech-savvy at the moment. I consider myself a tech-literate, and even I saw ChatGPT as gimmicky until I realized just how expansive its knowledge was.

Also, to a lesser degree, there's a 'right' way to query ChatGPT for optimal answers that is analogous to the 'rephrasing/refining search queries' you mentioned.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I think it'll be the opposite in the near term actually.

The tech-illiterates won't see the full potential of ChatGPT until it reaches a mainstream tipping point beyond cool party tricks, while the early adopters are almost exclusively tech-savvy at the moment. I consider myself a tech-literate, and even I saw ChatGPT as gimmicky until I realized just how expansive its knowledge was.

Also, to a lesser degree, there's a 'right' way to query ChatGPT for optimal answers that is analogous to the 'rephrasing/refining search queries' you mentioned.

i'm talking about people looking for simple answers, no more rummaging through pages of sites. I don't usually ask questions on search engines but I've seen a lot of users especially my mom who ask questions instead of just using keywords. those are the users who i think will quickly migrate to chatgpt if the cost isn't prohibitive.

yeah people are already crowdsourcing the 'right way'/prompts to use on chatgpt

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I hope someone other than Google picks it up, because it sucks that Google's AI is otherwise the only real player until ChatGPT gets real use cases.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
:heh:
What do you mean "until"?

Because it's beyond writing someone's paper where something of this capability is meant for. To understand and also process to the level it does is very impressive.

As personal example, I'd like some of the functionality put into something like DeepL to improve an already good AI translator.