Mike Dean: Making The Beat With Scarface For "Never Seen A Man Cry," "Let Me Roll," N.O. Joe

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Until years ago, I always thought Mike Dean was black from the credits I read back in the 90s and 2000s. Also, No Joe is severely underrated. To this day, I still don't know what he looks like haha. I was the guy that loved reading album inserts from the 80s until cds became irrelevant. The Roots would have the best inserts because they'd explain about the songs recorded. Things Fall Apart is the greatest album inserts of all time. That inspired the book Rakim Told Me and the 2 volumes to follow... But yes, Mike Dean is dope. I love the beat he gave Madonna for "God control". That shyt was crazy. The breakdown at 53 seconds is insane.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Until years ago, I always thought Mike Dean was black from the credits I read back in the 90s and 2000s. Also, No Joe is severely underrated. To this day, I still don't know what he looks like haha. I was the guy that loved reading album inserts from the 80s until cds became irrelevant. The Roots would have the best inserts because they'd explain about the songs recorded. Things Fall Apart is the greatest album inserts of all time. That inspired the book Rakim Told Me and the 2 volumes to follow... But yes, Mike Dean is dope. I love the beat he gave Madonna for "God control". That shyt was crazy. The breakdown at 53 seconds is insane.

Yeah me too. But Scarface says he ain't produce shyt really. Just engineered most of his stuff in those days. But yeah I was an album credit nerd myself too, and always seen his name and N.O. Joe in the credits. Whatever though all that shyt was banging in my tape deck as a teenager

boogers

formerly boogerwolf
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa
i thought mike dean + face were one of those peanut butter+chocolate quality combos back in the day. like dre and snoop, eric and parrish, eric b and rakim, kool g rap and polo, etc

face even rapped over an interpolation of 99 red balloons on the diary and... pulled it off

i love that face actually plays instruments, and not on some lil wayne type of shyt either... did yall know hes left handed?

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
i thought mike dean + face were one of those peanut butter+chocolate quality combos back in the day. like dre and snoop, eric and parrish, eric b and rakim, kool g rap and polo, etc

face even rapped over an interpolation of 99 red balloons on the diary and... pulled it off

i love that face actually plays instruments, and not on some lil wayne type of shyt either... did yall know hes left handed?

This is why he's my personal GOAT....Pure artist simple and plain. Never really went for super stardom but still commercially and critically acclaimed. At one point he was " your favorite rapper's favorite rapper"

boogers

formerly boogerwolf
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa
This is why he's my personal GOAT....Pure artist simple and plain. Never really went for super stardom but still commercially and critically acclaimed. At one point he was " your favorite rapper's favorite rapper"
probably sounds weird to say but i would love to see Face do a blues album. he could crossover if he wanted to... everlast did it and he was corny. Face could do it... his work has a way of touching the soul i guess.

:dame:

left handed guitarists are not very common. jimi hendrix was one.. he was also ambidextrous, capable of playing with either hand, which is something paul mccartney also does, but only when playing live. hes naturally right handed

idk. i wanted to share some shyt i learned today :blessed:

the-more-you-know.gif