Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
npr.brightspotcdn.com.webp

Morgan's School of Global Journalism and Communication Launches Black Soccerlab
March 21, 2022

318a69b7952ab1c159ccb9a679af8006

BALTIMORE,-- Morgan State University's School of Global Journalism and Communication today announced the launch of Black SoccerLab, a think tank dedicated to the study of soccer in the African American community and across the African diaspora.

With a concentration on research, media programming and service, Black SoccerLab's mission is to share the narratives of the Black soccer community and showcase its development around the world. The lab, which will operate from the SGJC's Center for the Study of Race and Culture in Sports, shall highlight stories, examine issues and document history.

Black SoccerLab is introduced at an unprecedented time where African Americans are identifying as soccer fans in larger numbers and participating in the sport at every level. Morgan State professor Edward G. Robinson III, the director of the Center, will manage Black SoccerLab and support student-directed projects.

"Soccer is beloved by black people all around the world, and we want to capture that excitement and explore the evolution of that tradition in our research and projects," Robinson said. "We have a tremendous opportunity to collect and disseminate information about an unexplored community. As a think tank, there are so many ways to engage. We plan to connect with the pulse of the Black soccer community and share the message."

Instrumental to Black SoccerLab's integration into this space, the Center has partnered with advisors Akbar Majeed, founder of Concrete2Green, and Irv Smalls Jr., executive director of F.C. Harlem - two soccer executives with long-time ties to the Black soccer community.

"The Black SoccerLab is a groundbreaking platform for Black people to drive the narratives that are important to us around the world's most popular sport and its growth in the United States," Smalls said. "Our participation and impact in the sport requires a perspective that is uniquely ours."

Soccer is the world's most popular sport and its roots run deep across the African diaspora. Americans, however, have traditionally passed on soccer.

Over the past 30 years, the sport has developed modestly in the American marketplace, enough to support the growth of Major League Soccer. Still, many American sports fans have held soccer at arms-length. They choose football, basketball and baseball ahead of soccer.

African Americans have yet to fully adopt soccer. The future, however, portends another outcome. Across America, the number of black soccer players continues to grow, evidence by their collective increased participation in youth soccer, college soccer, Major League Soccer and the U.S. National Team. Black sports fans, who have traditionally measured just a blip on the radar, are finding their way to the pitch.

Black SoccerLab is well-positioned to monitor that growth. Concrete2Green founder Akbar Majeed has actively worked at the grassroots level to help bolster that growth.

"It's important for us to create our own properties like Black SoccerLab that offer authentic engagement and access to the Black community," Majeed said. "I'm excited about our partnership with MSU especially because of the rich history HBCU's have had in being in the forefront of cultural empowerment."

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@CarolinaBigAggie. @CoryMack @Originalman

We put up a thread recently about MLB courting AA athletes back into baseball. That's a sport that they dominated for decades. I grew up in a town that had a legendary franchise, The Newark Eagles. It's been an uphill battle getting youngsters to get into baseball as players or even spectators,though.

What do you think of the efforts to recruit AA athletes into a new sport, soccer? Does your alma mater field soccer teams? I think I remember hearing about some HBCUS killing two birds with one stone, by recruiting white soccer players. Do you think the sport will ever catch on here among AA high school age athletes?

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I think A&T only has a womens soccer team. I don’t know if it would take off there, but I do remember a lot of the international students playing in the bowl.

Charlotte just got a professional team, so I could see excitement picking up in the state. Went to the inaugural game, and it was fun.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
@CarolinaBigAggie. @CoryMack @Originalman

We put up a thread recently about MLB courting AA athletes back into baseball. That's a sport that they dominated for decades. I grew up in a town that had a legendary franchise, The Newark Eagles. It's been an uphill battle getting youngsters to get into baseball as players or even spectators,though.

What do you think of the efforts to recruit AA athletes into a new sport, soccer? Does your alma mater field soccer teams? I think I remember hearing about some HBCUS killing two birds with one stone, by recruiting white soccer players. Do you think the sport will ever catch on here among AA high school age athletes?

==
@Rhakim,

I believe you played football.. Does your school field a soccer team? Do you see the sport being embraced by high school age AA kids in the future?I believe soccer was/is big out in Cali
Youth soccer is popular among a wide range of kids, but it seems like only the kids with cultural ties to the sport play beyond that.
Many AA folks play soccer. Sadly they only play on the pickup level or after hs level around here. It is changing tho

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
I think A&T only has a womens soccer team. I don’t know if it would take off there, but I do remember a lot of the international students playing in the bowl.

Charlotte just got a professional team, so I could see excitement picking up in the state. Went to the inaugural game, and it was fun.

NC is one of the biggest youth soccer states already. It's just a matter of the big clubs bringing in the blacks, africans, caribbeans and mexicans w/ a real effort instead of them having to create their own leagues. Our best talent is still missing out on the pipeline in NC and America in general.

I grew up playing club ball w/ the cacs on the weekends but neighborhood ball w/ the brehs and hispanics during the week and the club ball was a breeze in comparison.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps

For The Culure: Black Soccer in North America by Major League Soccer

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Are there any North American born Black soccer players making any noise?