Most Underrated/Overrated martial arts

thefloorislava

All Star
Daps
Underrated : Judo
Judo is a great martial art that never really caught on in the U.S . The sweeps and throws make it a must learn to me imo. There is also potential to combine it with Muay Thai and become a sick mma fighter. If it wasn’t for the IJF banning leg grabs, I’d sing it’s praises. Otherwise it’s a versatile grappling art with good standup and ground game.

Overrated : Jiu Jitsu
I still respect BJJ as a grappling art but Im tired of people acting like it is some type of superpower. The reality is in 90% of physical confrontations being on the ground is a horrible idea. Submissions can be extremely useful but there’s a lot of shyt taught in modern BJJ that’s useless or even detrimental to a fight (pulling guard). I can see practical applications of judo/wrestling turning someone into a beast during a fight whereas the good aspects of BJJ are very situational. If it wasn’t for the arrogance of a lot of BJJ practitioners I’d be more forgiving but the delusion is annoying.

RehReh

🖤GhettoDolly🖤
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Il post 3 underrated as Im no expert but have been to a few different classes

Top underrated for me is Capoeira
Followed by Mashufaa
Followed by Wing Chun

I watch that show can't remember the name when they compare kick force, damage impact and velocity of different fighting styles. Pretty cool

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Underrated : Judo
Judo is a great martial art that never really caught on in the U.S . The sweeps and throws make it a must learn to me imo. There is also potential to combine it with Muay Thai and become a sick mma fighter. If it wasn’t for the IJF banning leg grabs, I’d sing it’s praises. Otherwise it’s a versatile grappling art with good standup and ground game.

Overrated : Jiu Jitsu
I still respect BJJ as a grappling art but Im tired of people acting like it is some type of superpower. The reality is in 90% of physical confrontations being on the ground is a horrible idea. Submissions can be extremely useful but there’s a lot of shyt taught in modern BJJ that’s useless or even detrimental to a fight (pulling guard). I can see practical applications of judo/wrestling turning someone into a beast during a fight whereas the good aspects of BJJ are very situational. If it wasn’t for the arrogance of a lot of BJJ practitioners I’d be more forgiving but the delusion is annoying.

It's a bit harder to flip people that aren't wearing the gi.

Il post 3 underrated as Im no expert but have been to a few different classes

Top underrated for me is Capoeira
Followed by Mashufaa
Followed by Wing Chun

I watch that show can't remember the name when they compare kick force, damage impact and velocity of different fighting styles. Pretty cool

What can be applied with Capoeira?

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
Overrated Kapu Kuʻialua; Kuʻialua; or Lua; is an ancient Hawaiian martial art based on bone breaking, joint locks, throws, pressure point manipulation, strikes, usage of various weapons, battlefield strategy, open ocean warfare as well as the usage of introduced firearms from the Europeans.

Underrated- Karate because all the other martial arts don’t let you challenge senseis for their dojos