N.A.A.C.P., Energized by Liberal Activists, Dismisses Its President

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
WASHINGTON — The national board of the N.A.A.C.P. voted Friday to dismiss the organization’s president, Cornell William Brooks, after only three years, pledging a “systemwide refresh” at the nation’s largest and most storied civil rights group in order to confront President Trump more vigorously.

Mr. Brooks, who said in an interview that he was “baffled” and saddened by the decision, will leave the organization at the end of June when his contract expires. The group will search for a new leader while Leon W. Russell, the chairman of the board, and Derrick Johnson, the vice chairman, head up day-to-day operations.

The sudden change at the top of the N.A.A.C.P. shows how the energy of liberal activists in the era of President Trump is forcing upheaval even in institutions like a century-old civil rights stalwart. Mr. Brooks was hardly reserved in his own activism. He was arrested in January for leading a sit-in at the Alabama office of Senator Jeff Sessions, trying to block his confirmation as attorney general.

But the board of the N.A.A.C.P. wants a new face of the organization. Mr. Russell and Mr. Johnson said the group needed to more effectively push back against Mr. Trump’s stances on issues like voting rights laws, public education, environmental policy and the criminal justice system. The group, which has been eclipsed in many ways by the more youthful Black Lives Matter movement and the broader opposition to Mr. Trump, is embarking on a listening tour of cities across the nation to get ideas about how it can remain relevant.

Continue reading the main story

Thoughts? Personally I don't agree with all of the splintered versions of BlackLivesMatter and their at times antagonistic approach, but if they indirectly pushes the NAACP to be more outspoken and proactive then I have to give them props. Imo NAACP has too many washed old heads like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton associated with them. Also, they are more tied into the church-scene and the black establishment idea.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
I respect what the NAACP was decades ago, but I'm not checking for them in 2017. They've basically become an appendage of the establishment and on the local level, in my own community, I've seen them push for shyt like increased numbers of police. So my sentiment towards them ranges from utter indifference to disdain.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I think I am accidentally a member of the NAACP...but they fukking failed and fell off over the last couple of decades...

The most important function of the NAACP is their legal activism...and I am not sure what they do anymore

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Well when you have white members masquarading around as black people expect a backlash, when you have a black organization that was started by white people and have no political bite today expect a backlash, when you have an organization that does nothing to help black and or colored people in this day and age when they're getting blasted by the police expect some sort of backlash...:yeshrug:

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
Who are these liberal activists?:what:

Why would they give a damn about the NAACP?

If you're really about a cause, why spend your time and energy pursuing such bullshyt?

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
It's an infiltration.... A coup...:coffee:
To do what though?!

Why take over an ineffective organization to do shyt you could without said organization anyway? Don't they know that the NAACP is a non-factor because they're meant to be a non-factor?

It's like saying, ''let's take over the DNC, brehs.'' For what? so their donors could run away? The name of your organization doesn't matter so long as the organization exists to uphold the current world order. It's stupid and childish.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
To do what though?!

Why take over an ineffective organization to do shyt you could without said organization anyway? Don't they know that the NAACP is a non-factor because they're meant to be a non-factor?

It's like saying, ''let's take over the DNC, brehs.'' For what? so their donors could run away? The name of your organization doesn't matter so long as the organization exists to uphold the current world order. It's stupid and childish.

I honestly don't know....:ld: