N.J. Challenges New York Tax on Residents Working Remotely

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

Stacie Sherman
Wed, December 23, 2020, 11:42 AM EST·2 min read
63bc3971fe347cfe872f88f707a49104

(Bloomberg) -- New Jersey is joining a legal battle to stop neighboring states from taxing residents who are working from home.

The shift to remote work amid Covid-19 led New Hampshire to file a lawsuit in October, seeking to bar Massachusetts from taxing people who stopped commuting to the state for work because of the outbreak. More than a dozen other states have since filed amicus curiae, or friend-of-the-court, briefs urging the U.S. Supreme Court to take up New Hampshire’s challenge. New Jersey, along with Connecticut, Hawaii and Iowa, filed their own on Dec. 22.

At stake for New Jersey is as much as $1.2 billion credited to its residents for income taxes paid to New York. Before the pandemic, more than 400,000 residents of New Jersey commuted to jobs in New York City. With many of these people now working remotely, their taxes are “more fairly attributed to New Jersey,” state Treasurer Elizabeth Maher Muoio said in a statement.

“The resolution of this case thus has far-reaching implications as to which states will collect billions in revenue during the pandemic,” New Jersey wrote in its brief.

Seven states currently tax people where their office is, even if they work remotely. While six of the states have permanent policies on nonresident income taxes, Massachusetts’s rule came as a result of the pandemic. “By taxing income earned entirely outside of its borders, Massachusetts subjects Granite Staters to simple but unconstitutional confiscation,” New Hampshire wrote in its complaint.

According to New York’s taxation website, any nonresident whose primary office is in the state but is telecommuting is still considered to be working in the state. Many states, including New Jersey, provide a tax credit to eliminate “double taxation” of a person’s income.

The issue has become more pressing since the outbreak began, with many offices closed and employees working from home, and many states facing budget deficits.

Such taxes “contain no mechanism to prevent double taxation if the taxpayer’s home state does not allow a credit,” New Jersey wrote in its brief. It “results not only in an unconstitutional windfall, but diverts the revenues that home states would otherwise receive.”

The case is New Hampshire v. Massachusetts, 22O154.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
New jersey buggin.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj27.pdf

snippet:
Sourcing :Specified digital products are subject to Sales Tax when the property is electronically delivered to the customer at an address in New Jersey. If the property is not received by the purchaser at the seller’s New Jersey business location or at the purchaser’s New Jersey location, the sale is subject to New Jersey Sales Tax if either the seller’s business records or the address provided by the purchaser during the sale indicate a New Jersey billing address. For example, if a New Jersey resident traveling in another state downloads music to a hand-held electronic device, the sale of the specified digital product is subject to New Jersey Sales Tax because the customer’s billing address is in New Jersey.

not exactly the same thing but their position is sort of a contradiction.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
New jersey buggin.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/anj27.pdf

snippet:

not exactly the same thing but their position is sort of a contradiction.
Ehh, doesn’t really matter. If tax is going to be charged, makes sense to charge it based on billing address given you may not have enabled tracking to let it allow you to be charged local sales tax

but to the bigger issue of who gets the tax when employees WFH...I’ve always thought it was messy to tax people based on where they work vs where they live. Seems like there should be an easier way to share that revenue. Jersey shouldn’t miss out on all of it, yet I get the point of you use the services of the city you work in so some income tax should go there.

ahh well, I don’t have those problems.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Don’t know how this case would go, but IMO it makes sense to tax on were the employees work. I say this because each state have different workplace laws and regulations. Employees are still working based on those laws and regulations even if they are working remotely in another state. But I’m not that invested in this one way or the other:manny:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Don’t know how this case would go, but IMO it makes sense to tax on were the employees work. I say this because each state have different workplace laws and regulations. Employees are still working based on those laws and regulations even if they are working remotely in another state. But I’m not that invested in this one way or the other:manny:

employers aren't going to be forced to figure out their obligations/withholdings based on where you are

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Taxes for income made in that state.

I anticipate the court will rule that the employees made the income in the home they resided

However

Let's say it is "normal" and people usually commute over state lines

If they worked 5 days from home in that situation..I highly doubt that they then list 5 days worth of income in a different spot on their tax form for income earned in a different state. I'm sure they've been lumping it all together

Uncle Phil 36

All Star
Daps
:what: The state should be saving money from people staying home.

Plus its not like I'm still supporting the local economy.

I'm getting robbed from DD's delivery fees.

how would they be saving money? Those people aren’t using public transportation, paying tolls, etc