NaS Sold out?

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
17 years later, kinda crazy to think I shyt on this song, and Nas for selling out.

Nas - If I ruled the World..

Classic...

LionofJudah

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“I would slap the shyt out of somebody for Gwyneth Paltrow,” Nas told CBS Local recently. “She’s the homie, she’s cool. Gwyneth gets a pass. Real people get a pass. We know what this shyt is. We don’t interrupt Italians when they say ‘Wop’ to each other. They gonna punch you in the mouth if you interrupt that. Don’t interrupt us. We pick and choose. Some might not feel the same way,” he added. “Some of us will get angrier about it than others; but some people get a pass. The people that I know who are cool and real nikkas, Gwyneth Paltrow is a real nikka that’s my homie. That’s how I’m on it. Some people get a pass.”

-Nas The Street's Disciple

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
“I would slap the shyt out of somebody for Gwyneth Paltrow,” Nas told CBS Local recently. “She’s the homie, she’s cool. Gwyneth gets a pass. Real people get a pass. We know what this shyt is. We don’t interrupt Italians when they say ‘Wop’ to each other. They gonna punch you in the mouth if you interrupt that. Don’t interrupt us. We pick and choose. Some might not feel the same way,” he added. “Some of us will get angrier about it than others; but some people get a pass. The people that I know who are cool and real nikkas, Gwyneth Paltrow is a real nikka that’s my homie. That’s how I’m on it. Some people get a pass.”

-Nas The Street's Disciple

Man, I don't really give a shyt about that stuff. I grew up, rappers/rockers musician's in general, say dumb shyt all the time. This song popped up on my playlist. And reminded me how much I hated on it, and thought Nas sold out. But yet I have vibed with it, for 17 years..

LionofJudah

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, I don't really give a shyt about that stuff. I grew up, rappers/rockers musician's in general, say dumb shyt all the time. This song popped up on my playlist. And reminded me how much I hated on it, and thought Nas sold out. But yet I have vibed with it, for 17 years..

If we're simply talking musically, 'Quick To Back Down' comes to mind.

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
If we're simply talking musically, 'Quick To Back Down' comes to mind.

I was just trying to talk about this record. I just went and re-listen to "Quick To Back Down", jesus that is a awful song. :mjlol:

Like I said, I am just trying to keep it to the "If I ruled the world" record. And how people thought Nas sold out with said record, when it came out. And how it is still good today.

What the hell happened to Lil Jon?

LionofJudah

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was just trying to talk about this record. I just went and re-listen to "Quick To Back Down", jesus that is a awful song. :mjlol:

Like I said, I am just trying to keep it to the "If I ruled the world" record. And how people thought Nas sold out with said record, when it came out. And how it is still good today.

What the hell happened to Lil Jon?

You're just trying to discuss this track so i won't mention Lil John again. :pachaha:I know people thought Nas sold out with this track because it got 24/7 play on the radio, but it was when I really started fukking with Nas. I knew him from Raekwon's album and a few tracks before that, but I can truly say I had never heard Illmatic till later. shyt, most people didn't hear illmatic till later. But this song was pure unadulterated DOPENESS. Still is IMO. Where is that Nas at today? :why:

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
You're just trying to discuss this track so i won't mention Lil John again. :pachaha:I know people thought Nas sold out with this track because it got 24/7 play on the radio, but it was when I really started fukking with Nas. I knew him from Raekwon's album and a few tracks before that, but I can truly say I had never heard Illmatic till later. shyt, most people didn't hear illmatic till later. But this song was pure unadulterated DOPENESS. Still is IMO. Where is that Nas at today? :why:

Lol, most people who are Nas fans on these forums, did not listen to Illmatic till the they heard stillmatic. But that is nether here nor there.. :lolbron:

Like I said, this song has held up over time..

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
every single rapper who has ever made a dollar off of their art has "sold out". people confuse selling your product with a lack of artistic dignity. Nas is one of those few MC"'s who hasn't sacrificed that while in the mainstream.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Lol, most people who are Nas fans on these forums, did not listen to Illmatic till the they heard stillmatic. But that is nether here nor there.. :lolbron:

Like I said, this song has held up over time..
Where the fukk was y'all nikkas at? Illmatic was gold by 96 and one of the most heavily bootlegged albums ever and all the magazines were on Nas' d*ck and they use to play some of his cuts on radio, he was on MTV raps and all that and had several features before IWW that should have made people familiar with him.

IWW was so commercially successful based off the hype from Illmatic. Also IWW stood the test of time, a lot of the people that hated it at first feel this way.

LionofJudah

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where the fukk was y'all nikkas at? Illmatic was gold by 96 and one of the most heavily bootlegged albums ever and all the magazines were on Nas' d*ck and they use to play some of his cuts on radio, he was on MTV raps and all that and had several features before IWW that should have made people familiar with him.

IWW was so commercially successful based off the hype from Illmatic. Also IWW stood the test of time, a lot of the people that hated it at first feel this way.

I don't remember Nas being talked about like that in '94-'95. True, nikkas knew he was nasty from Live At The Bar-B-Que and Verbal intercourse and all that, but I never heard people talk about him like that until '96 and one reason for that was largely dueto Pac getting at him. But if you're from NY or something like that, I could see how your experience would be different.