Nate Diaz: UFC tried to boot me from Ice Cube movie in favor of white boys like McGregor & GSP

farfan

Rookie
Daps
When longtime rapper-turned-movie star Ice Cube wanted to promote his new movie Fist Fight, co-starring Charlie Day, he turned to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight contender Nate Diaz.

Watch the promo right here.

But according to Diaz, the world’s largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion wanted to whitewash the video spot with someone who doesn't “talk all messed up,” like Conor McGregor or Georges St-Pierre.

From USA Today:

"The UFC is like, ‘We're thinking GSP or Conor McGregor,' " Diaz said. "My guy said, ‘Don't worry, we're going to use Nate.' They came back to say, ‘We really think you should use GSP or Conor.'

"I don't know what it is. I'm not a white boy with blue eyes or great looking, I talk all (messed) up. I'm not the look they're going for, but this is fighting. You don't go for a look. You go for the baddest that's out there. This is an example of my whole career."
Diaz: UFC Tried To Replace Me With ‘White Boys’ Like Mac And GSP

Statik

King Of Kings.
Daps
White boy? Smh typical american racists are disgusting.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Man you can tell the Diaz brothers are Mexican. Even if they are half, they identify more with being Hispanic.

There's some that "choose a side". I got a friend that is white/Hispanic but she always refers to herself as Hispanic.

Also what a surprise! :yeshrug: They try to promote the UFC with white faces. That's why I'm ambivalent about Conor. He is a good fighter, great work ethic, but he gets all this push because he's a brash white guy.

I go watch fights and you see all these white people all of a sudden turning Irish when Conor comes on :francis:

I can't say I wasn't satisfied when Nate starched him in the first fight.