Natural Ladies, what is your natural story/ experience ?

LimitedEdition

Misanthropy Personified
Daps
Reppin
In the south!
1.Why did you really go natural?
2. What was your experience with/ thoughts of of your hair before?
3. Have you ever backslid?
4. Did something discourage/has someone or something either discouraged you?
5. Would you ever get a perm again?
6. Regrets?

1. I was bored, broke, relaxers never got my hair bone straight like I wanted them to and thought I was gonna have Angela Davis hair (nowhere near my hair type :mjlol:).
2. I've ALWAYS had hair. And I have somewhat resilient hair. Ive dished out all kinds of abuse and its never up and left me. Ive always been able to take care of my hair.
3. Yes, after 4 years of being natural (3 of which included transitioning) I relaxed again because I got tired of trying to roller set my thick long natural hair. I wanted straight hair in an easier way.
4. DILLIGAF
5. Hell no. When I did relax. I immediately missed the thickness and bigness of my hair. My big hair is my protector. It makes me feel fierce. It says "Don't do it."
6. About 1.5 years ago I used what i thought was a "leave in" before I flat ironed my hair. It was a product I brought home from DR. It wasn't in english and I half assed translated it… It was Keratin. My shyt is fukked up. Im transitioning again. I want to cut it off but I haven't had short hair since I was maybe 20 (a short relaxed blond bob). I got about 8 inches of natural hair and about 20 inches of keratin/heat damaged hair. Strongly considering cutting it this summer… :lupe: Just not sure what to expect from my shrinkage

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Yeah I got dry scalp.

I feel like getting some kinda braids cause someone won't keep they hands off my curls and afro. :what:

I can't keep my hands out either :mjcry: I think I will do the twist myself too.

1. I was bored, broke, relaxers never got my hair bone straight like I wanted them to and thought I was gonna have Angela Davis hair (nowhere near my hair type :mjlol:).
2. I've ALWAYS had hair. And I have somewhat resilient hair. Ive dished out all kinds of abuse and its never up and left me. Ive always been able to take care of my hair.
3. Yes, after 4 years of being natural (3 of which included transitioning) I relaxed again because I got tired of trying to roller set my thick long natural hair. I wanted straight hair in an easier way.
4. DILLIGAF
5. Hell no. When I did relax. I immediately missed the thickness and bigness of my hair. My big hair is my protector. It makes me feel fierce. It says "Don't do it."
6. About 1.5 years ago I used what i thought was a "leave in" before I flat ironed my hair. It was a product I brought home from DR. It wasn't in english and I half assed translated it… It was Keratin. My shyt is fukked up. Im transitioning again. I want to cut it off but I haven't had short hair since I was maybe 20 (a short relaxed blond bob). I got about 8 inches of natural hair and about 20 inches of keratin/heat damaged hair. Strongly considering cutting it this summer… :lupe: Just not sure what to expect from my shrinkage

Keratin is the Devil IMO

LimitedEdition

Misanthropy Personified
Daps
Reppin
In the south!
Keratin is the Devil IMO

For real I KNEW it was the devil when it first got popular. I was like Nope, #DontWant If I'd known thats what was in the damn bottle I would've never bought it. It was Lacio Lacio Keratina Plus. I must been stupid thinking it was just the regular Lacio Lacio. My hair looks damn near relaxed from midshaft to the ends. People didn't see the difference at first but now that its growing out… SMMFH. Its blatantly obvious.
:mjcry: I was 4 years in now I feel like Im starting all the way over. This feels like another transition. Blending textures and fluffing my hair for forever just because it doesnt have the fullness it should have. *sigh*

Amy Traphouse

Supporter
Daps
Wash day was yesterday.

So many knots :mjcry: and I had a patch in the back that was just knotted and matted :damn:. I conditioned and detangled for an hour.

My husband had to keep checking on me cuz I was cussing and throwing combs.

About 3hrs later I eventually washed, detangled, (and a few snips) and braided my hair. I almost gave up :mjcry:

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
wait so keratin shyt like this :
aphogee-intensive-two-minute-keratin-reconstructor-eight-ounce-350x350.jpg
is bad for our hair.... @Raedawn07 :lupe:

Seea

rill rill
Daps
Reppin
Nope.
1.Why did you really go natural?
My last salon experience was terrible. The relaxer used on me wasn't my usual, and the lady was impatient as hell. Plus I had been talking about going natural for years, and was fed up enough to finally do it.

2. What was your experience with/ thoughts of of your hair before?
I've had texturizer in my hair before also. That was better for me than the relaxer, but my mom never stuck with it and went back to the relaxer a few years in. They have always been destructive though. Issues with moisture and breakage, as well as scalp, didn't help. My hair never had a problem growing no matter what I put on it but I never liked how limp it was after being relaxed; I always preferred when it had volume and wasn't bone straight.

3. Have you ever backslid?
Nope. 5 years skrong!

4. Did something discourage/has someone or something either discouraged you?
My ex wasn't on board for a while, because I did the Big Chop, but after he observed it flourishing he would jig all over the place. I've had family members say they've been natural before; they just didn't stick with it because other people told them it made them look "depressed" or whatever. I was like "Oh. 5 years skrong over here though girl!"

5. Would you ever get a perm again?
For whet?

6. Regrets?
That boatload of products I tried before doing research and getting the things that work for my hair. It was awful, that trial and error period. So much tangling, so dry, just TERRIBLE.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
wait so keratin shyt like this :
aphogee-intensive-two-minute-keratin-reconstructor-eight-ounce-350x350.jpg
is bad for our hair.... @Raedawn07 :lupe:

I'm believe so, it damaged part of my curl pattern and I just did a store organix treatment. I believe anything that chemical alters your natural hair is bad in the short or long run.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
I'm believe so, it damaged part of my curl pattern and I just did a store organix treatment. I believe anything that chemical alters your natural hair is bad in the short or long run.
:mjcry: uh-oh....what can i use as a substitute, i need somethin that adds protein and balances out the pH levels in my hair like the aphogee did.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Wash day was yesterday.

So many knots :mjcry: and I had a patch in the back that was just knotted and matted :damn:. I conditioned and detangled for an hour.

My husband had to keep checking on me cuz I was cussing and throwing combs.

About 3hrs later I eventually washed, detangled, (and a few snips) and braided my hair. I almost gave up :mjcry:

I'm out of town and a have to wash me hair today. I will have to comb and detangle in the shower :mjcry:

:mjcry: uh-oh....what can i use as a substitute, i need somethin that adds protein and balances out the pH levels in my hair like the aphogee did.

:francis: idk...I gotta research