Need Hair Advice

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm growing dreads, been growing my hair for about 7months now without cutting the top.
But its really slow.:francis:

My longest hairs about 6 inches, but I also got some 2inch long hairs:mjgrin:

I figure ya'll know more about growing hair than TLR nikkas so help me out.:feedme:

My female friends told me shyt like egg yolk and castor oil but I knew they was trolling me, nice try tho:mjlol:

ozzy

Pro
Daps
I'm growing dreads, been growing my hair for about 7months now without cutting the top.
But its really slow.:francis:

My longest hairs about 6 inches, but I also got some 2inch long hairs:mjgrin:

I figure ya'll know more about growing hair than TLR nikkas so help me out.:feedme:

My female friends told me shyt like egg yolk and castor oil but I knew they was trolling me, nice try tho:mjlol:[/
QUOTE]

Use Jamaica black castor oil it does the work. You have to put it on everyday to see the result and plait your hair maybe at night or any of these men hairstyles. When you plait your hair it help your hair grow quicker.

Daps
hair on average grows a 1/2 inch per month. some people get less than that.

Jamaican castor oil does work and so does hair vitamins. the downside with hair vitamins is that it can cause acne. also make sure you are talking care of your hair. (i don't have locs so i don't know what the exact care regime is like but i am assuming you have to keep it moisturized and wash your hair on a regular basis)

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OK I bought castor oil, I dunno about that hair plating stuff but I'll look it up.

My ex used to take hair pills, is thst what you mean by vitamins?

WarmCool

Rookie
Daps
Some people use eggs in their hair if it's damaged because they're full of protein and vitamins (A, D and E) . I've used it before when I felt like my hair was dry and brittle but it's not something I do often. If you do use eggs in a hair treatment, be sure to rinse it out with cold water because hot water will cook the eggs.

Moisture is key to hair growth so you should be moisturizing several times a week and sealing the moisture with oils (coconut oil, tea tree oil, castor oil, etc.). Depending on the density and porosity of your hair, you may need to moisturize and seal everyday. How frequently do you wash your hair? Unless you experience a lot of product build up during a short period of time, you should only be washing your hair once a week (or every two weeks). When washing your hair, try not to use shampoo because it strips your hair of natural oils and dries it out. Instead, use conditioner to wash your hair (which is called co-washing) because it's less harsh than shampoo.

Also keep your hands out of your hair (Hand-in-Hair syndrome) because they strip your hair of moisture and oils. Try wearing a beanie if you notice that you tug on your locs often.

Sleep with a satin scarf over your hair at night because tossing and turning throughout the nights leads to friction that can cause breakage due to sleeping on (not so soft) pillow cases (plus the scarf will help to keep the moisture and oils in your hair and not on your pillow).

Products you should look into:

-Shea butter (this plus water = moisture)
-Cocoa butter (this plus water = moisture)
-Coconut oil (sealing)
-Castor oil (sealing)
-Tea Tree oil (sealing)
-Almond oil (sealing)(makes my hair super soft)
-Argan oil (good for growth)

Another thing, eating habits play a big part in hair growth so you should be incorporating a lot of nutrients, protein and vitamins into your diet. Be sure to drink plenty of water and eat healthy fats (avocados). Even if you do not fully commit to switching up your diet, smoothies are always good to make (not buy).

My average smoothie consists of:

-Kale
-Bananas (they add sweetness)
-Flax seeds
-Chia seeds
-Almond milk
-Some other fruit
-Spinach

No two heads are the same so you'll go through a lot of trial and error but eventually you'll figure out what works for you.

Daps
OK I bought castor oil, I dunno about that hair plating stuff but I'll look it up.

My ex used to take hair pills, is thst what you mean by vitamins?
yes-hair "pills" are vitamin supplements that have things like biotin and MSM which has been linked to hair (and nail growth).

there are a lot of different brands to chose from. the one that i really liked are the ones by mane choice (purple and black bottle, usually on sale online at sallys and other places).

also are you sure your hair isn't breaking off? if you have a lot of new growth (your roots need to be twisted a lot) but are seeing no length that means your hair is breaking off.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So much knowledge dropped I really appreciate it!

Gonna order some pills off Amazon and crack a few eggs on my dome when I get home :ohlawd:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can we get pics of this hair:mjlol:
And what does Your Nigerian father think of this?:skip:

he doesn't care that much.

My mom on the other hand would :francis:

Lemme put some eggs in my hair and see if that works, then i'll post pics. I dont like how it looks now

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah Iunno about this. :patrice:

I put 2 eggs in my hair (was probably too much cuz it spilled all over my shirt) and let that shyt sit.
3 hours later it was fully dried and made my hair feel brittle so i washed it out.

I guess I wasn't thinking because I used hot water and the eggs were cooking in my head :mjgrin:

Iunno if it feels stronger or not, how many days in a row should I do this?

I'm also doing the castor oil thing.
What about leave-in conditioner, should I do that?

WarmCool

Rookie
Daps
Yeah Iunno about this. :patrice:

I put 2 eggs in my hair (was probably too much cuz it spilled all over my shirt) and let that shyt sit.
3 hours later it was fully dried and made my hair feel brittle so i washed it out.

I guess I wasn't thinking because I used hot water and the eggs were cooking in my head :mjgrin:

Iunno if it feels stronger or not, how many days in a row should I do this?

I'm also doing the castor oil thing.
What about leave-in conditioner, should I do that?

Should've been more specific about the egg thing... Here's my egg conditioner recipe:

-1 egg (2 if your hair is very thick or long)
-1 tablespoon of conditioner
-1 tablespoon of oil (I use coconut oil for this)

Mix the ingredients together, section your hair, and massage the mix into your hair (start with your roots and work your way down to your ends). Use a hair coloring brush if needed. Afterwards, put on a shower cap (which will keep your hair from drying out) and let the treatment sit for a few hours. Once you're ready to rinse the treatment out, use cold water. This isn't something that you'll need to do regularly so if you do it the right way, you won't "need" to do it again for a few weeks.

You will not see immediate results and there isn't a universal cheat code to long, healthy hair so you have to take care of it consistently in order for growth to become apparent.

You can use leave-in conditioner to moisturize your hair but be sure to use oil at the same time in order to seal in the moisture.

P.S. Condition your hair after washing (or wetting) it, not when it's dry.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Hair grows naturally like @LeeDoubleLee said, your job is to not break it off once it grows. Which is pretty easy with locs.

It all starts with your foundation, your scalp. Keep it clean and healthy. Scalp massages and things like peppermint, rosemary, eucalyptus oils and Jamaican Black Castor oil stimulate the scalp which promotes hair growth.

You need to maintain a protein/moisture balance. Think of your hair like a plant or garden. You need to keep it moisturized and hydrated (this means water) so it doesn't turn dry nd crunchy like a dead plant.

Also don't want your hair to feel mushy and loose it shape when you stretch it. That means it's waterlogged and lacking protein.
I recommend a protein conditioner with hydrolyzed proteins since the proteins from food are too big and just sit on top of the strands.
But if you want something simple Greek yogurt with honey was something that worked nicely when I first started my hair journey.

For more info on proteins for hair check out this link:
All About Different Types of Proteins in Hair Products

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
lol biotin, water and sleep, get castor oil, argon, johoba, shea butter and coconut oil. cowash daily and use shampoo every two weeks. moisture is key keep a spray bottle and have a good moisterizing cream. trim split ends and maybe a hot oil treatment once a month for vitality. see if your hair has low or high porosity.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wow you guys really dropping knowledge in here. Ok I think I need to make a plan based on what I've read in this thread. So shampooing everyday is probably not good?

This thread has exposed that I've been taking shyt care of my hair, no wonder it don't grow :deadmanny: