New billboard in Detroit states it is the "Birthplace Of Techno Music" #BLACKEXCELLENCE

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
paxahau_billboard.jpg

Production company Paxahau has removed and replaced the Movement billboard that stood at the Russell Industrial Center advertising the festival year-round to drivers along I-75.

We'd occasionally debated with vehicle passengers whether the annual three-day event necessitated an advertisement that stood in the same place 365 days a year. This writer had argued yes, as the countdown to Detroit's premiere electronic music festival always begins the day after Memorial Day, which is the day that it ends. For fans like us, the billboard provided a sense of comfort that at any time, the party was just around the corner.

But so long to the billboard bearing the signature Movement logo (you know that swirl, reminiscent of the shape ravers sucking on pacifiers created with their hands in the '90s). Now, with just 46 days 'til Ravesmas, the minimalist signage has been replaced with a well-known factoid, written in all caps: "DETROIT IS THE BIRTHPLACE OF TECHNO MUSIC." (The message is technically still an ad for the fest — if you squint, you can catch the Movement swirl wildin' out in miniature in the billboard's bottom right corner.)

We first noticed the change yesterday. Perhaps Paxahau was operating under the impression that most people planning to attend the festival have already purchased their tickets, and that the thousands of people coming into town for the event could benefit from a small history lesson.

New billboard reminds public 'DETROIT IS THE BIRTHPLACE OF TECHNO MUSIC'

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Chicago would like to have a word with Detroit :mjpls:
Chicago invented house music.
Techno is a strict Detroit invention.
Juat like the difference between Juke/footwork and Jit.
One is House at 160bpm. The other is Techno at 160 bpm.

But both are respective black created genres reigning from the Chi and the D.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
who invented deep house ??

Chicago. Detroit.
Then NYC.
Its hard to really pinpoint where the sound came from but it definitely starts with Chicago and people like Larry Heard in the 80s where basically it was an extension of disco music catered mainly to black clubs in the chicago area.

It specifically started in the midwest.
The nyc deep house scene was an extension of that same thing but I personally feel like it wasn't defined until 1990-1994.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
i fukks wit it.

you gotta do this to remind people who the originators were or else white people will say shyt like europeans created techno.
Its all about paying homage to the originators and the innovators who laid down the foundation for the culture and the artform. Thats still relovent today.
:salute:
Still waiting on white techno DJs that do shows in Detroit to acknowledge the water crisis in Flint tho
:sas2:
And to send some sort of donation money towards water preservation efforts.
And to acknowledge systematic racism and white privilege to their fans/followers...especially with gentrification and an increased awareness of police brutality against unarmed black people
Seems alot of them like to avoid discussing anything regarding race & black people even though they artists are in a black music genre.
Ans whenever they do its either crickets or they get that :mjpls: deflection from some of their fans
Seems alot of them would rather talk about gender and lobbying for more (white) female producers/DJs...while ignoring the contributions of black people altogether past/present/future....
Seems alot of promoters would just like to phase black people out of the club world and use what is black music to promote bougie white upper class club vip bottle service boat party festival culture.
Thats why stuff like this is important.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:jbhmm:
In before some c00n gives Krafwerk undeserved credit in that genre

Kraftwerk was broken in America by black radio DJs in Detroit and Chicago in the early 80s.

On the topic of Kraftwerk :sas1: ......................:sas2:

I've already made a thread on this...
:ufdup: African Americans created a pillar of videogame music: Techno

...as a result I'm not interested in having that discussion in this thread, so I'll quote myself from a Wikipedia article I participated in a couple years ago instead.
:ufdup: Talk:Electro (music) - Wikipedia

There is an obvious culture clash (U.S. / Europe) in defining terms & practices
1. Decide if Electro is going to mean "Electronic music" or "Electro-funk"

2. Make a distinction between the usage of an instrument v.s the form that usage takes.

Example: (music genre, instrument arrangement, band theme)
  • Kraftwerk = (new wave/punk/pop genre, all electric instrument arrangement, Future theme)
  • Parliament = (Funk genre, partial electric instrument arrangement, space theme)
  • david bowe(space oddity) = (Progressive rock genre,partial electric instrument arrangement, space theme)
  • Africa bambaataa = (Hip hop genre, all electric instrument arrangement, electro-funk theme)
  • chicago House = (Hip hop/Disco genre, all electric instrument arrangement, Dance theme)
  • Detroit techno = (House/funk/techno genre, all electric instrument arrangement no lyrics, future theme

3. The genre of music played, instrumentation, and theme might overlap at different times but that doesn't make two groups the same. It seems people are trying to lump different genres of music together just because they share common instrumentation arrangement which makes no sense. Just because both David bowie and parliment used a "partial electric instrument arrangement" and space theme doesn't make them the same style of music. Like wise just because Kraftwerk a (new wave/punk/pop) band used an "all electric instrument arrangement" doesn't mean it automatically becomes synonymous with "Detroit Techno" (House/funk/techno) or Africa bambaataa(hip hop).

4. Hip Hop(electro-funk/house/techno) is partially caricaturized by the act of sampling break beats(with the exception of maybe techno) ...not whos' break beat you sample. To say that Kraftwerk has more significance then simply being used as one of many samples or at the most being one of the first to use an "all electric instrument arrangement" is misleading.

5. If electro is going to mean "Electronic music" or specifically "partial or whole electric instrument arrangement" then the credit focus should go to the engineers of the synthesizers not the players of them. Because when they hit the market loads of different producers got there hands on and used them before anything called electro had arrived on the scene. Basically people made what ever style of music they were making before except they used synth instead of traditional instruments ...similar to early use of the electric guitar.

If we want to make an article about "early adopters" or "adoption over time" of "electric instrument arrangements" independent of the musical styles(new wave, rock, funk, hip hop, punk, etc.) that incorporated those "electric instrument arrangements" then that's a different story.

6. If electro is going to be a genre of music I think it should be electro-funk, techno, (possibly house) and then their many derivations. If it means something other then simply "electronic music"(electric instrument arrangements) in Europe then we might need a disambiguation page.

Last edited: