New Bronze Nazareth interview at Medium.com

IronFist

🎯 𝓘𝓵𝓵𝓾𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓽 🎯
Supporter
Daps
1*bZVplKxw4UyNbG6_iVKj3w.jpeg

Bronze Nazareth — the prolific music producer, rapper and record-label owner — has not stopped working since his induction into the hip-hop culture. Born as Justin Cross in Detroit, Michigan in December 1979, Bronze gained critical acclaim as soon as he arrived on the scene at large while simultaneously earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology from Michigan State University in 2003.

Responsible for “The Birth” and “A Day To God Is 1000 Years” — the most popular cut on the long-awaited official RZA solo album Birth Of A Prince in October 2003 — Bronze kept busy until securing his first full-length breakthrough.

After founding his independent record label Black Day In July Productions in December 2004, the compilation album Wu-Tang Meets the Indie Culture was released in October 2005 — largely produced and cultivated by Nazareth. The record was a major success, blending underground hip-hop artists with Wu-Tang Clan members and affiliates.

Shortly after, Bronze began his illustrious and varied solo career, releasing his first official solo record The Great Migration in May 2006, considered a classic amongst the majority of Wu-Tang and hip-hop fans. Bronze then released his first official group album Wisemen Approaching under the Wisemen moniker in February 2007, with production handled between Bronze and his best friend/older brother Kevin “Kevlaar 7” Cross and featured legends such as Gary “GZA” Grice and Walter “Killah Priest” Reed.

Bronze Nazareth continued his steady stream of legendary albums, features and verses; he has also experienced a great deal of loss. In June 2009, longtime friend Kirk Jackson passed away after a long battle with addiction. In December 2014, Kevlaar 7 passed away, succumbing to a long battle with a rare blood disorder known as Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome.

The duality of tragedy and success has yet to slow down Bronze Nazareth. He continues producing heartfelt, honest hip-hop music and spreading knowledge through his lyrics and authentic disposition.

Bronze Nazareth recently took the time to discuss his career thus far, love for wisdom, the collaborative spirit and his goals for the future.

ON SELF-SATISFACTION:

Yes and no. I’m proud of what I’ve achieved. I think against a lot of odds, I’ve done well. On the flipside, I’m not satisfied at all. There’s independent acts doing big tours, getting the right promo, festivals, spins. My music is comparable. And I’ve had tours, done a few festivals. I get shows; I get respect for sure. But not too often do I get, ‘Yo Bronze, jump on this tour with us” or “Hey, let’s do an album with Bronze and such-and-such.

Even when I do a collabo project, it gets critical acclaim but poor coverage. I’ve been largely under-promoted, which is why you never heard a Joey BadA$$-Bronze Nazareth joint, or why there’s no Bronze Naz verse on a producer’s albums, or why there’s a lack of Bronze Naz album reviews/interviews on blogs.

ON PROLIFIC OUTPUT:

It’s very important, especially now; you gotta keep your name out there amongst the saturation. People forget music now faster than ever, so you have to give your fans a lot so you don’t slip from their radar. What I’ve put out doesn’t come close to what’s in the stash.

ON OPEN COMMUNICATION:

It’s all about winning fans and keeping them so they grow with you. I try to get back to everyone as best I can. If you take your time to listen to my music and then take time out of your day to show me love, I’ma always show love back.

ON DETROIT INSPIRATION:

Maybe more so inspired by mood and my surroundings. If I’m in a certain mood, I’ll catch a certain note that feeds it. If I’m down, it’s hard to write a upbeat joint. When I’m in the city, I can feel the grit.

1*u_OxEJrAUd259Yo_GxaDhQ.jpeg

“It ain’t no time when freedom is on the clock” — Good Morning (A Nice Hell)
This one line says a lot.

It’s really deep yet simple: when freedom is on the line, you need it by that next second, the next minute, the next moment.

The only time on the clock of freedom is NOW. It’s really saying: no time for progress — just change. That is the urgency when freedom is at stake, or even a percentage of freedom.

Equality is a simple idea but seems impossible for humankind to achieve.

Why was Kalief Browder locked up so long for a alleged theft, yet Ray Tensing is out on bond for murder? Why is James Holmes getting a life sentence for all those he shot, yet Troy Davis executed controversially?

Can’t foresee equality anytime soon, because it is purposefully neglected, and done systematically. Not in my lifetime, at least.