new documentary on sexual harassment in hollywood

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
Hollywood is often viewed as a place where dreams are made. However, the reality that some women face within the entertainment industry can become a nightmare.

In her latest project, H.U.S.H., Angela Hutchinson delves into sexual harassment in Hollywood.

What is the overall theme of your latest project, H.U.S.H.?

H.U.S.H. is a confessional style feature documentary about Hollywood’s uncovered sexual harassment. With a mass appeal approach, the documentary explores a trending news topic in today’s sex-crazed society.

What is your role in the documentary?

I am the producer and director. This is my first feature directorial debut for a documentary.

What was the most challenge aspect about directing H.U.S.H.?

Shooting the women’s confessional interviews was a challenge because I wanted the talent to have the flexibility to tell the most accurate story as they recalled it. But doing so in a very compelling, engaging and credible manner. When you’re directing a documentary you don’t know exactly what your interviewees are going to say. Whereas with directing a narrative feature film, there is a screenplay to utilize as a blueprint for how the scene will be shot.

What inspired you to explore this subject?

I was inspired to develop H.U.S.H. after discussing the Bill Cosby incidents with industry friends. Oddly, it was quite a controversial topic because some of us blamed the women, and others saw them as victims. What was mutually agreed upon was that these incidents are not isolated and have been happening in the entertainment business for years.

I must admit that I was a little daunted by the topic, wondering if enough women would come forward to publicly share their stories. When I approached a few colleagues they declined to participate, expressing a concern for becoming blacklisted or seen as a tattle tail actress. But when I put out a casting call, the emails poured in from New York to Hollywood. Many women admitted to not having the courage to go on camera, but they expressed their support. Some even confided in me by sharing their story for the very first time.

I actually had an alleged Cosby victim approach me about being in my documentary but I respectfully declined. My vision for H.U.S.H. was to expose untold stories. Also, when the perpetrator is a celebrity that element can sometimes dilute the seriousness of the issue at hand. H.U.S.H. women tell all aspects of their sexual harassment incidents without revealing names of the perpetrators.

What was the most shocking sexual harassment incident that you have heard about since your time as a filmmaker?

As an African American woman working in Hollywood for over 10 years, I have personally experienced several jaw-dropping situations and received numerous immoral propositions. H.U.S.H. takes viewers through a riveting journey of intimate stories delivered by an all-female cast of diverse backgrounds. The sexual harassment incidents addressed in the film range from light moments to intensely appalling.

How has sexual harassment in Hollywood remained an issue that is rarely discussed?

There are several contributing factors to sexual harassment in Hollywood. The Cosby situation definitely opened up his eyes and hears. I’m thankful to PBS for taking a step in the right direction to educate our communities about this important topic. After H.U.S.H. airs in Los Angeles on April 30th during National Sexual Assault Month and again on May 1st, it will help open up the dialogue about this timely issue. Hollywood as a whole is making strides, such as HBO’s new drama “Confirmation” starring Kerry Washington as she portrays Anita Hill.

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
Hollywood?

Don't get me get started on this shyt. Hollywood has always been on some other shyt with the perversity. Insanely wicked area.

Edit: Board going to shyt again :huhldup: