New law helps to create a Cali-to HBCU back-to-Cali pipeline / *San Fran wants to bring HBCU satellite campus to city

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

New law grants up to $5,000 to community college students transferring to HBCUs​

Oct 3, 2023
Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill over the weekend that grants community college students who transfer to historically Black colleges and universities a one-time grant of up to $5,000.

California doesn’t have any HBCUs in the state, so students seeking this unique educational experience are required to head out of state, but in doing so, they may miss out on state aid.

A statement from the California Student Aid Commission said that this bill, Assembly Bill 1400, would “create a California-to-HBCU-to-California pipeline that would benefit not only our students, but the entire state.”

The pool of students eligible for these funds is small. The bill, authored by Assembly Majority Leader Isaac Bryan, notes that just 53 California community college transfer students enrolled at 39 HBCUs in 2021-22.

This program uses funds generated by the College Access Tax Credit. The commission said that due to federal tax changes, there has been a significant decrease in revenue, and the program no longer meets the demand of its intended target, low-income students. By repurposing the funds, the commission says the program now provides “more meaningful and impactful support” for a small number of students.

“AB 1400 creatively redirects funds to provide support to California’s students looking to transfer to an HBCU and bring their talents back to California,” Marlene Garcia, executive director of the California Student Aid Commission, said in a statement.

=================
@DrBanneker,
Cali was present in the out-of-state origin sections of a lot of the profiles in your series.
I can see the numbers increasing as students/parents see the CC to College route as more practical and less expensive.
Schools get stronger, more mature students.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

New law grants up to $5,000 to community college students transferring to HBCUs​

Oct 3, 2023
Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill over the weekend that grants community college students who transfer to historically Black colleges and universities a one-time grant of up to $5,000.

California doesn’t have any HBCUs in the state, so students seeking this unique educational experience are required to head out of state, but in doing so, they may miss out on state aid.

A statement from the California Student Aid Commission said that this bill, Assembly Bill 1400, would “create a California-to-HBCU-to-California pipeline that would benefit not only our students, but the entire state.”

The pool of students eligible for these funds is small. The bill, authored by Assembly Majority Leader Isaac Bryan, notes that just 53 California community college transfer students enrolled at 39 HBCUs in 2021-22.

This program uses funds generated by the College Access Tax Credit. The commission said that due to federal tax changes, there has been a significant decrease in revenue, and the program no longer meets the demand of its intended target, low-income students. By repurposing the funds, the commission says the program now provides “more meaningful and impactful support” for a small number of students.

“AB 1400 creatively redirects funds to provide support to California’s students looking to transfer to an HBCU and bring their talents back to California,” Marlene Garcia, executive director of the California Student Aid Commission, said in a statement.

=================
@DrBanneker,
Cali was present in the out-of-state origin sections of a lot of the profiles in your series.
I can see the numbers increasing as students/parents see the CC to College route as more practical and less expensive.
Schools get stronger, more mature students.

Sounds good. Given migration trends though, good luck in all the students coming back. Cali has one of the highest emigration rates for young, educated Black people.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Again another reason black Americans need to control states. You can do this to encourage further migration. Imagine if a black governor did this in Georgia to attract more black folks to HBCUs.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Howard is full of West Coast students I meet em all the time. Highkey, outside of the administrative fukkery at times the HBCU experience is truly incredible. Black people from all over the country/world creating a community on these campuses.
Yeah, i've met mad howard grads out here. I did a lil work for the sentinel, black newspaper in LA and a lot of the folks there are howard grads.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Yeah, i've met mad howard grads out here. I did a lil work for the sentinel, black newspaper in LA and a lot of the folks there are howard grads.

No shock there, frfr all the major cities are represented at HU you can meet people from NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, NO, Miami, the Bay, LA, Seattle, Boston, Atlanta shyt crazy.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I almost followed this path, the only issue is cost. I got accepted to Howard and Morehouse, once the financial aid package came it wasnt a real options after looking at the University of California school. Morehouse wanted $25,000 for me to attend while UCLA was $5,000 a year.
Coppin State in Maryland just got approved to charge in-state tuition to students from states without HBCUs.

Think this idea may catch in the future for other schools