Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Read the whole interview here:
Nas: Return of the Don (2012 Cover Story) | Complex

Life is Good will be your tenth solo album. Is this a watershed moment for you, or just another album?
This is different. The way you work, your approach, is different each time. I’m at a cool, mature, easy place.

You’re one of the few cats who can do gangster and Rasta and still maintain your frame of reference. It seems contradictory—Rasta and gangster—but is it?
Nah. “The Don” actually came from hanging around Rastas. That’s how we would greet each other when I was with the Marleys. That’s just big boss business. When people put on images—like being a gangster or a street guy—then you’re your own worst enemy. I’m an artist. I like to make the music that I like to make. If not, then you’ll be stuck trying to be a character. I’ve seen that happen to a lot of artists.

You become a caricature of yourself?
As much as the people want you to be a certain way, you can’t suffocate like that. If you do, I hope it pays off for you, by feeding the people what they want, all the time. That’s just not in my DNA.

@Ease

Rookie
Daps
I liked it. I think Nas has been on a roll with interviews since that one with Tyler the Creator.

fscballin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think the confusion on Nas part, lies in thinking that pure poetry is a hip hop luxury as opposed to a necessity.

If he refuses, someone else will have to step up, and give this artform a higher plateau
and take hip hop to heights its never been, giving the soul medicine, deliver flows eloquent

etc