New: Troy Ave - New York City: The Album

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
as for staying independent, dude 50 at his prime, with 10 mixtapes out, probably the hottest grassroots phenom in the last 15 years, was broke living in his grandma basement until he signed to aftermath, you need certain structures to succeed as an independt artist and new york just doesnt have those structures... ask yourself who was the last independent artist from nyc you heard of?
if the same scenario happened in 2013 regardless of the location then you wouldnt need a deal if you didnt want one...times have changed

scuba

All Star
Daps
I think the problem with Troy is that, even tho he makes dope ass music. He does not really "fit" in with this new generation of rappers. So labels are not gonna be fiending to throw a big bag of money at him. He will do Pusha T numbers at best.

What I think he needs to do is either link with a Def Jam or Interscope straight. And then just personally build his connections with Fab,Push,G-unit,Maino etc. And gun for being a Meek Mill type rapper. Who puts up 100,000 with sales. But has a strong following in the street, which will help him constantly get shows.

Any other method is gonna end up in failure. Troy will never be a hipster/backpacker/mainstream america darling.

Maybe I am wrong from the sound of his music and hooks i dont really think troy ave is looking to earn a living off rap, i think he is trying to be a millionaire which takes a lot of time unless you sign... but whatever good luck to him either way, i think his music will end up sounding better to my ears if he remains unsigned

scuba

All Star
Daps
if the same scenario happened in 2013 regardless of the location then you wouldnt need a deal if you didnt want one...times have changed
Explain how that works homie? I am not being faceitious, but dont give me one of them
1) Be Dope
2) The internet
3) ???
4) Profit
type business plans... tell me how you make money independent in a city that doesnt spin unsigned artists on the radio, doesnt have large venues for unsigned artists to perform at, doesnt have a few central stores/clubs/showcases that centralizes the 'scene'... school me

smahzay

Rookie
Daps
Ehhh doesnt really work out of new york, you cant survive as an independent new york artist... the infrastructure isnt built for that. Anyways I wish him luck I guess, maybe he can get the independent thing to work for him, but i am pretty sure i saw an interview where he was talking about trying to get signed, but waiting for the right deal not just any deal.

Fred the Godson maintaining w/o a major. As is pro era and flat bush zomies

smahzay

Rookie
Daps
This a classic .... and I use not give him a chances. Got that throwback golden era vibe....

scuba

All Star
Daps
Fred the Godson maintaining w/o a major. As is pro era and flat bush zomies

Fred the godson... i dont know much about him

pro era and flatbush zombies no one wants to sign... i am not dissing them, i just mean no major label has a clue what to do with those genres of rap these days

Troy Ave is very commercial not dissing him either but i could easily imagine him on regular radio if he got promoted his shyt is regular thug commerical rap,

but i hear ya tho