New York City Blackout '77 - NYC Burning

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
"Anyone who's ever flown into New York City at night, who's ever been in New York City at night, there are lights everywhere.

It's a beautiful image in a way."

The first part of this joint talks about the blackout itself, but around the 11 minute mark it starts goes into how New York was on the economic edge during the mid-late 70's. Shows how fragile conditions were in the poorer areas of the city.

Pure fire (no pun intended, nikkas was burning down boroughs back then).

Jonathan Mahler:
And, by 1977, I mean all of this was, was just such a distant memory. The ambitions of the city had diminished so greatly and this, this notion that the city could take care of the people who lived in, in it was, was gone.

Joshua Freeman:
New York hits a 12% unemployment rate in 1975. That's just a huge unemployment rate, and you can feel it all over, every place. It's visceral. People are hanging out on the streets, increase in petty crime. Ah, a sense of despair in a lot of areas, you know, of giving up.

Patrick Marshall:
We got finished at about eight in the morning. I just, I sat on the hood of the car and looked down Broadway. I said, "I think the neighborhood's done. I think the back has finally been broken." And it was. I truly believe that that night took the carpet out from under the people.

Anyone with any knowledge on it, speak on it brehs. :feedme:

Roll Call:
@Walt
@NV-ME
@No_bammer_weed
@K.O.N.Y
@BruhMayne
@Poitier
@bdizzle
@IllustratorMike
@Mowgli
@Hawaiian Punch