Newark, NJ joins 19 other cities in lawsuit against Kia & Hyundai over rise in car thefts

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Newark sues Kia and Hyundai over uptick in car thefts; thefts increased 1,200% between 2022 and 2023​

Feb 16, 2024

Newark has joined 19 other cities nationwide, including New York, in suing the automakers Kia and Hyundai for intentionally failing to include engine immobilizers in their vehicles from 2011 to 2021.

An engine immobilizer is anti-theft technology that makes a car more difficult to steal. Newark’s lawsuit aims to hold the automakers accountable for the steep rise in Kia and Hyundai thefts that saw more than 1,200% increase between 2022 and 2023—and in turn resulting in more violent crime.

“These two colossal automakers have failed to remedy their misconduct, refusing to provide the steering wheel locks and transponder chips demanded by the other suing cities,” said Newark Corporation Counsel Kenyatta Stewart.

Newark police says more than 19,000 overtime hours were used to address this car theft surge in the first 10 months of 2023. That amounted to more than $1 million in overtime cost. City officials say they want that money reimbursed from Kia and Hyundai.

The suit alleges all other car manufacturers made this a standard feature more than a decade ago, but Kia and Hyundai refused even though the company was aware its security failures were exposed in a viral TikTok in early 2022 and were aware by mid-2022 that thefts of its vehicles had soared as a result

OneManGang

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Lmao this is weird. Sue them for making their cars too easy to steal and now you have to work harder? :dahell:

South Korean car gang laust

Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Didn’t know these young nikkas was on they KiaBoy shyt out here.

nikkas game out here is to take ya shyt when you leave it running at the store to grab something real quick. Stole my boy whip like that and when he got it back they had ripped the whole dashboard screen/computer out.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I used to have a 1998 Infiniti I30. When I lived in Orange, NJ, people tried to steal in 3 times. It had an immobilizer so if you got it started it would die as soon as you tried to drive away. Had to replace the entire steering wheel column twice, and of course the driver window.

Then they tried to steal a custom radio I put in it. But there were so many screws that you have to use just to install it, they literally gave up. Passenger side window replaced.

Now a days, cats will car jack you quicker than they would steal a car, because they can get more money for a car with no damage and the keys.

Hondas have been easy to steal for decades btw.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna have to include the US government (NHTSA?) in the lawsuit, they allowed Kia and Hyundai NOT to put immoblizers in made for america cars.