Nick Grant: "The XXL freshman cover is a popularity contest"

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
yeah its about buzz and followers, not skill and work

but man for real desiigners freestyle for xxl was so funny its like this shyt needed to happen

i was high out of my mind when i first seen this but you cant lie and say it isnt a good odd fit

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who is this guy? I heard him @ a Heineken Green room event but I only went for the free booze
Guy from the south. That's can spit. Real lyrical.

I think he has gotten a couple of cosigns. BIG krit, killer Mike, jeezy even was nodding his head to a verse he was spitting on sway.

Check out his 88 mix tape.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Nick Grant is dope and probably my favourite new artist but unfortunately, his style isn't likely to get him that XXL look. He hasn't been co-signed by a legend so he's not gonna get that push the same way other lyrical rappers have in the past.

Same reason Rapsody never made the Freshmen list when it was painfully obvious she could have been on it like 3 years in a row.

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
duh :dahell:, its suppose to be for the up&coming rappers with the most 'buzz'

that's true, but i think he means it more about 'whos the coolest out', not 'whos the coolest new nikkas out with dope music to match'

alotta dudes in the running are buzzing heavy, but not cuz they actually make any good music, they just are poppin on social media

so maybe it feels like the music aspect of the freshman list is falling by the way side. i dont think the list all needs to be lyrical miracles, but i wont be surprised if the balance of the list this year is questioned.

who made it this year? is the list out yet?

Daps
i don't even think the xxl freshmen list is about young rappers with buzz. some nikkas on those lists have been around for years. the rappers who make it are INDUSTRY PLANTS

i remember the last year i paid real attention to the list, they had Oj the fukkin Juiceman on there when he was like 30 years old

the GOAT xxl freshman freestyle :wow: