No one told me that modern country music is basically blues now...

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
I planned on trying to get down to New Orleans for a jazz festival and was looking at the line up. I was looking at people I never heard of on there and trying to listen to a few of their songs and came across this dude called Chris Stapleton. I googled him and saw him listed as a country artist and I wondered what he is doing at a jazz festival. I go and listen to his song on Spotify and tell me how the fukk is this country music as we know it?

They are basically repurposing blues and black music and calling it country. It sounds good but what the fukk?

nullnullnullnull

Peace ✌🏿
Daps
Country is aesthetically, sonically and culturally just blues mixed with what some musical anthropologists have called “Appalachian folk”. Many early country artists were also blues artists or utilized blues bands to play their sound.

Country is essentially black music/black derived music. I have seen Stapleton admit at various points to being influenced by soul, R&B and blues. He’s being true to the country sound by re-injecting and emphasizing the blues. I think Stapleton is at least respectful of black American music and art.

It’s different to me than all those “classic rock” artists basically playing the blues scale and form but labeling it as everything but blues. Acting like they’re geniuses for ripping off Robert Johnson :mjlol:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's SOME country that's heavy on the blues, but the overwhelming majority of it absolutely is not.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps

They are basically repurposing blues and black music and calling it country. It sounds good but what the fukk?

This isn't Blues, this is more 60s soul. The type of song Leon Bridges would've made