North Carolina Republicans sue to preserve racial gerrymandering

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Alice Miranda Ollstein

North Carolina Republicans sue to preserve racial gerrymandering
They have asked the Supreme Court to cancel the 2017 election.

1*bQbYdrnQO2AfCXKmH2_KTA.jpeg

Rep. Garland Pierce (D-Scotland) addresses protestors during a special session at the North Carolina Legislature. CREDIT: AP Photo/Gerry Broome

Just before New Year’s Eve, North Carolina Republicans filed an emergency motion with the U.S. Supreme Court, asking the Justices to block a lower court ruling that found the GOP guilty of racially gerrymandering the statein order to stay in power. If their bid succeeds, the state legislature elections that were supposed to be held this year could be canceled.

A federal district court found in November that 28 of North Carolina’s 100 districts were unconstitutionally racially gerrymandered — drawn in a way that packs African American voters into as few seats as possible in order to make the surrounding districts easier for Republicans to win. That gerrymandering has allowed North Carolina Republicans to maintain a veto-proof supermajority in the state assembly even as the state’s popular vote is been split nearly evenly between the Republicans and Democrats. The court ordered state leaders to draw new maps by March and hold special elections in those districts later this year. Unless the Supreme Court intervenes, the new maps could upend political control of the southern swing state.

Federal court: North Carolina must redraw gerrymandered districts, hold special elections
The key southern swing state could look very different next year.thinkprogress.org

The new Republican petition calls the claims of racial gerrymandering “erroneous,” “highly debatable,” and “so obviously wrong,” and accuses the District Court of robbing the legislators elected in November of the right to serve their full two-year terms. Election law expert and University of California Irvine professor Rick Hasen has a different take: “The goal here is to preserve as much Republican power in the state as possible despite the election of a Democratic governor, attorney general, and now majority on the State Supreme Court.”

The lawsuit is just one of many steps the state GOP has taken to make sure newly elected Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, who won by a razor-thin margin and takes office this week, has as little power as possible. Just before the holidays, in an emergency special session, the Republican majority passed a bill that drastically cut back how many political appointments Cooper will be able to make when he takes office, and another that remakes the state Board of Elections and all county elections boards so that Republicans control them in all even-numbered years — meaning every year there’s a major election.

Republican Gov. Pat McCrory signed the bills into law just before leaving office, but his successor sued on Friday.

https://thinkprogress.org/north-car...racial-gerrymandering-edbe1cf51c09#.o4f19i3mt

This what the Republican party stands for.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
racist white people doing what racist white people do and we're getting threads about how many democratic seats were lost during the obama years. look away, this kind of behavior doesn't have anything to do with it. MAGA.

the so called black members of higher learning.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
I'm hoping this is just hyperbole.
nope.

You target black people for discrimination through restricting their voting access such as reducing polling locations to just one location in a black district, purge blacks from voting rolls just before election days, and are found by federal courts to discriminate against black voters with "surgical precision" ( The ‘smoking gun’ proving North Carolina Republicans tried to disenfranchise black voters) you deserve to burn in hell.

Our ancestors literally died trying to exercise the right to vote and protect black voting rights and you want to challenge that. Its disgusting and like I said, I wish some of these pricks were burned up along with their offices.

This is where its no longer simply a difference in political beliefs, its an act of war against the black population in the state.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
nope.

You target black people for discrimination through restricting their voting access such as reducing polling locations to just one location in a black district, purge blacks from voting rolls just before election days, and are found by federal courts to discriminate against black voters with "surgical precision" ( The ‘smoking gun’ proving North Carolina Republicans tried to disenfranchise black voters) you deserve to burn in hell.

Our ancestors literally died trying to exercise the right to vote and you want to challenge that. Its disgusting and like I said, I wish some of these fakkits were burned up along with their offices.

This is where its no longer simply a difference in political beliefs, its an act of war against the black population in the state.

I'm not on this vote or die dikkriding like you, so it doesn't mean taht much to me. But that thougt process you have is pretty terrible, need to reevaluate your life if you are thinking you are legitimate in reasoning. Just ask yourself, if they started going back to thinking how you are (white majority) you would be in hell, if that thinking is faulty for them to engage in, probably isn't the best for you to engage in as well.

JMO

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
racist white people doing what racist white people do and we're getting threads about how many democratic seats were lost during the obama years. look away, this kind of behavior doesn't have anything to do with it. MAGA.

the so called black members of higher learning.

There is no racism. Provide evidence that this is racially motivated.

:troll:

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
I'm not on this vote or die dikkriding like you, so it doesn't mean taht much to me. But that thougt process you have is pretty terrible, need to reevaluate your life if you are thinking you are legitimate in reasoning. Just ask yourself, if they started going back to thinking how you are (white majority) you would be in hell, if that thinking is faulty for them to engage in, probably isn't the best for you to engage in as well.

JMO
This is a concerted effort to minimize the power of a black population and move them to second class citizen status. Voting, at least in principle, is a way to make your voice heard to have some autonomy and voice on how your life is dictated by your representative government. This is part of an overall concerted effort to make it where in every aspect of society and government, only the white majority dictates who can do what and what happens in our government and society at large. Wars have been fought over less.

This isn't simply an issue of whether on an abstract level you think voting is useful or not. This is about making sure that you don't find yourself in an even worse position down the road due to an incremental dismantling of protections and rights of the black minority in this country. Once you realize that the stuff I mentioned in my previous post is only part of the overall puzzle in conjunction with constant legal challenges in the courts to civil rights laws and voting rights laws, and also combine that with the social prejudices and cultural racism that has been a part of this society since its founding, it becomes a much more serious issue.

If that isn't a concern for you, and you're in the group being targeted, that is fine. I personally think that perspective is foolish. However, for me, this crosses a line where I think "loving your enemies" is useless and doesn't have the right amount of bite to combat what is really going on.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
This is a concerted effort to minimize the power of a black population and move them to second class citizen status. Voting, at least in principle, is a way to make your voice heard to have some autonomy and voice on how your life is dictated by your representative government. This is part of an overall concerted effort to make it where in every aspect of society and government, only the white majority dictates who can do what and what happens in our government and society at large. Wars have been fought over less.

This isn't simply an issue of whether on an abstract level you think voting is useful or not. This is about making sure that you don't find yourself in an even worse position down the road due to an incremental dismantling of protections and rights of the black minority in this country. Once you realize that the stuff I mentioned in my previous post is only part of the overall puzzle in conjunction with constant legal challenges in the courts to civil rights laws and voting rights laws, and also combine that with the social prejudices and cultural racism that has been a part of this society since its founding, it becomes a much more serious issue.

If that isn't a concern for you, and you're in the group being targeted, that is fine. I personally think that perspective is foolish. However, for me, this crosses a line where I think "loving your enemies" is useless and doesn't have the right amount of bite to combat what is really going on.

Its political gamemanship and its ugly.
I don't give a damn about voting, in the US it hasn't meant a damn thing for black americans, and that isn't abstract that is in application.
That said again, your thinking is problematic, because like I said, if it was turned against you, you would be hollering the loudest.

I haven't said you should love anyone, I said its problematic thinking.
I don't expect anything from the US government of white people in general, especially anything positive, that said Not wasting mental property on hating and wishing death on anyone either.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Its political gamemanship and its ugly.
I don't give a damn about voting, in the US it hasn't meant a damn thing for black americans, and that isn't abstract that is in application.
That said again, your thinking is problematic, because like I said, if it was turned against you, you would be hollering the loudest.

I haven't said you should love anyone, I said its problematic thinking.
I don't expect anything from the US government of white people in general, especially anything positive, that said Not wasting mental property on hating and wishing death on anyone either.
Its not problematic for me. However, you have to ask yourself, at what point does "do unto others as you want them to do unto you" actually have any standing in a society that does not follow the rule itself. While you're standing around getting smug self-satisfaction in taking the high ground because you didn't "go low", the other side is constantly going low to minimize your power and to enhance their own. Just because you decided to go high, doesn't curtail them from their actions.

Besides, I'm not advocating firebombing personally. I'm not advocating violence. I'm just saying my sympathy for them is gone and at this point I kind of wish a few of these a$$holes were in the building at the time. Its simply a thought. :hubie:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Its not problematic for me. However, you have to ask yourself, at what point does "do unto others as you want them to do unto you" actually have any standing in a society that does not follow the rule itself. While you're standing around getting smug self-satisfaction in taking the high ground because you didn't "go low", the other side is constantly going low to minimize your power and to enhance their own. Just because you decided to go high, doesn't curtail them from their actions.
Do unto to others isn't dependent on if others follow it, its dependent and matters only to the person that values it as a principle. If you value you it as a principle and you think its worth living buy, then you do so, regardless of others.

If you think someone saying they wont engage in behavior they would criticize from others, or engage in thought or ignorance that they would critique in others, if you think that is smugness, that says more about you than about who you are trying to critique. Not being hypocritical, simple is not being hypocrticial.

Again though, like i said, I see no value in getting angry to the point you start wishing violence and fire bombings on others