NSA Wiretapping and Snowden on the run

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
"A federal judge on Friday found that the National Security Agency's bulk collection of millions of Americans' telephone records is legal and a valuable part of the nation's arsenal to counter the threat of terrorism. U.S. District Judge William Pauley said in a written opinion (PDF) that the program 'represents the government's counter-punch' to eliminate al-Qaeda's terror network by connecting fragmented and fleeting communications. In ruling, the judge noted the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and how the phone data-collection system could have helped investigators connect the dots before the attacks occurred. 'The government learned from its mistake and adapted to confront a new enemy: a terror network capable of orchestrating attacks across the world. It launched a number of counter-measures, including a bulk telephony metadata collection program — a wide net that could find and isolate gossamer contacts among suspected terrorists in an ocean of seemingly disconnected data,' he said."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superstar
Daps
I know govt. is popular around here but :rudy::snoop:

Remember I said the emphasis on the phrase "likely" was permissible when the other judge said it was unconstitutional ?

:ufdup:

Told you....not everything is always easy to pinpoint as black or white.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Are you basically saying "oh well"?:dwillhuh:

In a way, yes. Even if you get the Supreme Court to say its 100% illegal and the NSA/FBI/CIA can't spy, they will still do it. They need to. Its an unfortunate situation thats needed in the technology age. I don't agree with it or approve of it but its going to happen regardless. I think the only hope is to try to legislate as much transparency as you can so at least we know how they are spying, on what, etc. At least this way we're not completely in the dark . If the courts deem it illegal, the agencies will still spy. Maybe they'll just go offshore to do it. When they do this you lose any and all insight into what they are doing.

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
Can someone explain to me why this would be a bad idea? Has the NSA harassed you lately? And if they did, what for?

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
This is good. Learn to play ball and you wont have a problem. When your GDP per capita is damn near 50k I dont want to hear excuses. If youre a libertarian, terrorist, or opposed to banks and war :ufdup: