NYC Sues Social Media Companies Over Youth Mental Health Crisis

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.

NYC Sues Social Media Companies Over Youth Mental Health Crisis

The lawsuit was filed to hold TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and YouTube Accountable for their damaging influence on the mental health of children, Adams said. The lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court, alleged the companies intentionally designed their platforms to purposefully manipulate and addict children and teens to social media applications. The lawsuit pointed to the use of algorithms to generate feeds that keep users on the platforms longer and encourage compulsive use.

"Over the past decade, we have seen just how addictive and overwhelming the online world can be, exposing our children to a non-stop stream of harmful content and fueling our national youth mental health crisis," Adams said. "Our city is built on innovation and technology, but many social media platforms end up endangering our children's mental health, promoting addiction, and encouraging unsafe behavior." The lawsuit accused the social media companies of manipulating users by making them feel compelled to respond to one positive action with another positive action.

"These platforms take advantage of reciprocity by, for example, automatically telling the sender when their message was seen or sending notifications when a message was delivered, encouraging teens to return to the platform again and again and perpetuating online engagement and immediate responses," the lawsuit said. The city is joining hundreds of school districts across the nation in filing litigation to force the tech companies to change their behavior and recover the costs of addressing the public health threat.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
There's a non-zero chance that this is the most important battle of our time. I mean that completely seriously.

While there are plenty of other existential crises rearing their heads, I think it's possible that addiction to social media and the absolutely life-changing impact that is having on youth (and even adults) could make EVERY other crisis impossible to solve. Ask anyone who works with young people right now - society is getting absolutely fukked up and we have no idea where this is going to lead.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
There's a non-zero chance that this is the most important battle of our time. I mean that completely seriously.

While there are plenty of other existential crises rearing their heads, I think it's possible that addiction to social media and the absolutely life-changing impact that is having on youth (and even adults) could make EVERY other crisis impossible to solve. Ask anyone who works with young people right now - society is getting absolutely fukked up and we have no idea where this is going to lead.
:wow: