Obama and Harris are children of immigrants. Would voters elect a D.O.A.S like me: LA times

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Opinion: Obama and Harris are children of immigrants. Would voters elect a descendant of enslaved Americans, like me?

President Obama walks with California Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris after arriving at San Francisco International Airport in 2012.
(Eric Risberg / Associated Press)
By ERIN B. LOGANSTAFF WRITER
DEC. 18, 2020
3 AM
SNELLVILLE, Ga. —
When I told my high school religion teacher I wanted to be president, he encouraged me to pick a more realistic profession for a Black woman.

His comment stunned me. Barack Obama wasthen in the fourth year of his presidency, but my teacher, who is white, thought that a Black politician had made it to the White House only because of the severe economic downturn and a slowly changing electorate. Most white Americans did not vote for Obama in either the 2008 or 2012 election, and the backlash against him began immediately after he took office.

Perhaps I could beat the odds, my teacher said. But history suggested that my imagined campaign was dead on arrival.

I had dreamed of becoming president since the second grade. This country is full of incompetent leaders who make terrible decisions. I believed I could do better. But my religion teacher’s analysis triggered angst, which worsened after Donald Trump’s uncouth appeals to white racial resentment made dog-whistling seem genteel.

Sure, in Georgia, Stacey Abrams nearly won her 2018 race for governor and she helped organize the impressive turnout that helped deliver the state to Joe Biden this year. And that warmed my soul. A politician whose nightly tradition includes wrapping her hair in a bonnet nearly became the chief executive of my home state.

But it would be hard to imagine a woman like Abrams prevailing in a nationwide contest.

You’re probably thinking: What about Vice President-elect Kamala Harris?

Her spectacular ascent is inspiring. She is more than qualified to be next in line to the presidency. Her status as a graduate of a historically Black university, and her Caribbean and South Asian heritage, are unorthodox.

But Harris’ cosmopolitan, immigrant background — with its uncanny parallels to Barack Obama’s — makes me wonder if a woman like me, descended from Black people who were enslaved in America, can ever be viable on a presidential ticket.

Obama and Harris both grew up partly abroad: Obama in Indonesia, Harris in Canada. Both had immigrant parents: Obama’s father was Kenyan, and Harris’ father is Jamaican and her mother was Indian. Both had fathers who were academic economists, and mothers with PhDs: Obama’s in anthropology, Harris’ in nutrition and endocrinology. Both were born in the early 1960s — Obama is 59, Harris is 56 — at a time when America was on the precipice of big societal changes.

But unlike Obama and Harris, I can’t claim any particular nation as an ancestral homeland. My ancestors were kidnapped and forcefully separated from their families, languages and traditions.

I see my heritage as uniquely American. And though that history is horrific and bloody, I take pride in my ancestors’ fortitude and strength. But leaning into my heritage on the campaign trail would likely turn off some voters because it would resurface an ugly history they wish to forget, Niambi Carter, a political scientist at Howard University, told me.

“When Black people bring up slavery and Jim Crow, an unintended consequence is a belief, by some, that they are participating in a culture of victimization that paralyzes progress,” Carter told me.

Carter said that some voters “herald integration as proof of a post-racial America.” Indeed, many Americans who voted for Obama and Harris see them as emblems of progress. But in 2020, we must recognize that representation is not enough.

Harris has spoken powerfully about the impact of school desegregation in her childhood. But many voters see her as part of a colorblind meritocracy and may think she is “less angry and less jaded about her place in the world than African Americans whose Black ancestors endured slavery and Jim Crow,” Carter said.

Harris’ immigrant background does not minimize her Blackness. But some voters see Black immigrants as an “elevated minority,” Christina Greer, a political scientist at Fordham University, told me.

Americans see immigrants of all backgrounds as hardworking. I do too, perhaps thanks to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “Hamilton.” But this stereotype can be juxtaposed with racist ones about African Americans being lazy.

The problem with this assessment is that these people are comparing an apple tree with an orchard, Greer told me. Many immigrants had the help of political, financial or social clout to get here. The life outcomes of Black immigrants cannot be rightfully compared to those of African Americans, in part because immigrants are not fully representative of the socioeconomic diversity of their home nations.

Sadly, that distinction is not often at the forefront of voters’ minds.

Harris is able to tap into a “superman mythology” of hailing “from everywhere and nowhere,” Greer told me. Like Obama, she has a multifaceted image that allows voters to draw on parts of her identity that resonate with them, just as Obama’s white Kansas ancestry — via his mother — helped him connect with white Midwestern voters.

It is truly monumental to have two Black people in a decade ascend to the height of American politics. Yet “it is still true that race matters,” Carter told me.

“Harris being the child of immigrants doesn’t exempt her from anti-Blackness,” Carter told me.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Carter noted that some mock Obama’s and Harris’ names as hard to pronounce. And both have faced false allegations that they were born elsewhere and thus ineligible to be president — and that they are not even really American.

These slanders resonate with me because they’re indicative of what it means to be Black in America: No matter how far you go, people will still tear you down because of your Blackness and because they don’t think you belong.

In fact, “Black Americans are the most American of Americans,” Orlando Patterson, a Harvard sociologist, told me. Though African Americans have been here longer than the majority of white Americans, they are not seen as such — because America has historically been understood as a country for white immigrants.

“Their Americanness is denigrated in that respect,” Patterson told me.

Harris and Obama are not white immigrants. But their story is “seen as more consistent with the white American story,” Patterson said.

Ari Fleischer, who was a presidential spokesman under George W. Bush, said Harris is “not that historically exciting” to Black people. That’s certainly not true. I am excited to see a Black woman in that position of power because it’s shown how far this nation has come. But it is still true that how Black candidates fit into the mainstream affects how they connect with voters nationwide.

And for those descended from American slaves, it will be an uphill battle to the highest offices of this land.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
There are only certain Black folk that American voters would ever elect to high office, but I don't think that being ADOS or not is as big a deal as the author makes it out to be.

If Obama had the name, face, and backstory of Deval Patrick or Cory Booker, do we really think the election would have turned out any differently? Obama and Harris got where they did due to particular personalities and skills combined with a lot of lucky timing. The vast majority of ADOS candidates wouldn't have been allowed into that position, but neither would the vast majority of anyone. You have to have a set of characteristics that make you appear both "competent" and "safe" to the white voter, and both ADOS and non-ADOS can have them.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
with obama now no longer being a one-off, it's clear that not being ADOS helps to some degree. cacery runs deep in america; we dont even get to be governors often. our heritage gives people a guilty conscience and triggers them on some subconscious level unless you are a total c00n. being too big of a c00n in a highly visible position also ruins you with the black vote, so it kills your chances on the other end. maybe these multi-national blacks thread the needle? whites arent triggered, and ADOS dont really feel they owe us as much performative loyalty

Lurking Class Hero

Medicine for loneliness
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm open to this argument, but I've not been entirely convinced of it. Part of the problem is that we have such a small sample size. Obama's such an unusually skilled and charming politician that it's hard to draw wide conclusions from him, which leaves us with Kamala. The only argument the article makes for non ADOS status helping Kamala is:
"....many voters see her as part of a colorblind meritocracy and may think she is “less angry and less jaded about her place in the world than African Americans whose Black ancestors endured slavery and Jim Crow,” Carter said."

Is this really true? I don't think it is. Kamala Harris was extremely unpopular during the democratic debates. She got some good press when she made the "that little girl was me speech", but she did poorly thereafter and got beat up pretty badly by Tulsi Gabbard. It's interesting that if you google 'Kamala Harris angry' you get scores of articles suggesting that Harris was subject to the same 'angry black' stereotypes ADOS are said to get. As far as meritocracy is concerned, the belief that Harris slept her way to the top is not exactly uncommon.

Moreover, the author of the article seems to undermine her own argument when she says:
"Carter noted that some mock Obama’s and Harris’ names as hard to pronounce. And both have faced false allegations that they were born elsewhere and thus ineligible to be president — and that they are not even really American.
The
These slanders resonate with me because they’re indicative of what it means to be Black in America: No matter how far you go, people will still tear you down because of your Blackness and because they don’t think you belong."

If this is true how is being non ADOS an advantage?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
There are only certain Black folk that American voters would ever elect to high office, but I don't think that being ADOS or not is as big a deal as the author makes it out to be.

If Obama had the name, face, and backstory of Deval Patrick or Cory Booker, do we really think the election would have turned out any differently? Obama and Harris got where they did due to particular personalities and skills combined with a lot of lucky timing. The vast majority of ADOS candidates wouldn't have been allowed into that position, but neither would the vast majority of anyone. You have to have a set of characteristics that make you appear both "competent" and "safe" to the white voter, and both ADOS and non-ADOS can have them.

Agree. For people to believe what the OpEd is saying, they would have to ignore a few other facts.
Jesse Jackson's run in 1988, with him having a much stronger showing than 84, winning some Dem. primaries. His photogenic namesake Jr, being personally groomed for an eventual presidential run.
Harold Ford Jr. being groomed by the DNC for an eventual run, even given a primetime speaking slot at the Convention one year to raise his national profile. And also having the power and connections of an influential father behind him. CBC co-founder and longtime Cong. Harold Ford Sr.

Both rising stars were derailed. Jesse by scandal, Harold by a loss trying to land a Senate seat.

The fact the neither of these two AA Men were mentioned in the article, nor the two AA Men that you brought up, it calls into question how serious the author is. Removing Trump from the equation, I believe that all of the Pres. nominees since 1988 have been former governors or Senators (except H.W. Bush). The two men you mentioned have reached that level.

Article ignores that both Patrick and Booker ran for president recently. Several things have to align for a candidate to be successful, and it didn't work out for Booker this time. Booker has had a national profile for decades, photogenic, likeable, his track record as mayor of Newark speaks to his competence/leadership, has powerful backers.
The voters didn't connect with him this time around, but anybody who thinks that his full AA heritage is the reason for that is lying to themselves.

*Harris is in the White House. She was the scapegoat here for 2 years. I think it pains people to have to acknowledge that yter babble/diaspora wars had NO EFFECT on the election.

First it was "she's not us" and after several pivots and her becoming VP it becomes "bu bu but white people only like her because she's not us". *

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
To my earlier point about Governors and Senators, you can count the number of Black women who have been elected to those offices in the 50 states with TWO FINGERS. Senator Carol Moseley Braun and Sen. Kamala Harris.

carolmoseleybraun021903home.png

JlKOBkNzoHFUiOthIJnHWoVliJGi8f8LVKBFGRP-KcNzB_naykKghNFR-nd3TWJriP-AYDm0LE2VALn-UJXJgayIVDbqkByMjIejM_dgaZM4j2wY6d8sy0tum16vl8Gi5RS64bk

51p2qlFeV2L._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

Both launched campaigns for president, and both withdrew relatively early in the race.

Here is Braun's withdrawal speech from January 15, 2004
cued

Here is Harris' withdrawal announcement on Dec. 3, 2019

==========================================
This OpEd is all over the place. There have been TWO Black women elected as Senators, and ZERO elected as governor in the history of the 50 states. Winning a statewide election like that is almost a prerequisite for seriously contending at getting the party nomination for president. From my memory there have been two exceptions in the past 40 years, and one was Reagan's VP when he ran.

The two women who got to that political level(AA Braun and Jam. American Harris) both ran for president, and dropped out citing lack of voter and financial support. What is even the basis for this article?????

Last edited:

hjnm

All Star
Daps
Agree. For people to believe what the OpEd is saying, they would have to ignore a few other facts.
Jesse Jackson's run in 1988, with him having a much stronger showing than 84, winning some Dem. primaries. His photogenic namesake Jr, being personally groomed for an eventual presidential run.
Harold Ford Jr. being groomed by the DNC for an eventual run, even given a primetime speaking slot at the Convention one year to raise his national profile. And also having the power and connections of an influential father behind him. CBC co-founder and longtime Cong. Harold Ford Sr.

Both rising stars were derailed. Jesse by scandal, Harold by a loss trying to land a Senate seat.

The fact the neither of these two AA Men were mentioned in the article, nor the two AA Men that you brought up, it calls into question how serious the author is. Removing Trump from the equation, I believe that all of the Pres. nominees since 1988 have been former governors or Senators (except H.W. Bush). The two men you mentioned have reached that level.

Article ignores that both Patrick and Booker ran for president recently. Several things have to align for a candidate to be successful, and it didn't work out for Booker this time. Booker has had a national profile for decades, photogenic, likeable, his track record as mayor of Newark speaks to his competence/leadership, has powerful backers.
The voters didn't connect with him this time around, but anybody who thinks that his full AA heritage is the reason for that is lying to themselves.

*Harris is in the White House. She was the scapegoat here for 2 years. I think it pains people to have to acknowledge that yter babble/diaspora wars had NO EFFECT on the election.

First it was "she's not us" and after several pivots and her becoming VP it becomes "bu bu but white people only like her because she's not us". *

Yup I think Booker and Patrick both missed their moment because Obama came through so quickly. Booker is like the perfect candidate almost, photogenic, PAC 10 athlete, Rhodes Scholar, Yale Law. and Patrick was the only Democratic Governor of his state in recent memory.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
You think racists see Obama and Kamala and think "they're not desendents of slaves, so I'll vote for them"?...

This is silly as hell.

Kofi Annan, the Ghanaian former UN secretary general, while a student in the United States, visited the South at the height of the civil rights movement. He was in need of a haircut, but this being the Jim Crow era, a white barber told him "I do not cut ****** hair." To which Kofi Annan promptly replied "I am not a ******, I am an African." The anecdote, as narrated in Stanley Meisler's Kofi Annan: A Man of Peace in a World of War, ends with him getting his hair cut.

I order a beer and the white guy next to me says, "Where are you from? Where is your accent from?" I say, "Kenya." Relief, followed by the words "Welcome to America. I thought you were one of them." The thirsty writer in me is intrigued. Now that I am on the inside, I can ask "What do you mean?" "Well, you know how they are," followed by a litany of stereotypes. Eventually, I say my piece but the guy looks at me with pity: "You will see what I mean." Never mind that to his "Welcome to America," I said I had been in the US for 20 years

African in America or African American? | Mukoma Wa Ngugi

White supremacists don't see us all the same.