Oddisee's Creative Process (interview)

IronFist

🎯 𝓘𝓵𝓵𝓾𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓽 🎯
Supporter
Daps
-------------------------
How did you go about making beats for The Odd Tape? Do you have a stack of hard drives full of finished music you can pull from to make a new record? Or do you follow an entirely new idea from start to finish?

I am the latter. Most of the stuff on my hard drive is out and available. I don't have a lot of extra music.

Why make an all-instrumental album now, when you've just put out two rap records and are working on another?

It's a mixture of art and commerce. Every year I release an instrumental record and a vocal record. This year it will be The Odd Tape, and my solo album which will be a vocal record. Then, there's this other thing that came out called Al Wasta. There's a reason why it came out when it came out. Normally, I know that I'm going to do an instrumental album and a vocal album every year. I make those records, nothing more nothing less, from start to finish in chronological order.
And once I produce 12 tracks, then I'll write, from track one to track twelve. Once I write everything, then I'll record from track one to track twelve. Always in order, always from start to finish, and once it's done, there's nothing left over. Everyone thinks that I've got all this stuff left over, but I don't.
Now the interesting thing is timing. I started The Good Fight on the day after Thanksgiving in 2014. And I turned it in on January 13th, 2015.

You work fast.

And then The Odd Tape was turned in directly a month after The Good Fight. So around February 13th, 2015. And it's been sitting in the label's Dropbox folder ever since. We said "Alright, let's go ahead and put The Odd Tape out in 2016," because my label's release schedule was already booked up. And I don't mind at all.

Interview: Oddisee Takes On Gentrification, Donald Trump, And His Own Hip-Hop Identity

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
:salute:

i think how he handles his output is dope. we always hear about rappers being like, i recorded 92341 songs for this album, or i got 53452352562 songs stashed away

dude makes what he releases and just makes sure its fire :obama:

Last edited: