Official Apple 9/12/17 Event Thread (iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus, LTE Apple Watch, 4k Apple Tv)

JordanWearinThe45

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
iPhone x

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11670.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11729.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11726.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11792.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11801.JPG

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11986.JPG

The iPhone X has glass on both the front and the back, and it has “surgical-grade” stainless steel around the sides. It comes in two colors: space gray and silver. It also has the highest pixel-density (458ppi) display ever in an iPhone, with Apple calling it a Super Retina display. It measures 5.8 inches in diagonal size and has a resolution of 2436 x 1125. It’s also the first OLED display that is, in Phil Schiller’s words, “the first OLED display great enough to be in an iPhone.” Like the iPhone 8, the iPhone X also has True Tone display technology.

Apple has omitted the home button for the first time, replacing it with an upward swipe from the bottom of the phone. Along with the home button, which used to house the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, Apple is also moving away from fingerprint authentication. The new method is called Face ID and does what the name suggests: it unlocks the phone just by having you look at it. It’s based on the tech in the notch at the top of the phone: it combines an IR system with the front camera and a so-called flood illuminator that beams a light at your face to help it be recognized even in the dark. Apple even went to the extra step of building a dedicated neural engine — based on a dual-core custom chip design — to process face recognition in real time.

Face ID, according to Apple, is orders of magnitude more secure than Touch ID. The company claims a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of a random other person being able to look at your phone and unlock it through Face ID. The new facial authentication will also work will Apple Pay and all third-party apps that already supported Touch ID.

The iPhone X has dual 12-megapixel rear cameras, and it’s equipped with dual optical image stabilization. The sensors are both larger and faster, according to Apple, and the main camera has an f/1.8 aperture while the telephoto lens has an f/2.4 aperture. In between the two cameras is a quad-LED True Tone flash with a supposedly twice the uniformity of light.

The A11 processor that was introduced with the iPhone 8 earlier in the event is, of course, present inside the iPhone X. It has two performance cores, four high-efficiency cores, and the first Apple-designed GPU. Apple has now announced a wireless charging pad to unify the wireless charging of all its mobile devices and calls the overall system AirPower. The AirPower charging pad will be available next year.
The iPhone X is priced at $999 with 64GB of storage or $1,149 with 256GB. Preorders open on October 27th, and shipping begins November 3rd.

iPhone X announced with edge-to-edge screen, Face ID, and no home button

iPhone 8/8 Plus
apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11253.0.jpeg

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11519.JPG

Apple has officially announced the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which are updated versions of last year’s iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models featuring with faster processors, a True Tone display, and upgraded cameras.

The jump from the iPhone 7 to the iPhone 8 is pretty significant, marking the first time since the iPhone 3GS was released back in 2009 that an iPhone model hasn’t received a spec-boosted “S” variant. Apple may be moving up numerically, but the new iPhone 8 models look to continue the same rough design the company has been using since 2014 from the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

One of the biggest changes comes in the form of a glass back, in order to enable one of the biggest internal changes: inductive wireless charging, which wouldn’t have worked through the aluminum shell of the old model. And, like the iPhone 7, there’s still no 3.5mm headphone jack.

The wireless charging looks to be similar to implementations on basically every other smartphone. Simply place the phone on a charging pad, and it’ll charge up (with the added bonus for iPhone users that wirelessly charging leaves the Lighting port free for wired headphones). Apple will be using the widely used Qi charging standard, which is good news for anyone who’s already bought into wireless chargers.

On the camera front, there’s a new 12-megapixel sensor on the iPhone 8 that is larger, faster, and finally has optical image stabilization. The iPhone 8 Plus also has new sensors, and offers f/1.8 and f/2.8 apertures now. The dual cameras on the 8 Plus also have a new "Portrait Lighting” feature to adjust the lighting for portrait shots. And Apple says that the improvements apply to video, too, with Apple executive Phil Schiller claiming that the new devices have the “highest quality video capture ever in a smartphone,” with support for 4K/60fps video. Slow motion videos now support up to 1080p resolution at 240fps, doubling the the iPhone 7’s 120fps option.

Apple is touting the iPhone 8 as the first smartphone designed for augmented reality, with cameras calibrated for AR, along with a new gyroscope and accelerometer for better motion tracking.

The iPhone 8 will come in three colors: space grey, silver, and gold. The smaller 8 model will start at $699 for a 64GB model, while the 8 Plus will start at $799 for 64GB of storage. Both models will also have larger 256GB models, for $849 and $949, respectively. The two phones will be available for preorder starting Friday, September 15th, with a release date a week later on September 22nd.

The iPhone 8 will have wireless charging, a True Tone display, and a new A11 Bionic processor
AIRPOWER
apple-airpower.jpg

Apple isn't just adding Qi wireless charging to its latest iPhones; it's trotting out a charging standard of its own. AirPower is built in partnership with Qi, but can top up multiple devices at once. At the September 12th presentation, Apple illustrated AirPower topping up an iPhone X, an Apple Watch and AirPods (with a new charging case) all at once. That's more than a little handy if you're traveling and would rather not lug around multiple adapters and cables. However, you'll have to wait to try it out.

The company's own charger won't arrive until sometime in 2018, you see. As such, you'll have to use 'old-fashioned' Qi chargers from third parties in the meantime. Also, it remains to be seen whether or not AirPower will get wide adoption beyond Apple itself. The wait isn't a huge deal for most people (the odds are the phone is the only wireless charging device you have), but it's clear that AirPower is currently more of a nice idea than a practical reality.
Apple's AirPower tech wirelessly charges multiple devices at once
APPLE TV 4K
app4k-ed.jpg

Apple has just unveiled a long anticipated upgrade to its Apple TV set-top box, which is now capable of playing movies and TV shows at 4K Ultra HD resolution. Tim Cook said TV is at an “inflection point” with the mainstream adoption of 4K. The new Apple TV hardware puts the company on equal footing with Roku, Amazon, and Chrome, all of which already offer devices capable of 4K streaming.
The Apple TV’s user interface has been redesigned and is now optimized for 4K resolution — as have the screensavers that play when the device is idle — and there’s also a revamped Siri Remote included to go along with it. Apple’s Eddy Cue announced that major Hollywood studios will be bringing 4K movies to the iTunes Store, and customers who’ve already purchased eligible films in HD will automatically be upgraded to 4K at no extra cost. That’s a heck of a deal.

4K Apple starts at $179 for 32GB and $199 for 64BG. Order Sept. 15th, Available Sept. 22nd.

The 4K Apple TV is here

APPLE WATCH 3

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_10659.JPG

apple2017-2337.jpg

dims

The Apple Watch Series 3 shares a similar case design as its forebears, but most crucially, comes with a built-in cellular radio. In addition, the hardware comes with a built-in speaker for Siri, improved internals and Apple music streaming. Yes, you can now make calls from your Apple Watch.

The standard Series 3 will ship for $329, while the LTE variant will set you back $399. The Series 1 model is also being kept around as a base model at $249. The device will be available to pre-order on September 15th and will begin shipping on September 22nd.
NILA23c.jpg

Its going down @ 10AM PST/1PM EST

Live stream will be here: Watch the Apple Special Event

OR

Apple today sent out media invites for its annual iPhone-centric event that will be held on Tuesday, September 12 at 10:00 a.m. at the Steve Jobs Theater at the company's new Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. The media invites offer a first look at the theme of the event and feature the tagline: "Let's meet at our place."

The upcoming 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones have not been heavily featured in rumors, but they too are said to feature glass bodies, support for wireless charging functionality, and improvements to the processor, camera, and other components.

The iPhones aren't the only upgrades Apple will unveil at the event. Rumors suggest Apple will introduce a third-generation Apple Watch with an LTE chip that allows it to be decoupled from the iPhone. There's been some talk of a potential redesign, but it's sounding like the third-generation Apple Watch will look a lot like the Apple Watch Series 2.

At the event, we may hear more about upcoming products like the iMac Pro and the HomePod, and there could be one other major hardware surprise in store for us - a new 4K Apple TV. Hints of such a device have been spotted in firmware leaks and we've known Apple has had a new Apple TV in the works for some time.

As for other hardware, many iPads and Macs were refreshed in June, so we are not expecting any updates to the Mac and iPad lineups, but expect to see new Apple Watch bands and new iPhone cases.

We've already been testing next-generation operating systems including iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, tvOS 11, and watchOS 4, but following Apple's event, we may see some of these updates released to the public. iOS and watchOS updates are often released just ahead of new iPhones, while macOS updates tend to come somewhat later. tvOS 11 is such a minor update that it isn't clear when it'll be released, but it could come alongside the other updates. One thing we may not see -- an Amazon Prime Video app. There's one in the works, but word is it won't be ready in time.

Apple Invites Media to September 12 Event at Apple Park: 'Let's Meet at Our Place'

Almost that time again my Apple brehs :ahh:

What ya'll copping? I'm auto-coppin that iPhone 8plus, MIGHT finally cop an AppleTV. I have the OG Apple watch, lets see if this new one is worth an upgrade.

Last edited:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
man, it is about that time. but I'm not getting a new phone this year. I had the 6S, and destroyed it trying to replace the battery when I bent the battery and it literally caught fire and destroyed the charging port which made me have to replace the entire phone. so now that I got the 7, there's zero reason for me to come off more bread to cop a new phone when this shyt is less than a year old.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Getting the IPhone 8. Ready to upgrade from my 6. :blessed:

Don't know if you know this or not OP but from all the leaks so far, there won't be an IPhone 8 plus. Unless that was a typo and you meant to say "plus I might get the Apple TV".

I'll probably get the new Apple Watch on sale sometime next year after I trade in my current one.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
My current lineup and thoughts.

Iphone 7plus - Seeing the 8 might convince me to upgrade, but I don't really need it
Apple TV (4th gen) - 4k would be a cool upgrade, but the current model already looks incredible on my LG c6. the 4th gen is such a leap over the 2nd gen If the price goes down I'm getting another.
Watch series 0 (wife is series 2) - My watch is showing it's age, but I have no use for LTE in a watch, people have whined about it for years, but who's really going to pay for a separate line for a watch ?? I can answer calls on my 3 year old watch from across my house as is.
Ipad Air (gen 1) - I want the new pro from April, but again, my old one is doing fine, I can't justify.

JordanWearinThe45

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Getting the IPhone 8. Ready to upgrade from my 6. :blessed:

Don't know if you know this or not OP but from all the leaks so far, there won't be an IPhone 8 plus. Unless that was a typo and you meant to say "plus I might get the Apple TV".

I'll probably get the new Apple Watch on sale sometime next year after I trade in my current one.
Yeah I don't think it's gonna be a "plus" but I think the screen size is almost the same as the plus right?
Was gonna cop that Apple Series 2 watch but now I think I'm gonna wait for the series 3
At this point in the game u minus well wait

Krazy

Rifle weh taller dan palm tree
Daps
Reppin
Judgement Yard
iPhone 8 its looking like for me.

Should have just jumped on that Iphone Upgrade Programme last year when I got my 7, but depending on the price I may jump on it this year.

My iPhone 7 is fine I guess, but im a sucker for new technology.
We'll see If my wallet agrees with my feelings after I see it unveiled fully.

I just hope this FaceID stuff is a good replacement for the fingerprint...I'd much rather the fingerprint, but I guess they'll bring it back next year once they figure out the in screen solution.

Last edited: