Official Dr Amos N Wilson thread

Daps
The greatest scholar I've ever had the pleasure of reading and listening to.

This man was a genius in every meaning of the word.

Truly a great gift to black academics worldwide. We need to apply the work he has left. All of the divisional topics on this site and people still don't get it. We are suffering everywhere!

At what point does unity of our inheritance come forth and we rid ourselves of not controlling our own destiny?

It hurts my heart that he died in obscurity. God willing, when I become a tyc00n. I want to fund a think tank in his honor.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The greatest scholar I've ever had the pleasure of reading and listening to.

This man was a genius in every meaning of the word.

Truly a great gift to black academics worldwide. We need to apply the work he has left. All of the divisional topics on this site and people still don't get it. We are suffering everywhere!

At what point does unity of our inheritance come forth and we rid ourselves of not controlling our own destiny?
Completely agree. Greatest black thinker of All time

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Dr. Wilson was a true genius and master. If any of you ever have children you should get his books on raising Black children. Invaluable and give you things to think about how to prevent your kids, especially boys, from being silently undermined by the larger culture around them, both the majority and bad apples in our own.

Get it when they are very young since he goes into how you should nurture, feed, read to your kids etc. to best help their development. He has REAMS of citations too so this isn't just some 'hotep babble'.

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
We gotta take it a step back and start organizing lectures like this in the community again; closed venue by invite only; no cameras, no recordings, just conscious lectures and info plugs into opportunities in the city.
I've noticed there's a small man syndrome amongst black men and women in the conscious communities.

Everyone is convinced that their way is THE way, they also think everyone is dumb and all we gotta do is hop on their movement(with them as leaders).

Be it group funding, infrastructure and land/agriculture, finance, education, history, spirituality.

Very few have a "let's see how we can integrate the best parts of each system to create the best system to solve our immediate, intermediate and long term needs and goals".

Dr Amos Wilson often spoke about how the most difficult people he worked with were the conscious/Black nationalists, he said he got more down with the "middle of the roaders".

I had a guy here in South Africa from Baltimore, MD, who wanted to acquire land in the Eastern Cape (Xhosa Land) or Kwa Zulu Natal (Zulu Land). He's been here for years, 15+ and all his plans haven't gotten nowhere coz he thinks he can meet and understand local Chiefs and Kings with Baltimore accent and that everyone should just jump on "Black Power" shtick just because. Political naivety and cultural ignorance.

When I tried to explain to him the way in which he'd have to finnese land from the government, he dismissed it as being Machiavellian cut throat, coz in his head he's Marcus Garvey here to save the dumb Africans from themselves

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
I've noticed there's a small man syndrome amongst black men and women in the conscious communities.

Everyone is convinced that their way is THE way, they also think everyone is dumb and all we gotta do is hop on their movement(with them as leaders).

Be it group funding, infrastructure and land/agriculture, finance, education, history, spirituality.

Very few have a "let's see how we can integrate the best parts of each system to create the best system to solve our immediate, intermediate and long term needs and goals".

Dr Amos Wilson often spoke about how the most difficult people he worked with were the conscious/Black nationalists, he said he got more down with the "middle of the roaders".

I had a guy here in South Africa from Baltimore, MD, who wanted to acquire land in the Eastern Cape (Xhosa Land) or Kwa Zulu Natal (Zulu Land). He's been here for years, 15+ and all his plans haven't gotten nowhere coz he thinks he can meet and understand local Chiefs and Kings with Baltimore accent and that everyone should just jump on "Black Power" shtick just because. Political naivety and cultural ignorance.

When I tried to explain to him the way in which he'd have to finnese land from the government, he dismissed it as being Machiavellian cut throat, coz in his head he's Marcus Garvey here to save the dumb Africans from themselves
We don't appraise ourselves realistically and that leaves us shortsighted on a number of issues working against us, notably the rigidity you mentioned in the first three lines. The fourth is the most pragmatic, that requires a diplomatic approach with each other we've yet to attain, an example being the man from Baltimore.

For the above points, nationalists and conscious members hold to a rigid system that, while not out of step with what's needed, is counterproductive when not in-step with solving the immediate and future problems. To make the connection, the conscious/nationalist camp represent a similar ignorance to adhering to a cultural norm that can be beneficial.

Studying the history and putting it into perspective is highly necessary, sadly that isn't as easy as it sounds.

Daps

Black man's Burden mindset