Official 'Nightwing' Movie Thread - Chris McKay Directing

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Old news and no release date yet, but they've got a director, which is more than you can say for a few of their upcoming movies.

Exclusive: ‘Nightwing’ Movie Director Chris McKay Teases His “Badass Action” Take - 9/14/2017
Collider’s own Christina Radish spoke with McKay at the press day for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which he produced, and when asked about his take on Nightwing, McKay shared his enthusiasm for finally bringing dikk Grayson to the big screen:

“I’m a big comic book fan, and being able to do the story of Nightwing, to do a dikk Grayson story, which is a character that every single person in the world knows, but has never really had a lot of screentime. They make a billion Spider-Man movies and a lot of Batman movies, and they’ve tried The Hulk. When they were making the Tim Burton movies, they were always like, ‘Oh, maybe we’ll do Robin in this now. Maybe we’ll save Robin for Returns. Nope, we’ll save it for the next one.’ With Christopher Nolan, people were like, ‘Is he gonna do Robin?’ When they made Batman v Superman, they were talking about it. I’m a big fan of underdog stories, and he is one of the biggest underdog stories in comics. And he’s a character that I grew up with. I like the arc.”

That arc, of course, is something of a zero to hero:

“You always thought Robin was the dork and were like, ‘I don’t want to be like Robin. I don’t want to play with Robin. I wanna play Batman.’ But Robin was there as a window character for little kids like me to understand Batman’s world and see into Batman’s world. There’s no other character in comics that went through this real-time transition. Every other character lives in a rough version of the age that they’re in. Very few characters actually grow up in the comics and become something else, and go from being a boy to being an adult, and have their own life and become their own thing.”

As for what McKay has planned for Nightwing specifically, the film is still a ways off and casting hasn’t begun, but he hopes to focus on the practical strengths of the character rather than relying on CG effects:

“It’s gonna be a fukking badass action movie with a lot of heart and emotion. It’s gonna be a crazy, fun ride. Whoever gets cast as Nightwing, and any of the other actors around, are gonna go through a fukking boot camp experience because it’s gonna be a lot. I’m not gonna do a lot of CG. It’s gonna be all real shyt. It’s gonna be real stuntwork, and they’re gonna need to do all of the stuff on camera and do it credibly. For the cast and the crew, it’s gonna be a visceral experience, and for the audience. It’s not gonna be like a lot of these movies where there’s a lot of CG and flying, and things like that. Everything he does is gonna have to be real. His superpower is being really fukking good, as a human being, at fighting and gymnastics and shyt like that, so you’re gonna see that on screen. It’s gonna be fun!”

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
dnt like this, why wld i wanna see nightwing fight batman villians when i cld see batman do it, same with the batgirl movie their villans wld be batman villans, why not just throw them in his shyt. its the same as watching a war machine movie, like ok but why not iron man

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think they should have done a more recent live action Robin before doing this movie but whatever still could be good.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
The DCEU Nightwing Movie May Be Facing A Significant Delay

With Chris McKay in talks to direct the Dungeons & Dragons movie, his DCEU Nightwing film could be facing a significant delay. It’s been almost exactly one year since it was first announced that McKay would be helming dikk Grayson’s first live-action solo movie. The project’s initial development phase hasn’t exactly been speedy; we still don’t know when the film will be released or who will star in it, nor do we have any indications on what it will be about. And as of two weeks ago, the script hadn’t actually been turned into the studio yet. McKay has long maintained that he and screenwriter Bill Dubuque were taking things slow in order to get it right, but recent reports indicate that fans may have to wait far longer than expected for Nightwing to arrive in theaters.

The most recent rumors regarding the DCEU’s upcoming film slate seemed to indicate that the Nightwing solo movie was pretty high up on the priority list for Warner Bros. That’s why the recent news that McKay may sign on to helm the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie comes as a pretty major shock. While Nightwing was never given an official release date, pre-production was set to begin sometime this year, barring any script issues. That would’ve put dikk Grayson on schedule to hit the big screen somewhere between late 2019 and…well, sometime in 2020. Paramount, however, just set D&D’s release date for July 2021, which means that if McKay signs on to direct, a scheduling conflict will likely emerge.

But on top of Varietys scoop that McKay may direct D&D, The Tracking Board is now reporting that Nightwing isn’t as far up on the DCEU priority list as we thought. The site’s Editor in chief Jeff Sneider puts it pretty plainly: “Of all the projects in development at DC Films, the NIGHTWING movie is towards the back of the line.” If rumors hold true (and this is a big if) and McKay is looking to direct both Nightwing and D&D, we have to imagine that one of them will be arriving much later than expected. And unfortunately for DC fans, it’s looking like Nightwing would draw the short stick in that scenario.

Nightwing may not hit theaters for another 5 years
Simply put: if McKay does indeed agree to direct D&D (again, that’s a mighty big if at this point), it’s highly unlikely that he’d be able to complete Nightwing before he had to start work on all those dungeons and dragons. That’s simply too much to ask from a director who’s never helmed a live-action Hollywood movie before, and given his previous statements about not wanting to be cornered into unreachable release dates, it just doesn’t sound like a move he’d make.

If McKay is considering signing on to direct D&D — a fantasy film that will require a bunch of prep work and even more time in post-production to iron out the necessary digital effects — it’s because he knows he has an open slot in his schedule. The recent reports regarding Nightwing’s place on the DCEU food chain would seem to confirm as much. Aquaman, Shazam, and Wonder Woman 2 are all we expect from DC’s shared universe in 2018 and 2019, and The Batman, Suicide Squad 2, Flashpoint, and Todd Phillips’ Joker movie are among the litany of projects that are on deck after that. Warner Bros. has a ton on its plate as it is, so they probably wouldn’t be too upset over the idea of waiting until the time is right for Nightwing.

So when should fans expect Nightwing if McKay ends up making D&D first? Well, if Paramount sticks to their July 2021 release date, dikk Grayson won’t be gracing the big screen until late 2022 at the earliest. 2023 would probably be the safer bet. Then again, movie schedules aren’t exactly the most ironclad things in the world.

Could Dungeons & Dragons be bumped back instead?
As DCEU fans know all too well, movie release dates are often subject to change. Between script rewrites, actors/directors’ schedules, and various other factors that cause production delays, designated release dates are far from a concrete thing. So even if McKay signs on for D&D, it’s entirely possible that Paramount will shift its release date back by a year or two to accommodate his schedule. They can’t be tooattached to it, since they just claimed the July 2021 slot a few weeks ago. If Paramount is convinced that McKay is the man for the job, D&D could be delayed.

Keep in mind, however, that Paramount was the studio that refused to allow Henry Cavill to shave his mustache for the Justice League reshoots because he was filming Mission: Impossible – Fallout for them at the time. They’re not out to do Warner Bros. any favors.

One last thing to keep in mind: as of now, this is all simply a hypothetical based on rumors and early negotiations. McKay could very well end up passing on D&Daltogether, and the Nightwing movie would be right back where it was yesterday, no harm, no foul.