Official Personal/Passion Projects Thread

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Are you taking your new Python skills for a spin via a new app? Maybe you are in the process of turning on a self-hosted VPN? Jumping into PiHole before Manifest v3 rolls out? Working on using Docker instance to run Windows 11 + Linux on a used $70 laptop?

Whatever passion project you are working on, the purpose of this thread is to share it with the class... whether it's to ask for objective feedback, share a workaround you created, ask for help or just to revel in your progress.

Duke Wy Lin

It's been a good run. Wish y'all the best āœŠšŸæ
Daps
Bookmarked. I got an idea for a project that will solve a problem I and others have been dealing with at my company. These fools own hundreds of locations in many different countries yet still rely on PDFs and Excel sheets to store contact details for each location :snoop:

Not to mention suppliers, contractors etc. I can't believe nobody thought to organize that information into an app.

Tip for brehs who are learning to code: look for opportunities in your current job. If they rely on spreadsheets for certain processes, see if they can't be done more efficiently with code.

BlaxOps

Pro
Daps
Bookmarked. I got an idea for a project that will solve a problem I and others have been dealing with at my company. These fools own hundreds of locations in many different countries yet still rely on PDFs and Excel sheets to store contact details for each location :snoop:

Not to mention suppliers, contractors etc. I can't believe nobody thought to organize that information into an app.

Tip for brehs who are learning to code: look for opportunities in your current job. If they rely on spreadsheets for certain processes, see if they can't be done more efficiently with code.
When I was in corporate, we used ServiceNow for that. Can be used for a directory, asset management, ticketing, alerts, asset discovery, managed downloads, and more.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Bumping this to share this thread digging into the data on black people.It was over in TLR so I almost missed it.

Great job using data and hoping that any future projects are crossposted in this thread @DrBanneker

Thanks, I didn't use Python on this, just Excel but I did use Python to parse census data and find areas where there are large numbers of high income Black people located together which I used to make these for the PG County thread (though I actually live in Philly)

XHS62Vj.png

HFeQCOS.jpg

I mainly learned Python with scientific computing but it is pretty good for a lot of stuff. I can mass parse tweets with the Twitter API as well.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I did a HBCU analytics thread parsing csv databases from the Department of Education in Python and graphing it with R using ggplot.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Over the last two weeks, I've gotten really into front-end, privacy-first alternatives for popular websites (ie reddit -> teddit) and I noticed all of them offer the opportunity to self-host.

Went down a rabbit hole and just installed Docker Desktop on my Chromebook. I previously took a course during Covid lockdown but forgot most of it. There are a few interesting related projects that have piqued my interest that I've ignored in the past, but this could be fruitful if I can allocate regular time to it...Things like a self-hosted audiobook/podcast server, a locally hosted large language model that I can fine-tune with personal data or just hosting things for the world as an instance.

So far, I've managed to connect my Chromebook's command line interface to both Google's AI model as well as OpenAI's model. Google's just takes a cookie while OpenAI requires an API key.

You can tell by a lot of the links that I've started taking advantage of Github more. I initially thought that AI/LLMs would be the death of coding, but now I think the opposite might be true. I think that solely coding as a career might be harder to make a living, but on the flipside, I think that more and more people will find coding more accessible moving forward because the ability for AI to explain error messages is a game-changer...

I feel like tech-savvy people take for granted just how terrible StackOverflow is, or just searching online for solutions. I'm hardheaded, so I'm used to burning an hour comparing different websites for answers, but even I'm relieved that I can copy/paste error messages and get an immediate answer. It's definitely not always the right answer I've found (the LLMs never tell you that they need more context, they just make an educated, confident-sounding guess even if they're way off) but it makes troubleshooting generally less offputting.