Official thread : Terence Crawford vs Felix Diaz : you crash when you take BUD Light

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
1491323490-Crawford-vs-Diaz.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Felix Diaz has been calling out unified junior welterweight world champion Terence Crawford for months, and he finally got his man.

Their camps have agreed on a deal for Crawford to make his fifth title defense against Diaz on May 20 in an HBO-televised main event at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, both sides told ESPN on Wednesday.

The paperwork is not yet signed, but Crawford promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank and Diaz promoter Lou DiBella both said they have agreed to terms and that they are in the process of finalizing the details.

It brings an end to a very difficult negotiation that came about only when one opponent after another dropped out of contention: Antonio Orozco, because he has an April 1 fight already scheduled; Amir Imam, who was unacceptable to HBO; and Adrian Granados, who was not available for May 20, following a grueling decision loss to Adrien Broner on Feb. 18 (and who has lost to Diaz).

That left Diaz, a 2008 Olympic gold medalist, as the only viable opponent and, according too many, by far the most credible.

"Crawford said that he wanted to defend his titles against the best opponent we can get," Arum said. "The problem with Diaz was the original asking price was higher than other candidates, appreciably higher. After negotiating, the ask was not appreciably higher and, therefore, we were resolved to make the match because he was the best guy available.

"I have matchmakers, Brad [Goodman] and Bruce [Trampler], who say Diaz is a very capable guy and he will give Crawford a good fight. His early fights were not that entertaining, but more recently, he's shown himself to be an entertaining fighter."

The 33-year-old Diaz (19-1, 9 KOs), whose recent fights have been at welterweight because he was unable to lure quality junior welterweights into the ring with him, suffered his lone defeat by disputed majority decision to former junior welterweight titlist Lamont Peterson in October 2015 on Peterson's home turf in Fairfax, Virginia, just outside his hometown of Washington, D.C. In his next fight, Diaz bounced back with an impressive 10-round decision victory against then-undefeated rising contender Sammy Vasquez in July.

When Crawford bypassed Diaz to take on huge underdog John Molina in December, Diaz fought a stay-busy bout in the Dominican Republic and stopped Levis Morales in the sixth round. DiBella also has been campaigning for Diaz to get a shot at Crawford. DiBella was happy he finally could deliver the fight to Diaz, even though he was not happy with the deal.

"I think it's a terrific fight, and it took me almost a year of working really hard to get him the opportunity," DiBella said. "He wanted this fight but, honestly, I don't love the business deal I was forced to make. But Top Rank controlled the A-side, and he's a guy perceived as a top pound-for-pound guy, so I'm a smart guy and had no illusions about my leverage or lack thereof.

"But I made a deal that gives my fighter the opportunity to prove how good he is, and he believes he can win, and so do I. I also think Felix Diaz is the perfect opponent for Newark, because there's a strong Dominican community there and [Dominican-heavy] Washington Heights in New York is just over the river and short drive, so I think there will be a lot of Dominicans representing for Felix."

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but DiBella didn't get nearly what he wanted for the bout -- or for future fights that Top Rank will control in the event Diaz wins. Still, DiBella said he was happy to get his fighter the chance.

"He has been salivating for this fight forever, and I got him what he wanted, and that's my job," DiBella said. "This was not an easy one to make, but generally, if there's a fight to be made, Arum and I can make it; but I am not sitting around partying about the deal I had to make. But the kid got the fight, and that's the most important thing."

Crawford (30-0, 21 KOs), 29, of Omaha, Nebraska, handily won all three of his fights in 2016, but only one came against a top opponent, Viktor Postol, whom he routed in a unanimous decision to unify two of the 140-pound titles in July. Crawford, the former lightweight world champion and 2014 fighter of the year, also beat heavy underdogs Hank Lundy by fifth-round knockout and Molina by eighth-round knockout.

Now Crawford is stepping up to face a highly regarded opponent again.

"Diaz is obviously a better opponent than Molina and Lundy. No question about it," Arum said. "I'd say Diaz is a very significant opponent, like [Yuriorkis] Gamboa and Postol, who were very significant opponents at the time he fought them. I would put Diaz in the same category as Gamboa and Postol."

Arum said the HBO co-feature has not been finalized, but he hopes to make a lightweight match between Raymundo Beltran (32-7-1, 20 KOs) and Jonathan Maicelo (25-2, 12 KOs).

Beltran, 35, a Mexico native fighting out of Phoenix, lost a 2014 lightweight title fight to Crawford by near-shutout decision. He has won three bouts in a row. But he also served a suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2015. Maicelo, 33, a Peru native fighting out of North Bergen, New Jersey, has won four in a row, including an upset 10-round decision against of Jose Felix Jr. on Feb. 17. Maicelo's last loss was a lopsided decision to Darleys Perez in an interim lightweight world title fight in January 2015.

Also, featherweight Shakur Stevenson, a Newark native and the 2016 U.S. Olympic silver medalist, will also be on the card for his first pro fight in his hometown. He will turn pro on April 22 in Carson, California.

Crawford, Diaz agree to May 20 showdown

Crawford the 140 lb unified king

ring music: nikkaz done started something but killa Crawford gone finish it!!!

Last edited:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
u don't think it will be a lil competitive? a few fans thought he beat the Peterson who they just thought beat Garcia....

that's where his hype comes from

It's a good fight, but I don't think it will be that competitive.

Crawford is more skilled, faster, taller, longer, and hits harder. I expect Crawford to win in style.........but with saying all that, it's still the best fight Crawford could've made at the time, so no hate allowed on this one after Crawford puts hands on him:obama:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
SHAKUR STEVENSON RETURNS FOR SECOND PRO FIGHT ON MAY 20 CRAWFORD VS. DIAZ UNDERCARD
By Press Release | May 03, 2017
shakurstevenson.jpg

Hot off his high-profile pro debut, 2016 Olympic silver medalist SHAKUR STEVENSON will soon return to the ring for his second professional bout. The crown jewel of the U.S. Olympic boxing team and the Pride of Newark, New Jersey, will be featured in a six-round featherweight bout on the undercard of the TERENCE "Bud" CRAWFORD - FÉLIX DÍAZ World Junior Welterweight Championship, Saturday, May 20, at the Mecca of Boxing, Madison Square Garden. He'll be facing Carlos Suarez (6-3-2, one KO), from La Plata, Argentina. This will be the first time Stevenson has fought close to home since the New Jersey Golden Gloves in early 2015. Crawford vs. Díaz will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing®, beginning at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.

Stevenson, 19, made his pro debut, on April 22, defeating Edgar Brito via a six-round featherweight technical decision. The fight was stopped just after the beginning of the sixth round with the ringside doctor ruling that Brito was cut too badly from an earlier clash of heads to continue. Stevenson won every round on every judge's scorecard. The fight was featured on a world championship tripleheader pay-per-view telecast at StubHub Center in Carson Calif. Stevenson has been training for this fight in Colorado Springs with Crawford.

"It's been a long time since I fought so close to home and I can't wait to perform in front of my friends and family," said Stevenson. My city has always supported me and I know that Newark is going to come out on May 20. There have been so many huge fights at Madison Square Garden and I'm excited to fight in the Big Room where so many greats have fought before. I'm training out in Colorado with Terence Crawford and I'm happy I get to fight on his card in such a historic arena. I'm going to make sure everyone comes out and supports us both. It feels good to have my first pro fight under my belt. My pro debut was great, I had two Olympic gold medalists walk me out and my hero Andre Ward ringside yelling instructions to me. My opponent was tough and tried to make it dirty but I learned a lot and am going to put that knowledge to good use on May 20 in my first east coast professional fight."

"I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. Shakur has the opportunity to fight at The Garden in his second fight, where as I've fought over 30 times and have yet to have a fight on that sacred ground," said two-division world champion Andre Ward, who co-manages Stevenson. "Actually, I guess that's the way it's supposed to be. The next generation going further than the older generation. I'm super excited for him, he shines the brightest on the biggest stage. There are not too many bigger stages than The Garden in boxing, and really all of sports."

"My first fight there was exciting being that it was Madison Square Garden, but it was in The Theater. I didn't get to fight in the Big Room in my first fight like Shakur," said Crawford. "I'm excited to fight in the Big Room being that there hasn't been a Top Rank show there since Miguel Cotto. I'm glad Shakur will be on the card with me."

"It's only his second professional fight, but Shakur is more than ready to make his debut on boxing's biggest stage, Madison Square Garden," said Todd duBoef, president of Top Rank.. "He is made for the bright lights of the Big Apple and he will shine like a diamond on May 20."

In last year's Summer Games, Stevenson sailed though every stage of his Olympic competition in Rio De Janeiro before losing a close split decision in the bantamweight championship fight to 2012 flyweight Olympic gold medalist Robeisy Ramirez of Cuba. Ramirez swept the judges' scorecards in round one with Stevenson returning the favor in round two. In the third and final round, the closest of the three rounds, two of the three judges gave the round to Ramirez and the gold medal, by the slimmest of margins. It was the best finish for an American male boxer since Andre Ward captured the gold medal in the Athens Games of 2004. Newark came to a standstill each time Stevenson stepped into the ring in his quest to win Olympic gold. On the day he fought Ramirez, "Stevenson Fever" was at its peak. Barry Carter, columnist for the Star-Ledger, reported the following: "At Broad and Market streets, the city put its '24 Hour of Peace' rally on hold and set up a big screen for residents to watch the fight." At the CityPlex 12 Theater in Newark, hundreds of fans and family members wearing t-shirts emblazoned with "In Shakur's Corner," crammed in to see the fight, all sitting on the edge of their seats, to watch the live-streamed fight and cheer for their man.

Ward is now part of Stevenson's management team along with James Prince and attorney Josh Dubin. The only boxer to make Forbes "30 Under 30" in its Sports category, Stevenson was selected by a panel of judges comprised of James Harden, shooting guard for the Houston Rockets, Phil Knight, Chairman Emeritus of Nike and Casey Wasserman, Chairman and CEO of the Wasserman Group.

The oldest of nine children, Stevenson, who is named for the late rap star Tupac Shakur, was introduced to boxing by his grandfather, Willie "Wali" Moses, at age 5. Now based in northern Virginia, Stevenson is trained by Moses and Kay Koroma.

Promoted by Top Rank®, in association with DiBella Entertainment, Tecate, Antonio Leonard Productions and Madison Square Garden, remaining tickets to the Crawford vs. Díaz world championship event are priced at $250, $150, $100, $75, $50 and $35. They can be purchased at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008), and online at www.ticketmaster.com and www.thegarden.com.

SHAKUR STEVENSON RETURNS FOR SECOND PRO FIGHT ON MAY 20 CRAWFORD VS. DIAZ UNDERCARD || FIGHTHYPE.COM

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
Let's go TC
Diaz :ufdup:

Bud gon' get you, I aint forget your lil disrespect
NO Bud, gon' spank your for that shyt you said.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps

Top Rank Unveils New Digital Series, CAMP LIFE

Press Release
Write For Us

FOLLOW RINGNEWS24 ON TWITTER AND FACEBOOK

CAMP LIFE, the new digital series produced by Top Rank®, will make its debut later this week with a four-part feature on undefeated two-division world champion and top pound for pound fighter TERENCE “Bud” CRAWFORD.

Designed to give a behind-the-scenes look at training camps of fighters in the Top Rank stable, CAMP LIFE gives fans a real taste of training camp as fighters prepare for their battles. CAMP LIFE will be distributed on various platforms, including Facebook, Top Rank’s You Tube channel, Twitter and Top Rank’s website..

In CAMP LIFE: TERENCE CRAWFORD, viewers take a journey to Colorado Springs, where Crawford, surrounded by family, trainers and sparring partners, prepares for his May 20 defense of his unified World Boxing Organization (WBO) / World Boxing Council (WBC) / Ring magazine titles against former Olympic gold medalist and top-rated contender FÉLIX DÍAZ in a marquee all-action fight..

The fight will take place at Madison Square Garden’s main arena and will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing®, beginning at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.

Here’s a preview of the Top Rank-produced four-part series CAMP LIFE: TERENCE CRAWFORD.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Glad to see Top Rank doing something different and trying to give TCraw a little push with the YouTube series, more boxers need to start doing that and try to promote themselves more.

On another note, any Ring heads going to this fight? I was planning on going but 5/20 is looking crazy as far as televised fights